The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lui Changes Agents

MJDDawg

That is not forcing Gillis with a gun to his head...So Gillis feared Lu and put the organization at risk by giving him that contract? Gillis could have walked like other GM's do, and I'm sure he knew we had Cory coming up.

Fans that think Lu forced Gillis into the contract need to get real. Who is the GM again? Not Luongo.

The first opt-out clause in Luongo's deal has to be part of this.

As already posted, Luongo has the option to trigger a trade following the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. If he triggers this clause, between the final game of 2013-14 and July 15th 2014, the Canucks have agreed, as one of the terms of the contract, to accommodate his request.

I've always read this clause to suggest that the Canucks must trade Luongo, if he makes a trade request during the opt-out period.

Here's how the opt-out clause was reported on back in 2009:

http://www.faceoff.c...85-6c328be5e1d1

Note that it says they will "accommodate the request by moving Luongo" and not that they will "try to move Luongo" (as was the situation over the past couple years or so). Of course, this is just a newspaper report and it doesn't report the actual binding language contained in the contract clauses. However, from everything I read back when the deal was signed, I think that the quote is accurate and the Canucks put themselves on the hook for a trade as part of a binding agreement (if triggered by Luongo during the prescribed period).

After everything that's happened, if Luongo wants to force the issue, he'll almost certainly need strong representation because I don't imagine Gillis will want to go into binding trade negotiations where the five potential partners are aware that the Canucks must, in the end, accept a trade that's on the table. This is a very weak bargaining position (and one that the Canucks might try to avoid using various legal maneuvers).

Now Luongo might not necessarily decide to use this clause once the 2014 offseason rolls around. However, if he wants to at the very least keep that option open, there's no better agency out there than CAA Sports to force the Canucks to honour the agreement.

I'm not saying it's the only reason for the agency change, but I can certainly see part of this move being that Luongo believes that his deal guarantees him a strong position in 2014 and he wants to put this hammer into the strongest set of hands in NHL player representation, and that's CAA Sports' J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson.

For right now, I think it's pretty much a given that Luongo reports and gives his 100% effort for the Canucks during the 2013-14 season. Over the year, Gillis and the Canucks will work hard to repair the relationship moving forward and CAA Sports will work hard to repair Luongo's image and build his value.

Once the offseason comes along, Luongo will make a choice and the parties involved will react appropriately (and both sides will try to be prepared for every foreseeable contingency).

I beg to differ.

A former player. A former player agent. A former player turned lawyer that blew open the sad Eagleson NHL scandal, to help out his brethren.

He may appear lawyer cold, but i do feel he understands players and their needs.

he plays this year, makes olympics, gets his game back after sitting on the bench.

then after the season he asks for a trade. based on his contract he can give the team a list of 5 teams he would agree to be traded to. it was posted earlier in this thread, by someone who knows those details better than I ;)

2 time medal winner (got to assume we will win something, at least we have a great chance) - a good cup run in the spring. best case scenario he wins gold and the stanley cup (dreaming, but hey, it "could" happen) - still got gas in the tank, a perfect time to go to a new team somewhere closer to "home".

Guest Pinchin

There are many reasons Luongo would change agents, they do more than just negotiate contracts with NHL teams. I have to believe this has to do with JP Barry being the best in the league and Luongo wanting to make sure he makes no more mis-steps in his career. I also believe he has asked Barry to expolre his contract option and to make sure Luongo is in the driver seat going forward. I hope this puts the "he's going to retire" conversation to bed, there is no way he was ever going to retire over being treated like an asset not a human. I will be surprised if Luongo isn't a Canuck at training camp, but I will also be surprised if he is a Canuck after his opt out cluase comes into play. I will also be surprised if I care...it's an ever changing team and no one player is worth all this fuss. AquaMani needs to dig deep into his Italianess to appeal to Luongos inner Italy.

Contracts don't seem to mean much in the NHL. Seems like they can be added to (CBA) or not honoured (Kovalchuk) at any given time. And now the possibility of Lu being able to 'force a trade' next year or the team being forced to buy him out.

i don't understand how it's classless to get paid for something he negotiated for his former client? he did all the work to get that contract for Luongo and it's classless for him to get paid for it? while it's ok for JP Barry to get paid for literally doing nothing?

and who cares if Luongo is silent or not. we all know he's going to come back one way or another otherwise he'd told the management by now to find another goalie as he ain't reporting.. Luongo ain't that classless. and another thing.. he doesn't owe it to the fan or the media to say anything whether he's happy, coming back etc or not. they can speculate all they want, rumors can fly.. at the end of the day he knows what he's doing and he can careless what you or the media thinks since haters will always be haters regardless of what he does.

The first opt-out clause in Luongo's deal has to be part of this.

As already posted, Luongo has the option to trigger a trade following the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. If he triggers this clause, between the final game of 2013-14 and July 15th 2014, the Canucks have agreed, as one of the terms of the contract, to accommodate his request.

I've always read this clause to suggest that the Canucks must trade Luongo, if he makes a trade request during the opt-out period.

Here's how the opt-out clause was reported on back in 2009:

http://www.faceoff.c...85-6c328be5e1d1

Note that it says they will "accommodate the request by moving Luongo" and not that they will "try to move Luongo" (as was the situation over the past couple years or so). Of course, this is just a newspaper report and it doesn't report the actual binding language contained in the contract clauses. However, from everything I read back when the deal was signed, I think that the quote is accurate and the Canucks put themselves on the hook for a trade as part of a binding agreement (if triggered by Luongo during the prescribed period).

After everything that's happened, if Luongo wants to force the issue, he'll almost certainly need strong representation because I don't imagine Gillis will want to go into binding trade negotiations where the five potential partners are aware that the Canucks must, in the end, accept a trade that's on the table. This is a very weak bargaining position (and one that the Canucks might try to avoid using various legal maneuvers).

Now Luongo might not necessarily decide to use this clause once the 2014 offseason rolls around. However, if he wants to at the very least keep that option open, there's no better agency out there than CAA Sports to force the Canucks to honour the agreement.

I'm not saying it's the only reason for the agency change, but I can certainly see part of this move being that Luongo believes that his deal guarantees him a strong position in 2014 and he wants to put this hammer into the strongest set of hands in NHL player representation, and that's CAA Sports' J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson.

For right now, I think it's pretty much a given that Luongo reports and gives his 100% effort for the Canucks during the 2013-14 season. Over the year, Gillis and the Canucks will work hard to repair the relationship moving forward and CAA Sports will work hard to repair Luongo's image and build his value.

Once the offseason comes along, Luongo will make a choice and the parties involved will react appropriately (and both sides will try to be prepared for every foreseeable contingency).

Archived