The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Dreaded 4th Line

shinkaruk98

Fourth line issues  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion, we actually have the potential to finally have a 4th line that works. The possibilities of 4th line players, be it permanent or part time include. Santorelli, Richardson, Sestitio, Weise, Hansen, Higgins, Schroeder, Gaunce, Mallet, Archibald, Lain and two or three others. In my opinion I don't see any combination of the above mentioned players as detrimental as all of them have the ability to jump (minus Sestitio) up and do something to provide energy and pot a few goals doing it. I know that the need for chemistry and stability is huge but I look at all of those players and think of what we had last year and even prior and think it's an upgrade if not on a par with 2011

I can't remember a game where our 4th line took advantage of another teams' 1st line. I often heard broadcasters saying stuff like "the Sedins are hemmed in their own zone by the 4th line of the *****"

This has been a big problem for us. We had a habit of making 4th line guys look good. We've had to settle with crappy hockey players that couldn't play hockey on our 4th line. On other teams, their 4th line pots them 35-40pts a year. Our 4th line pots 20pts a year. That's not good enough.

We need hockey players on our 4th line....not guys who play hockey.

Our 4th line is mediocre. Richardson is a good start, but you never know he could be needed on the 3rd line. To win the Cup you need an impact 4th line. I'd like to have 3 regular NHL players on that line.

before we even see the new guys, not including the roookie's, our track record has been to 'settle' for retreads or left over waiver wire players from other teams..unless any of the new signings stand out..I kinda expect to see more of the same under performing types on the 4th line..a weak 4 minutes a night isn't what we need anymore.

Ok, can you guys please help me with this. The day we signed sestito i was like :shock:<_<. I didn't expect this plug to make the team. Especially on a 2 year contract before we really checked out the market for possible upgrades. Since then I've learned in the new CBA you can send down contracts under 925k i think it is... with sestito's 750k contract can we send him down and add his cap to the available cap for more players?

I think Mallet could turn some heads.

From what I saw in our prospects camp, he looked like one of the bigger stronger prospects we had. Great at protecting the puck, and plays with intensity. He's the type of player that would be suited by being groomed in a fourth line role.

Depending on which of our rookies step up I think we could have a fourth line that features Richardson, Gaunce, and Higgins or Hansen. That's the type of fourth line we need to go deep.

If Gaunce steps up and can be a young Ryan O'reilley type player, I think our chances go way up.

We have no idea what the 4th line will actually look like.

(Though VERY unlikely)...if we have a few prospects in the top 9 we could possibly have either or both Hansen and Higgins on the 4th for cripes sake!

The bottom 6 could have any of the following on it:

Burrows, Booth, Kassian, Higgins, Hansen, Jensen, Schroeder, Richardson, Santorelli, Gaunce, Horvat, Weise, Sestito, Lain, Mallet plus a few of the tryout etc guys (Hamill) we've invited as outside shots.

Surely we can fill 6 spots with all those guys and have something we're not ashamed of :lol:

Guest Pinchin

With our lack of cap space and having to fill a dedicated AHL roster I think the 4th line is the least of our issues. GMMG has filled the coffers with 4th line depth. The only constant I see is Weise given he has the ability to move up if needed and kill penalties. Brad Richardson or Mike Santorelli will likely be the 4th line center.

As of now, I see the 4th line as

Richardson - Santorelli - Weise.

Sestito being the depth. With Gaunce or Schroeder getting the third line C. If neither of them are capable, we shift Richardson to third line C and bring Sestito in to replace him. But I doubt that will happen.

That's a 4th line I like. A little bit of skill with a good amount of grit.

Archived