68 replies to this topic

#1 theshield

theshield

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Who would you rather have in their prime and who was the better defenseman?

Scott Nidermayer - won every major trophy in hockey

- 4 Stanley Cups
- 1 Norris Trophy (surprising)
- 2 Olympic Golds
- World Junior Gold
- World Championship
- World Cup
- 1 Conn Smythe.
- 740 NHL Pts

Nicklas Lidstrom

- 4 Stanley Cups
- 7 Norris Trophies
- 1 Olympic Gold
- World Championship
- 1 Conn Smythe
- 1,142 Pts

Edited by theshield, 01 August 2013 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Iggynucks

Iggynucks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Pretty much even in terms of how valuable each was so might as well go with the Canadian.

#3 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Lidstrom. 7 Norris trophies!

Only thing Niedermayer has that Lidstrom doesn't is Juniors Gold and World Cup..
6+ Norris Trophies and 400+ points adds up to it.

450 Career +/-, 10th all time.

First Euro captain to lead team to a Stanley Cup.
4th All time in Red Wings scoring history. 2nd in GP behind Howe.

Edited by Lemons, 01 August 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#4 theshield

theshield

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

Lidstrom. 7 Norris trophies!

Only thing Niedermayer has that Lidstrom doesn't is Juniors Gold and World Cup..
6+ Norris Trophies and 400+ points adds up to it.

450 Career +/-, 10th all time.

First Euro captain to lead team to a Stanley Cup.
4th All time in Red Wings scoring history. 2nd in GP behind Howe.

lol yeah while researching the stats, never knew Lidstrom had that many more pts and Norris trophies but also has 4 cups. Thought he only had 3. Nidermayer and Lidstrom were the top 2 defensemen during their careers.
Posted Image

#5 theshield

theshield

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

We could have had Nidermayer I remember. Before signing with the Ducks, he wanted to play for the Canucks but I think Nonis wanted to re-sign Jovo and that didn't happen either and lost him to the Coyotes :picard:
Posted Image

#6 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Lidstrom was basically the model defenseman, with those 7 Norris trophies, plus the fact that he played forward until he was 14 only adds to the impressiveness of what he achieved in his career.

It's definitely not a knock against Niedermayer, whose speed I really admired and his winning resume also speaks for itself but Nick also never missed the playoffs in the NHL. I'd have to give the nod to Norris Nick.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#7 TheRussianRocket™

TheRussianRocket™

Cheers Geoff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Both are almost identical on play but I gotta go with the greatest Dman of all time - Lidstrom.

SteveYzermanSig.jpg

#8 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lidstrom, he's a top 3 dman in history, he was one of the best dman both defensively and offensively. With 7 norris trophies and an absurd +/- it has to be lidstrom.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#9 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,173 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Who would you rather have in their prime and who was the better defenseman?

Nicklas Lidstrom without a doubt. Also, maybe you can add a poll?

307mg00.jpg

#10 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,066 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

We could have had Nidermayer I remember. Before signing with the Ducks, he wanted to play for the Canucks but I think Nonis wanted to re-sign Jovo and that didn't happen either and lost him to the Coyotes :picard:

I thought it was more of Nonis not wanting Rob Niedermayer as well since that was apparently the only way Scott would've signed with us.

On topic though. Very tough choice, but in the end I'd choose Lidstrom.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#11 theshield

theshield

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

I thought it was more of Nonis not wanting Rob Niedermayer as well since that was apparently the only way Scott would've signed with us.

On topic though. Very tough choice, but in the end I'd choose Lidstrom.

Could have been a combo of both. But I do remember hearing something like that, because I'm sure Nonis wanted to re-sign Jovo but I guess he got more in Phx. But during the time Rob was a big part for the Ducks and would have been an excellent player for us too.
Posted Image

#12 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

Nicklas Lidstrom without a doubt. Also, maybe you can add a poll?

no more polls!
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#13 theshield

theshield

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

no more polls!

don't know how anyways lol. Looking for discussion
Posted Image

#14 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,891 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

It's close, but gotta go with Lidstrom.

He's the definition of a perfect shutdown defencemen.

He also got a ton of points.

Edited by Peaches, 01 August 2013 - 11:16 PM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#15 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,188 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

Not even a question, Lidstrom was the best defenceman of the modern era. In a time when points were MUCH harder to come by than the Orr or even Coffey eras, Lidstrom still racked them up and played amazing defence at the same time. Lidstrom is a top-5 if not top-3 all-time defenceman whereas Niedermayer is nowhere near as high up.
Posted Image

#16 khay

khay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

POPULAR

Lidstrom is the reason why Niedermayer has only one Norris.

#17 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

It's honestly, not even close. It's basically Lidstrom.

Neidermayer wasn't even the best defense man on his team when he won the cups. Scotty Stevens and Chris Pronger are better than Neids. Lidstrom ranks in the 2-3 All time, so it's hard to even touch. Neid is around the late 20-30 mark. Maybe even lower.

#18 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:13 AM

For me it's not even close. Lidstrom by faaaaar. Lidstrom is probably in my top 20 players of all-time, Niedermayer would be more like 40-50 for me.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#19 theshield

theshield

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

It's honestly, not even close. It's basically Lidstrom.

Neidermayer wasn't even the best defense man on his team when he won the cups. Scotty Stevens and Chris Pronger are better than Neids. Lidstrom ranks in the 2-3 All time, so it's hard to even touch. Neid is around the late 20-30 mark. Maybe even lower.

I would agree Stevens and Pronger were probably better at being the shutdown and guy but I would not say they are better than Neidermayer. He may have had Stevens and Pronger but they both also had Scott Neidermayer.

