The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

08/09 - 3.83GAA vs Chicago in 2nd round - 7GA in game 6 elimination match

09/10 - 3.83GAA vs Chicago in 2nd round - 5GA in game 6 elimination match

10/11 - 3.29GAA vs Boston in the Finals - 4GA in game 7 elimination match

11/12 - 4GAA vs LA in 1st round - Played only 2 games - For comparison Cory 1.33GAA in 3 games

12/13 - 3GAA vs San Jose in 1st round - Played 2 games - Cory 4.5GAA in 2 games (though everyone knows he shouldn't have played)

Luo only allowed 3 goals in Game 7 of the Boston series. The 4th goal was an empty netter.

EDIT: And his 11/12 GAA was 3.59, not 4.

And his 12/13 GAA was 2.57, not 3.

First off... You're really going to give credit for a goaltenders award to the D?? But when Brodeur sniped that Vezina and record from Lu it was all the Tendy?? You're also going to give a the other majority of the credit to Schneider who played less games than Lu that season?? Come off it bud.

2006-2007 put up amazing numbers with no defence

2007-2008 was a crippled year for the Canucks and the only time they missed the play-offs since Lu came here. He put up good numbers that year with no team in front of him, thats another elite year.

2008-2009 if top 4 in stats isn't elite you're standards are too high, Also this is the year Luongo tore his hip.

2009-2010 Now a bad year for Lu, THE YEAR AFTER HIS INJURY.

2010-2011 You take credit away from Luongo he was the biggest part of their cup run PERIOD. Thomas had a career year and got the Vezina.

2011-2012 Bad year for Lu. Cup hangover and media coming down on him

2012-2013 He wasn't the starter because the goal tending was being mis-managed

And here is the biggest evidence of a hater

Also i wouldn't put much stock into the Olympics its a different touranment

Yea you're right... Instead of facing 2-4 all stars, you're facing 23. Herpadaderp. It's the most prestigious hockey tournament in the world. Oh and being asked to represent your country as their best goal-tender... Yea... Nothing really there to say you're good.

You can pick at those stats all you want... These are the facts behind them... You can hate all you want but it's blind.

Guess who's name is on the Jennings also Schneider's so nice try Luongo doesn't win that trophy on his own he can't play all 82 games and if he did he wouldn't have the lowest GA and the defense was at it's absolute best that year so ya im going to give credit to the defense for the Jennings trophy as well as Schneider as well as Luongo it was a group effort not just 1 person

Olympic Gold is a lot easier to obtain then the Stanley Cup that is a fact 82 game season then 4 series that could go 7 games each Olympics you will have most likely an elite team in front of you if your one of Russia USA Sweden or Canada

again i stand by the stats not opinion i will give him 2008-2009 an elite season that still is only 3/7 seasons where he has been a top 5 goalie every other year his stats have been around the 10th mark

as for the vezina that only has 1 name on it so of course who wins its because of that goalie for the most part i love how people like to think Luongo got robbed that year it was a close race and came down to 1 extra win setting a nhl record but that's the closest he has been to getting the Vezina and the Hart also that year

Guess who's name is on the Jennings also Schneider's so nice try Luongo doesn't win that trophy on his own he can't play all 82 games and if he did he wouldn't have the lowest GA and the defense was at it's absolute best that year so ya im going to give credit to the defense for the Jennings trophy as well as Schneider as well as Luongo it was a group effort not just 1 person

Luo could have very easily gotten his name alone on the trophy. In fact, it was only because he chose to allow Cory to get his name on it that they shared it.

The Jennings Trophy is only shared if the backup plays at least 25 games in the season. In 2011 Cory only started 22 games and went in in relief of Luo twice, which meant he was going to be one game short. Luo lobbied on his behalf and asked AV to make sure Cory met the requirements and would get his name on the trophy. As a result, Cory was sent in for 29 seconds at the end of a game against Edmonton. It was only by being in for those 29 seconds that he even qualify to have his name on the trophy. (This was common knowledge and frequently talked about at the time, but if you need proof read this 2011 article from The Province.)

