The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where does Kassian fit?

BlueLemming

Which line and role do you think he would be most effective at? Under Torts, he'll have to earn his playing time. Would he fit in the top 2 lines?

I see these as his potential roles (as probably everyone else does):

1st line - Play in the corners, fight for the puck and rough up whoever targets the twins. However, to be effective, he'll have to be able to keep up with the twins and understand their game.

2nd line - Be the power forward that can bring the puck to the net; but Booth already does this so do we need both on the 2nd line? (Otherwise booth goes to 3rd line?)

3rd line - Typical 3rd line checker, but could benefit from Hansen's speed to produce points. Higgins-Richardson-Kassian could be an interesting line as well.

4th line - Hit and fight.

I'm in favour of the AMeX line (higgins-kes-booth) but I really feel Kassian needs to at least be on the 2nd line to develop the game that he is working toward. If he doesn't produce however, does sticking him on the 3rd line (and likely changing his role) help him? I always felt he had no idea what player to be under AV.

The better question might be: who would be Kassian's best linemates?

I like him with the Sedins. Just for the fact that Burrows can be dropped to the 2nd line and we may be able to ice a top 6 not a first line and a 3rd line in the top 6. He did look pretty decent and could very well learn a lot. But if he isn't good enough then he has to be on the 3rd line at the very least. He is not a 4th liner.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Kesler-Jensen

Higgins-Gaunce-Schroeder

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Luongo

Kassian

He should play on the first or 2nd line.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Gaunce-Booth

well kassian should be on the first line ala how bickell was on Chicago during the playoffs ,make room for the twins , keep the other team head on a swivel , make a hit take a hit get the the other team d scared of getting creamed every time they touch the puck , av never let the players unleash emotion while playing I think torts will want players to play with emotion and hopefully this inpact all the players especially kassian

Let me answer your question with another: if Torts is rumoured to want to pair Burrows and Kesler together, who else would be a better fit with the Sedins?

Hansen and Booth have played there and been ok, and I can see Jensen being a pretty good fit as well. Are any of them better there than Kassian though? See, it's not a question at this point of who's better between Kassian and Burrows, but rather who is the best fit other than Burrows.

I think we NEED him with the Sedins and you go through the growing pains during the season for the simple reason that you need those three to have chemistry in the playoffs.

He will be the guy (in the playoffs) that deters people from taking runs at the twins and given he can plant his body in front of the net, he will give the twins room down low. If the d leaves him alone well those saying he can't play with the twins, he scored 5 goals in 7 games with them and then AV in his infinite wisdom demotes him.

I find it hilarious that people so quickly forget in the first 10 games last year, Kassian was our best player. He was fighting and lifting the team's energy when they needed it, hitting, scored 5 in 7 with the twins and was looking like Neely 2.0, then AV facks with his confidence ...

1st line..and you'll see him get 40 pts.

Burrows can play anywhere in the lineup, gives the second line another defensive 2-way player that makes that line tougher to play against and has chemistry with Kesler. Morover, his years with the twins have improved his offensive game, particularly his passing. He has become a pretty good set up man and will help offset Kesler's weakness there.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen or Booth Kesler Burrows

Let me answer your question with another: if Torts is rumoured to want to pair Burrows and Kesler together, who else would be a better fit with the Sedins?

Hansen and Booth have played there and been ok, and I can see Jensen being a pretty good fit as well. Are any of them better there than Kassian though? See, it's not a question at this point of who's better between Kassian and Burrows, but rather who is the best fit other than Burrows.

I hope that rumor is true, as this is news to me. If Burrows is set to be on 2nd line, then no doubt Kassian will take his place. If injuries become a problem, why not give Jensen a shot.

He has shown his skill level and ability to produce when he's comfortable at the AHL level (I assume he's been the top line in Chicago and most of Rochester); and of course at the Junior level if that's even relevant anymore. He just needs to transfer that confidence to the NHL level.

Archived