The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opening line-up *NO TRADES*

BieksaSedin

Canucks better pray both Jensen and Gaunce can make the team, and contribute, because Booth is a hugely injury prone, and not likely to work out. Canucks are very, very thin up front this year, and look like they're falling behind most of the other top teams that have made moves to improve their rosters. This season in the new division could be a nightmare in the making. Thank God we still have the Lions.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Santorelli

Hamhuis-Beiksa

Garrison-Tanev

Edler-Corrado

Alberts-Webber

Loungo

Ericksson

LOL at people putting Higgins and/or Hansen on the 4th line behind Kassian, Jensen, Shinkaruk, or even Booth...Both Higgins and Hansen are veterans and our most consistent performers if anything they move up not down. I think if one of the rookie/young wingers really does well in camp/preseason then they get the 1 open top 6 spot...If 2 rookies/young wingers do well then probably they bump Booth out of it but I don't think that's likely.

If Weise is re-signed:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen (If Gaunce becomes a scorer in the AHL, then replace Schroeder or one

Sestito-Richardson-Weise of the 4th liners with him)

If Weise isn't re-signed:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen (Look above for Gaunce)

Sestito-Richardson-Santorelli

If Tanev is re-signed:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Tanev-Corrado

If Tanev isn't re-signed:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Weber-Corrado

Outside of a 9 game stint I don't see Gaunce, Shinkaruk or Horvat making the team. A player has to be an exceptional talent and dominate junior to skip the AHL. It doesn't happen very often. People were amazed with Skinner, but he was a 7th overall pick with 50 goals in the OHL as a 17 year old. Horvat and Gaunce aren't quite at that level. Shinkaruk put up the numbers but is probably best off developing properly.

Gaunce is two full seasons away, Shinkaruk & Horvat three before we can really start penciling them in the starting lineup.

• 2 weeks later...

You forgot Booth. And maybe put Schroeder on Horvat's RW

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins/Booth - Horvat - Schroeder

Booth/Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Bieksa

Tanev - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

That's the best possible line up (at least for the first 9 games) we can get without making any more trades/signings IMO.

The thing is for any of the 18 year olds to stick with the Canucks they have to do something exceptional every game, the best way to show that is with the Sedins.

So I am pulling for Shinkaruk, who I agree is probably not strong enough yet or Horvat to get a chance on the top line and rip it up!

The Sedins don't really need a protector if the puck is in the net quick enough.

So going against my senses and with my wishes;

Sedins, Shinkaruk or Horvat

Burrows, Kesler, Kassian

Booth , Santorelli, Jensen

Higgins, Richardson, Hansen

I think the "young guys" will be limited to bigger opportunities for Kassian and Schroeder.

I think Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk could all pick up extremely valuable experience playing huge roles on their Junior teams and playing in the WJC (hopefully)

Jensen could get call-ups throughout the year, but I think he needs some more seasoning in the AHL.

No need to rush all the young guys into the line-up at once. Build them up to succeed, otherwise there will be too much pressure on them.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Schroeder-Kesler

Booth-Santorelli-Higgins

Weise-Richardson-Hansen

Extra: Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Edler-Corrado

Extras: UFA Signing-Weber

Luongo

Lack

I think the "young guys" will be limited to bigger opportunities for Kassian and Schroeder.

I think Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk could all pick up extremely valuable experience playing huge roles on their Junior teams and playing in the WJC (hopefully)

Jensen could get call-ups throughout the year, but I think he needs some more seasoning in the AHL.

No need to rush all the young guys into the line-up at once. Build them up to succeed, otherwise there will be too much pressure on them.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Schroeder-Kesler

Booth-Santorelli-Higgins

Weise-Richardson-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Edler-Corrado

Luongo

Lack

The Canucks success this year depends, in part, on the success of their young guys. Schroeder and possibly one of the true rookies, Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat even Shinkaruk (long shot). Depending on these guys' ability to make the team, the club adds depth. Ideally enough depth is added that Kesler could actually play on the first line with the Sedins. Clearly, that is the strongest possible first line. Obviously, that only happens if enough of the younger guys show that they can make the team and contribute. Likely, this scenario is another year away. Yes, people are calling for Kassian on the first line - which is great if he can rise to the challenge. If not, a Sedin, Sedin, Kesler first line would be potentially dominant - provided the team has enough depth behind them to make that line combo plausible.

Sedins Burr

Booth Kes Kass

Higgy Schroeder Hansen

Santorelli Richardson Weise

Jensen comes up in mid season

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Weber Tanev

Corrado come up during the season for injuries

Lu

Lack

I would love to see the rookies play, but not at the expense of their development.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Schroeder-Kesler

Booth-Santorelli-Higgins

Weise-Richardson-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Edler-Corrado

Luongo

Lack

I'm going to say that Torts will change the lineup from what we are used to

Burrows Kesler Hansen ( Torts will use this line against top lines and will get the most minutes)

Sedin Sedin Jensen (Jensen has better offensive instincts than Kassian IMO)

Booth Schroeder Kassian (sheltered minutes allows this line to take advantage of opponents bottom 6, grind it out or use speed)

Higgins Richardson Weise (speed, tenacity, responsible defensively, bit of grit, bit of offense)

Sestito, Santorelli (fill in with injuries or to spark the team)

Hamhuis Bieksa (shutdown pair)

Edler Garrison (two big point shots most of PP time)

TBD Tanev/Corrado (Corrado plays if Tanev doesn't get signed, sign a LHD experienced guy, Zanon/Hainsey/Kuba etc

Weber

PP1

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Edler Garrison

PP2

Booth Kesler Jensen/Kassian

Hamhuis Schroeder

PK

Kesler Burrows

Richardson Hansen

Higgins Weise

Luongo (65 games)