But good point about the importance of the rest of the team. Of course, that applies equally to EVERY goalie, not just Luo! And it can go the other way too. Case and point: Thomas actually had a better GAA (2.00) that season than Luo (2.11). The difference in winning the Jennings WAS Cory, as he had the 4th best GAA (2.23) while Rask had the 30th (2.67).

Luo only allowed 3 goals in Game 7 of the Boston series. The 4th goal was an empty netter.

EDIT: And his 11/12 GAA was 3.59, not 4.

And his 12/13 GAA was 2.57, not 3.

Thanks for the corrections (not being sarcastic). Though it doesn't really change the fact that his numbers are still bad.

Note for 12/13 his GAA drops from 3 to 2.57 only because he played in relief for Cory in Game 4 otherwise for the 2 starts he had its still 3.

Thanks for the corrections (not being sarcastic). Though it doesn't really change the fact that his numbers are still bad.

Note for 12/13 his GAA drops from 3 to 2.57 only because he played in relief for Cory in Game 4 otherwise for the 2 starts he had its still 3.

That bolded part is true. But, it's also true that Luo was the best Canuck on ice and was widely seen as playing very well in both of those SJ games despite the 3 goals allowed in each. Sometimes the stats don't reflect the play. (And, no one seems to care that Cory's stats have been improved by going in in relief of Luo. For example, if you only look at the game he actually started, Cory's SV% for the 10/11 playoff would have been .850 instead of .915. It's just how it works.)

Yes, Luo has definitely had some bad games, but who hasn't? Why are his bad games so much worse than anyone else's? And why are they so much more important than all of the other games he played along the way?

For example, in 08/09 the team lost Game 4 of that Chicago series. Luo played all 62:52 of the game and stopped 26 of the 28 shots he faced, including 3 of the 4 that came in OT. The team contributed a grand total of 15 shots in the entire game, including their single shot in OT. Their most number of shots was in the 2nd period when they topped out with 6 shots in the entire period.

In 10/11, if he didn't win 3 games in the SCF by a single goal, they wouldn't have made it to Game 7 at all. And he played pretty well, only allowing 3 goals in total and only one in the first half of the game. The team scored 0 goals.

And that's the point. It's a team sport and we need our goalie and our team to do their part. I don't disagree that Luo needs to work on his consistency, but so does the rest of the team. A full team effort is the (not-so) secret to success and we will find it only when we stop expecting a single player or even a single line to do the work of the entire team.

Play-off all times stats

GP 64 W32 L31 MIN 3856 GA 163 SO 5 GAA 2.54 SA 1939 SV%.916

Reg Season all time stats

GP 747 W348 L289 T33 OTL 53 MIN 42887 GA 1800 SO 62 GAA 2.52 SV% .919

Looks about the same to me...

Anything else? Or do you want to continue to be wrong?

Luongo's better in the regular season, always has been except for one time.

No doubt, take away those 3-4 games out of 64 and his save % is probably .92-.93 and his GAA is somewhere around 2.10.

He will always be remembered as his name is on a lot of records and his all time statistics are pretty amazing at 34 years old. The guy still has ~4-6 years to win a Stanley Cup/Vezina/Conn Smythe. His career is yet to be over, also he is not the only goalie to have a couple meltdowns.

Another double edge here is those are his statistics WITH those meltdowns... That's pretty amazing, and shows that he is more so consistently good than he is up and down... Shows he is A LOT more up than down.

After his good playoff in 2007 Luongo has a 2.75 GAA and .909 Sv% in 52 games.

After 2007 Luongo has a 2.37 GAA and .918 Sv% in 330 regular season games.

A very sharp contrast.

I'm embarrassed for this guy for even asking this question.

A goalie has two seasons of success and he's "elite", and yet Luongo who has had a career full of stellar stats is suddenly not elite because his numbers dipped a little bit the last couple seasons?

So that would mean Brodeur is no longer elite despite leading his team to the finals only a year ago?