I think it is fairly clear Lidstorm was more impressive, but they are both without a doubt 1st ballot HOF'ers
Posted Image

#20 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

Scotty was a more phyiscal than Lidstrom, and that's about it.

the_man_on_the_moon___paul_pogba_by_yupp

#21 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Lidstrom over Niedermayer for me lol disregard the sig while reading this post :)

No1813_comets2_rr.jpgDec2814_jake_rr.jpg

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has" 

-Margaret Mead-

#22 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

Scotty was a more phyiscal than Lidstrom, and that's about it.

That isn't saying much at all. Neidermayer wasn't that physical.

#23 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

I would agree Stevens and Pronger were probably better at being the shutdown and guy but I would not say they are better than Neidermayer. He may have had Stevens and Pronger but they both also had Scott Neidermayer.

I think it is fairly clear Lidstorm was more impressive, but they are both without a doubt 1st ballot HOF'ers

Stevens and Pronger better at being shutdown? That's it?

I don't recall Neidermayer leading his team in points, like Stevens did when he put up 78 points. Pronger single handedly took the Oilers to the cup finals, then Anaheim, and did it again with Philly. He did not need Neidermayer.

Both Stevens and Pronger are easily ahead of Neidermayer. Neidermayer was an flawless skater. That's basically what sets him apart, but Stevens and Pronger both made much more impact.

Stevens - 1635 Games - 908 Points.
Pronger - 1167 Games - 698 Points.
Neidermayer - 1263 - 740 Points.

It's just not a big enough difference to say Neidermayer was a better offensively.

Throw in the playoff numbers and Neid has the worst of them all.

Stevens - 233 Games - 118 Points
Pronger - 173 Games - 121 Points
Neidermayer - 202 Games - 98 Points.

You can't say that Neid was better defensively than Pronger or Stevens. Neids got nothing on those two.

Edited by Rey, 02 August 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#24 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

Stevens and Pronger better at being shutdown? That's it?

I don't recall Neidermayer leading his team in points, like Stevens did when he put up 78 points. Pronger single handedly took the Oilers to the cup finals, then Anaheim, and did it again with Philly. He did not need Neidermayer.

Both Stevens and Pronger are easily ahead of Neidermayer.

It's too bad Pronger got injured. Philly would've been much better than they were last season.

#25 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

It's too bad Pronger got injured. Philly would've been much better than they were last season.

It's really unfortunate. If Pronger was healthy, I don't think that Philly team changes much from 09/10 team that went to the Finals. The whole team blew up without Pronger. Pronger made Boucher and Leighton look decent, when neither were fit to be NHL goalies. Pronger probably would have made Bryzgalov look a million times better but instead, the whole team looks like a mess. Oh well, it is what it is.

I doubt Pronger ever plays another NHL game again.

There's a lot of young players that will remind you of Neidermayer because now there are so many effortless skaters, but finding another Stevens or Pronger may take a few decades. NHL might never get another Lidstrom. That's how you know, which player is better.

Honestly, if you watch Erik Karlsson skate. He's a even better skater than Neidermayer ever was. There's so many guys, that just need the right development.

Edited by Rey, 02 August 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#26 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

It's really unfortunate. If Pronger was healthy, I don't think that Philly team changes much from 09/10 team that went to the Finals. The whole team blew up without Pronger. Pronger made Boucher and Leighton look decent, when neither were fit to be NHL goalies. Pronger probably would have made Bryzgalov look a million times better but instead, the whole team looks like a mess. Oh well, it is what it is.

There's a lot of young players that will remind you of Neidermayer because now there are so many effortless skaters, but finding another Stevens or Pronger may take a few decades.

Honestly, if you watch Erik Karlsson skate. He's a even better skater than Neidermayer ever was.

Exactly. Same situation with Manny, both will never be 100%. Can say the same about Marc Staal. IMO, Philly should have never went after Bryzgalov, they had Bobrovsky right there.

Add in the remaining cap they could've used elsewhere. Holmgren takes too many risks.

Good thing the NHLPA agreed on mandatory visors.

#27 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

Exactly. Same situation with Manny, both will never be 100%. Can say the same about Marc Staal. IMO, Philly should have never went after Bryzgalov, they had Bobrovsky right there.

Add in the remaining cap they could've used elsewhere. Holmgren takes too many risks.

Good thing the NHLPA agreed on mandatory visors.

I don't think it's the same situation. Manny and Staal got hit in the face with a puck. Physically, they can probably still play the game.

Pronger's dealing with concussion symptoms from a hit in 2011.

#28 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

I don't think it's the same situation. Manny and Staal got hit in the face with a puck. Physically, they can probably still play the game.

Pronger's dealing with concussion symptoms from a hit in 2011.

Oh. I thought Prongers was from a follow through from Grabovski or something

#29 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

Lidstrom was the best player in the world for an entire decade (00-10).

Nieds was obviously great though; I'd put him #3 in the current era behind Lidstrom and Pronger.

Edited by kanucks25, 02 August 2013 - 03:41 AM.

Posted Image

#30 theshield

theshield

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

There's a lot of young players that will remind you of Neidermayer because now there are so many effortless skaters, but finding another Stevens or Pronger may take a few decades. NHL might never get another Lidstrom. That's how you know, which player is better.

Honestly, if you watch Erik Karlsson skate. He's a even better skater than Neidermayer ever was. There's so many guys, that just need the right development.

Saying there is so many guys that skate like and could be the next Niedermayer with righ development is a big stretch. You are very under valuing Niedermayber, he is as sure of a HOF'er as Lidstrom. He has won everything.

Edited by theshield, 02 August 2013 - 02:02 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.