The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder or Gilbert Brule?

Sportjunky

I believe the future of Schroeder or Brule will be on the Wing.. Too small to play center these days.. The reason I choose Brule is his versatility.

- Brule would be a great 4th line energy player who has the potential to provide some offense and move up the lineup if needed. He CAN hit, and score some goals where as Schroeder HAS to be in the top 6 scoring points if he wants to stay in the NHL. I don't see Schroeder as a 3rd or 4th line plugger to provide some energy. Schroeder's potential job(playing wing) can be replaced by a Jensen or Shinkaruk, etc. Brule can be a Marchand type of player maybe.

No it's not. From the Calder Trophy eligibility criteria:

• the player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any previous year

• nor played in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons

• as well as being under the age of 26 on September 15 of the season in which he is eligible

So, once you've played 25 NHL games in a single season, you aren't a rookie any more. The only way playing 10 games in a season would make you not a rookie in the eyes of the NHL is if you did it in two previous seasons, or if you did it after having already turned 26 prior to Sept 15 of that year.

What you're thinking of with 10 games is the ELC contract slide, where players under 20 who play 10 games or more in a year have their contract kick in. If they only play 9, their contract can slide so that it doesn't take effect yet. That has no effect on a player's rookie status though.

More than that. They can't be returned to juniors once they play that tenth game and they are too young for the farm team. Meaning they are with their NHL team for the entire season. So it would doubtless be that players rookie season unless he spent the vast majority of it sitting in the press box.

Archived