This is a big reason why Lu wanted out of this market. Only in Vancouver does a goalie get dubbed the starter for team Canada in the Olympics, and then get questioned if they're an elite goaltender.

People in Vancouver better start appreciating the caliber of player we have here. You never know how long he's gonna be here for.

This is how I see it:

1 Lundqvist

2 Quick

3 Rinne

4 Rask

5 Bobrovski

6 Anderson

7 Schneider

8 Luongo

Rask has had one good season, and that one good season was a half season, big ???? with him still. Bobrovski has had one good season and that one good season was a half season. big ???? with him even more then Rask. Schneider hasn't even had a half season. You've got it all messed up, You want to join my hockey pool? I could use your money

Rask has had one good season, and that one good season was a half season, big ???? with him still. Bobrovski has had one good season and that one good season was a half season. big ???? with him even more then Rask. Schneider hasn't even had a half season. You've got it all messed up, You want to join my hockey pool? I could use your money

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=84346

Rask had 2 good seasons actually

2009-2010 played 45 games with a record of 22-12-5 GAA 1.97 SV .931

2012-2013 played 36 games with a record of 19-10-5 GAA 2.00 SV .929

he hasn't played the 50-60 starter type season yet but given his recent play in the playoffs with a record of 14-8 GAA 1.88 SV .940 should be 0 ???? about him

I have said this countless of time. Vancouver is probably the only market with fans stupid enough to believe that our goalie costed us the cup when the team got to game 7 in SCF with 7 goals scored....

just like there are fans stupid enough to believe he wasn't one of the many reasons the canucks lost the cup

injuries

lack of offense

luongo's inconsistency

all reasons they lost

I find it hard to think Lu as a top 10 goalie anymore when in his last 75 regular season games hes posted a 2.49 G.A.A and a .913 SV%.

He's 34, on the downside of his career. Perhaps he gets a motivational surge after undergoing all this drama and plays lightsout. Who knows. Statistically, he has been bad. From what I've seen, hes looked bad. Theres is a reason he lost his job to Schneider.

I find it hard to think Lu as a top 10 goalie anymore when in his last 75 regular season games hes posted a 2.49 G.A.A and a .913 SV%.

He's 34, on the downside of his career. Perhaps he gets a motivational surge after undergoing all this drama and plays lightsout. Who knows. Statistically, he has been bad. From what I've seen, hes looked bad. Theres is a reason he lost his job to Schneider.

2.49 and a .913 SV% is bad now? I think that's pretty average. I don't think some Canucks fans really know what bad goaltending is.

They haven't lived through the days of Cloutier, Burke, Irbe, Potvin, Skudra, Snow, and Weekes. These were bad goaltenders.

Just because Lu has a couple less than stellar seasons doesn't mean he gets his top goalie card revoked. He's been nothing but solid for us in his time here, especially when he was relegated to sitting on the bench most of the season. Something that's not easy to do for starters, and which surely affected his game.

Luongo is the type of goalie that thrives by playing 60-70 games a season and getting into a groove over long stretches. The situation of sharing the net is not something that suits his game. I think this season we'll see the old Lu that struggles early on, but gets into a groove around the end of November/start of December and just cruises from there. He's always been that type of goalie. Same with Brodeur. I think you'll see him struggle trying to share the net with Schneider next season and ultimately lose the starting position. That doesn't mean he's not an elite goalie.

just like there are fans stupid enough to believe he wasn't one of the many reasons the canucks lost the cup

injuries

lack of offense

luongo's inconsistency

all reasons they lost

Ummm...no Hammer alone cost us the series more than Lu ever did. Not to mention he compounded Lu's problems due to his absence.

injuries

lack of offense

luongo's inconsistency

all reasons they lost

without Luongo stealing 3 rounds for us, we won't even reach the game 7 with the performance from the rest of our team.

Yet in vancouver, stealing 3 rounds isn't enough. We have to steal 4 or our goalie is inconsistent

Archived