The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

CDC rule #6

If you want to be a troll, be a pro Luongo troll

you have mod immunity

CDC rule #6c

If you want to be a "non-troll", hate every player to play for the Canucks ever

Rule #7

You cannot defend your team or a player of your team with logical facts and or statistics

Rule #8

You must not concede when proven wrong

Rule #9

You must use blind hate when judging a player of the Vancouver Canucks while ignoring all accomplishments.

CDC rule #6c

If you want to be a "non-troll", hate every player to play for the Canucks ever

Rule #7

You cannot defend your team or a player of your team with logical facts and or statistics

Rule #8

You must not concede when proven wrong

Rule #9

You must use blind hate when judging a player of the Vancouver Canucks while ignoring all accomplishments.

To each a zone bud, you like vezina runner ups and pres trophies

That's cool bro

Great

regular

Season

Goalie

Play-off all times stats

GP 64 W32 L31 MIN 3856 GA 163 SO 5 GAA 2.54 SA 1939 SV%.916

Reg Season all time stats

GP 747 W348 L289 T33 OTL 53 MIN 42887 GA 1800 SO 62 GAA 2.52 SV% .919

Looks about the same to me...

Anything else? Or do you want to continue to be wrong?

Play-off all times stats

GP 64 W32 L31 MIN 3856 GA 163 SO 5 GAA 2.54 SA 1939 SV%.916

Reg Season all time stats

GP 747 W348 L289 T33 OTL 53 MIN 42887 GA 1800 SO 62 GAA 2.52 SV% .919

Looks about the same to me...

Anything else? Or do you want to continue to be wrong?

Could you imagine those stats without the meltdowns?

I just think you guys get pretty darn carried away, Luongo will not be remembered for much 30 years from now if he retired today

The man still has a lot to prove at 30..whatever years old

And Schneider is a NJ Devil, I don't give a crap about him, I hate him

Could you imagine those stats without the meltdowns?

I just think you guys get pretty darn carried away, Luongo will not be remembered for much 30 years from now if he retired today

The man still has a lot to prove at 30..whatever years old

And Schneider is a NJ Devil, I don't give a crap about him, I hate him

No doubt, take away those 3-4 games out of 64 and his save % is probably .92-.93 and his GAA is somewhere around 2.10.

He will always be remembered as his name is on a lot of records and his all time statistics are pretty amazing at 34 years old. The guy still has ~4-6 years to win a Stanley Cup/Vezina/Conn Smythe. His career is yet to be over, also he is not the only goalie to have a couple meltdowns.

Another double edge here is those are his statistics WITH those meltdowns... That's pretty amazing, and shows that he is more so consistently good than he is up and down... Shows he is A LOT more up than down.

Is Luongo still elite?

He stole the starting spot away from a pretty good goalie.

:bigblush:

The worst thing about Luongo is people won't shut-up about Luongo. Hockey Canada seems to trust him. Other NHL teams seem to dislike playing against him. Overall stats are comparable to other current elite goalies. So it's hard to argue otherwise.

But bottom line = who cares.

Are the Sedin's tough enough? Is Kesler durable enough? Is Luongo elite? etc.......

One 1 thing will stop those questions being asked.

No doubt, take away those 3-4 games out of 64 and his save % is probably .92-.93 and his GAA is somewhere around 2.10.

He will always be remembered as his name is on a lot of records and his all time statistics are pretty amazing at 34 years old. The guy still has ~4-6 years to win a Stanley Cup/Vezina/Conn Smythe. His career is yet to be over, also he is not the only goalie to have a couple meltdowns.

Another double edge here is those are his statistics WITH those meltdowns... That's pretty amazing, and shows that he is more so consistently good than he is up and down... Shows he is A LOT more up than down.

But that is what you guys don't understand.

Everyone knows he can stop the puck.

He has proven it over and over. It's just once in a while he completely unravels

It goes unnoticed for the most part in the reg season, but when he does it 3 times in a series he dominated at home people will remember that until they fricken die.

But that is what you guys don't understand.

Everyone knows he can stop the puck.

He has proven it over and over. It's just once in a while he completely unravels

It goes unnoticed for the most part in the reg season, but when he does it 3 times in a series he dominated at home people will remember that until they fricken die.

True, which is unfortunate... But what about the team?? It was the Canucks in general that faltered on that road that series...

