The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opening line-up *NO TRADES*

BieksaSedin

Sigh, same old same old on here. Richardson and Santorelli will be the starting 3rd and 4th line centers to begin next season. Barring Horvath / Schroeder just blowing everyone away in camp. Top line will be Sedins and Burr, Kesler Higgins and Booth are likely the second line. then the third is likely to be Hansen Richardson Kassian to start the season with Sestito, Santorelli and possible Ferriero / Gordon / Weise etc on the fourth. That is the most experienced and most likely to be the starting set up for this team. It is possible rookies win spots and push these guys out but they will have to really show they deserve to be there over guys that the GM just brought in. Will it be the same by the mid way mark of the season, likely not but that is how they are likely to start the season.

except he has a year of junior hockey left if he doesn't make the team, I'd like him to get his 8 games and then make a decision. Schroeder may excell under torts don't know why people are giving up on him after a decent rookie season with very little ice time

Opening game line-up:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Sestito - Santorelli/Gaunce - *Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

*Alberts - Tanev

Luongo

Lack

If Gaunce performs well in the preseason, I would not mind seeing him start a few games before going back to the OHL. Maybe he plays well enough to stay...

Edit: either Schroeder or Jensen on the 2nd line if Booth is a no show.

Why does everybody think that the Sedin's NEED a big power forward? When have they shown their best success? Lets go back many year's when they were 2nd liner's Magnus Arvedson was one a tear with his SPEED before he tore is ACL. Jason King who had a good half season with the sedin's and was calder talk was a very good Speedy forward. Anson Carter he hit and found his way to the net not by being a huge power forward but his speedy forecheck. Burrows skates hits and score with them but is not considered a power forward by any means. All faster skaters with some decent hands and skill.

Stick with what they like and skilled skater and hard nosed forechecking forward.

sedin-sedin-kass

jensen-kesler-burr

higgins-richardson-hansen

sesito-lain-weise

booth will not start the season due to his injury.. shredder will start in the AHL because he is a known entity. bo guance and shinner will go back to the juniors to marinate but they will be given there games in the nhl for experience . we will see shredder this year due to a roster injury or someone under performing . he will need to play like a boss or will go back down and become a trade chip. booth may have his chance but if the youth rise to the occation he will be on waivers.

Higgins has proved to a least score when he is on the 2nd line with Kesler so I would put Booth where he belongs, on LW 3rd line. There is no way Booth has good enough hands to be on the 1st line or 2nd line. If Jensen produces, he could warrant a trade of one of Booth, Higgins or Hansen(I would hate to see this guy traded.

1st Sedin Sedin Kassian (as long as he produces)

2nd Higgins Kesler Burrows

3rd Booth Gaunce Hansen

4th ? Richardson ?

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

I wouldn't mind having this as our line-up for game 1.

Resigns: Dale Weise $800,000

Kellan Lain $950,000

Chris Tanev $1,150,000

Jordan Schroeder $950,000 (AHL) * We all saw flashes of what this guy can do at the NHL level giving him a season (maybe half a season in the AHL to develop more wouldn't be a bad thing*

Call up: Brendan Gaunce as the Third line centre. I believe he is the most ready out of anyone else. (Unless Horvat surprises everyone)

Line changes:

Forwards

1st line . - A healthy Booth is a dangerous Booth. A big power forward who can score would gel perfectly with the Sedins. Booth isn't afraid of being physical and getting into the hard areas, including the front of the net.( a place Kesler was fond of in his amazing 2011 season).

2nd line. - Kassian has showed chemistry with Kesler before, ever since his first game actually, and I don't really need to talk about Burrows and Kesler together.

3rd line. - You have 2 speedy wingers in Higgins and Hansen partnered with a big power forward down the middle. Best part is? They can all pitch in and provide some nice depth scoring.

4th line. - Not much to talk about. TOUGH is all the comes to mind. Sestito - Richardson - Weise

Defence no big changes really. All normal match ups

Goalies Lu+Lack will win funniest Twitter goalie tandem.

Sedin - Sedin - Booth

Burrows- Kesler- Kassian

Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Weise

(Lain) (Santorelli)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Corrado

(Weber)

Luongo

Lack

This leaves us with about $750,000 if i remember correctly

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Richardson-Santorelli-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Gaunce could be somewhere but he'll be back to junior after his 9

If we can sign people I'd sign Fistric around 800K then:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Fistric-Tanev

write it down.. opening day lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Jensen - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Santorelli - Gaunce - Weise

(we all know Booth will be injured during the first couple of preseason games)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Corrado

Luongo

Laak

IMO this line up might not be bad.

D Sedin H Sedin Kassian

Higgins Kesler Burrows

Booth Santorelli Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise/Jensen

Edler Beiksa

Garrison Tanev

Hamhuis Corrado

Weber

*Santorelli had chemistry with Booth from the past so could try it out*

It's either we sign all the free agents and are successful or we put all the rookies in and are. Both are ridiculous, and the proof is in the pudding.

Plenty of teams try building contenders through free agency, but the most consistent style of winning comes from organization-built talent and some recent good trades/acquisitions.

Gillis will not abandon talent that has been shown to be useful yet could potentially be put on the trading block (higgins, hansen, booth, edler) Those kinds of players have specific roles, and with Gillis moneyball tactics, he's simply looking at what is needed to be put into the forumla to win.

- faceoff winning centers (who have history with our own roster players) = Santorelli, Richardson

- 6/7/8 depth defenceman who are young but capable = (Weber, Guimond, Corrado)

- young depth forwards who can fight/score/play = (DeFazio, Ferrario)

Yes, most are Utica signings, but any good organization that wants to contend has respectable depth. Expect maybe 1 or 2 more Utica signings, or maybe even 1 nhl roster player for our bottom-six.

I think Gillis is doing fine. He's doiing what I want him to do. (trade schneider, build depth, new coaching staff, draft better)

I never really cared about big FA signings, mainly because I passed Grade 8 Math.

Be smart with your money, and trust your direction. I've said this plenty of times already, and I'll say it again; I'm so excited for next season.

Archived