Only certain people remember that series as Lu's fault. A majority of people don't.

Luongo will be remembered as the goalie that revived Vancouver.

Also Luongos "meltdowns" are over exaggerated. They are a rare occurrence... That series was a mess in general.

True, which is unfortunate... But what about the team?? It was the Canucks in general that faltered on that road that series...

Only certain people remember that series as Lu's fault. A majority of people don't.

Luongo will be remembered as the goalie that revived Vancouver.

Also Luongos "meltdowns" are over exaggerated. They are a rare occurrence... That series was a mess in general.

If you travel outside the Provence of BC almost everyone you discuss the 2011 SCF with says we win with a decent goalie.

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant, calling someone Elite is an opinion anyway.

Almost everyone says team Canada's weakness is goaltending, you wouldn't hear such a thing if we had what the general public call an "elite" goalie.

I hold Elite to a higher standard. We have seen 3 elite goalies in 20 years. Roy, Hasek, Marty IMO.

If you travel outside the Provence of BC almost everyone you discuss the 2011 SCF with says we win with a decent goalie.

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant, calling someone Elite is an opinion anyway.

Almost everyone says team Canada's weakness is goaltending, you wouldn't hear such a thing if we had what the general public call an "elite" goalie.

I hold Elite to a higher standard. We have seen 3 elite goalies in 20 years. Roy, Hasek, Marty IMO.

Everyone ever says Canucks don't make it past Chicago let alone game 4 in the SCF with-out Luongo.

so, Lou isn't up and down like a Yoyo? Real followers of hockey know that Jan and Feb are the dog days of the season where injuries and complacency set in and that's when Lou makes his gravy,

Not really, though he certainly could make some improvements (like the rest of our team.) But that wasn't the point. The point was you said Luo is inconsistent because he has off months just like everyone else and that he always has his off months at the same time of year. If he's like everyone else, that's not inconsistent. That's normal. And if he always has off months at the same time of every season, that's the definition of consistency. Consistency does not mean good, but rather "constantly adhering to the same principles, course, form." (source)

If you truly believe that Jan and Feb are the "dog days of the season where injuries and complacency set in" then you should be thankful that Luo is good in those months. If the rest of the team isn't playing well, it's probably pretty important for our postseason that our goalie is.

Plus, do you honestly think Luo sucks in every month except Jan & Feb and he's just so good for that 2 month stretch that he makes his stats for the entire season look better? If so, maybe check out Luo's ESPN page to see the reality. They conveniently have each season broken down by month (and each playoff round broken down by series when applicable.) While you're there, maybe check out some other goalies' pages too so you have something realistic to compare Luo's numbers to.

You know what? Luongo let in 4 goals in game 7 SCF yup he sure did.... Guess how many the forwards scored for the Canucks? 0. Yea If only Luongo had posted another shut-out we would have maybe won 1-0.

God damn it Lu, get your crap together...

Actually, he only let in 3 in Game 7. The 4th was an empty netter.

And he only allowed a total of 5 goals in our 4 home games in that series - 2 shutouts, 2 goals in Game 2 and 3 goals in Game 7. As I've said more times than I can count, Luo might have sucked in Boston but he was good enough at home for us to win 4. We didn't lose because of him.

I was a avid Lu fan the first year he came here when he was TRULY ELITE..he continued his dominance even though we missed the playoffs next year but ever since then he has gone down hill...especially in the playoffs.

I think he can still be a top 10 regular season goalie there is no doubt about that but Playoffs is a completely different story for him.

If you truly want to see how he does in the playoffs check his series eliminating stats.

08/09 - 3.83GAA vs Chicago in 2nd round - 7GA in game 6 elimination match

09/10 - 3.83GAA vs Chicago in 2nd round - 5GA in game 6 elimination match

10/11 - 3.29GAA vs Boston in the Finals - 4GA in game 7 elimination match

11/12 - 4GAA vs LA in 1st round - Played only 2 games - For comparison Cory 1.33GAA in 3 games

12/13 - 3GAA vs San Jose in 1st round - Played 2 games - Cory 4.5GAA in 2 games (though everyone knows he shouldn't have played)

I don't think the LA & San Jose elimination where on him but he definitely wasn't ELITE. He was at best good/average.

So the question is can we win with good/average goaltending. I think maybe as long he doesn't have meltdowns. At this stage in his career I just want him to provide consistent goaltending.

I can see why he is not on that list. One he has had a steady decline from Elite status due to his playoff performance and two I think him being a back-up last year he has to prove all over again if he should be in discussion of top 10-15 goalies in the NHL.

I think he is going to have a great regular season maybe even the Olympics but I just don't have any faith in him come playoff time. This is based on 5 years of what he has shown.

Though I would love nothing more then him to shove that in my face and be the star of the playoffs. I don't even care if we lose as long as Lu plays out of this world.

I was a avid Lu fan the first year he came here when he was TRULY ELITE..he continued his dominance even though we missed the playoffs next year but ever since then he has gone down hill...especially in the playoffs.

I think he can still be a top 10 regular season goalie there is no doubt about that but Playoffs is a completely different story for him.

If you truly want to see how he does in the playoffs check his series eliminating stats.

08/09 - 3.83GAA vs Chicago in 2nd round - 7GA in game 6 elimination match

09/10 - 3.83GAA vs Chicago in 2nd round - 5GA in game 6 elimination match

10/11 - 3.29GAA vs Boston in the Finals - 4GA in game 7 elimination match

11/12 - 4GAA vs LA in 1st round - Played only 2 games - For comparison Cory 1.33GAA in 3 games

12/13 - 3GAA vs San Jose in 1st round - Played 2 games - Cory 4.5GAA in 2 games (though everyone knows he shouldn't have played)

I don't think the LA & San Jose elimination where on him but he definitely wasn't ELITE. He was at best good/average.

So the question is can we win with good/average goaltending. I think maybe as long he doesn't have meltdowns. At this stage in his career I just want him to provide consistent goaltending.

I can see why he is not on that list. One he has had a steady decline from Elite status due to his playoff performance and two I think him being a back-up last year he has to prove all over again if he should be in discussion of top 10-15 goalies in the NHL.

I think he is going to have a great regular season maybe even the Olympics but I just don't have any faith in him come playoff time. This is based on 5 years of what he has shown.

Though I would love nothing more then him to shove that in my face and be the star of the playoffs. I don't even care if we lose as long as Lu plays out of this world.

You're nit picking individual matches I can make him look the opposite

0.00 GAA vs Chicago Game 1 1st Round 1 GAA Chicago Game 7 1st round elimination match

0.00 GAA vs Nashville Game 1 2nd round 1 GAA Nashville Game 6 2nd round elimination match

2.00 GAA vs San Jose Game 1 3rd round 2 GAA Game 5 3rd round elimination match

0.00 GAA vs Boston Game 1 SCF 0.00 GAA Boston Game 5 SCF

Edit: Sorry misread that post, you're picking series, But once again I could do the same.

Lu stole 3 games in the SCF, all the goal scorers had to do was steal 1, and they failed.

You're nit picking individual matches I can make him look the opposite

0.00 GAA vs Chicago Game 1 1st Round 1 GAA Chicago Game 7 1st round elimination match

0.00 GAA vs Nashville Game 1 2nd round 1 GAA Nashville Game 6 2nd round elimination match

2.00 GAA vs San Jose Game 1 3rd round 2 GAA Game 5 3rd round elimination match

0.00 GAA vs Boston Game 1 SCF 0.00 GAA Boston Game 5 SCF

Edit: Sorry misread that post, you're picking series, But once again I could do the same.

Lu stole 3 games in the SCF, all the goal scorers had to do was steal 1, and they failed.

That's true but his overall SCF series stats don't lie...they are not of a elite goalie or even a consistently good goalie.

I don't blame the SCF loss completely on LU or even the team for lack of scoring...we just had too many injures. What bothers me the most is the way Lu looked in that loss. All his inconsistencies came back to light. If we lost the SCF with Lu playing consistent no blow outs people would forget the previous 2 years of meltdowns but he just proved with that series as much as he possible of playing AMAZING it is equally possible he can play HORRENDOUS. That is not a making of a good goalie.

Also say I take out 10/11 out of the above equation it still shows he has performed bad in the other 4 years.

The only reason people (including me) liked Cory over LU is because he was consistently able to hold teams to around 2 goals a game which is what you need in the playoffs. Can Lu provide that when he is hot, definitely but you can say that about any other goalie.

What makes elite/great goaltenders different is they can hit that peak performance on a consistent basis vs an average goalie is. Lu hasn't' shown that during the playoffs.

Archived