The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lidstrom or Niedermayer?

I would agree Stevens and Pronger were probably better at being the shutdown and guy but I would not say they are better than Neidermayer. He may have had Stevens and Pronger but they both also had Scott Neidermayer.

I think it is fairly clear Lidstorm was more impressive, but they are both without a doubt 1st ballot HOF'ers

Stevens and Pronger better at being shutdown? That's it?

I don't recall Neidermayer leading his team in points, like Stevens did when he put up 78 points. Pronger single handedly took the Oilers to the cup finals, then Anaheim, and did it again with Philly. He did not need Neidermayer.

Both Stevens and Pronger are easily ahead of Neidermayer.

It's really unfortunate. If Pronger was healthy, I don't think that Philly team changes much from 09/10 team that went to the Finals. The whole team blew up without Pronger. Pronger made Boucher and Leighton look decent, when neither were fit to be NHL goalies. Pronger probably would have made Bryzgalov look a million times better but instead, the whole team looks like a mess. Oh well, it is what it is.

I doubt Pronger ever plays another NHL game again.

There's a lot of young players that will remind you of Neidermayer because now there are so many effortless skaters, but finding another Stevens or Pronger may take a few decades.

Honestly, if you watch Erik Karlsson skate. He's a even better skater than Neidermayer ever was.

Exactly. Same situation with Manny, both will never be 100%. Can say the same about Marc Staal. IMO, Philly should have never went after Bryzgalov, they had Bobrovsky right there.

Add in the remaining cap they could've used elsewhere. Holmgren takes too many risks.

Good thing the NHLPA agreed on mandatory visors.

It's really unfortunate. If Pronger was healthy, I don't think that Philly team changes much from 09/10 team that went to the Finals. The whole team blew up without Pronger. Pronger made Boucher and Leighton look decent, when neither were fit to be NHL goalies. Pronger probably would have made Bryzgalov look a million times better but instead, the whole team looks like a mess. Oh well, it is what it is.

I doubt Pronger ever plays another NHL game again.

There's a lot of young players that will remind you of Neidermayer because now there are so many effortless skaters, but finding another Stevens or Pronger may take a few decades. NHL might never get another Lidstrom. That's how you know, which player is better.

Honestly, if you watch Erik Karlsson skate. He's a even better skater than Neidermayer ever was. There's so many guys, that just need the right development.

If Scott had spent his career with detriot and Lidstrom had played for the teams Niedermayer played for, would the results have been different?

IIRC New Jersey was a defensive minded team for many of the years that Niedemayer played, while Detriot had a more balanced approach and better offensive weapons. This can skew the career stats a bit.

I'd take either of them and consider them basicaly =.

Niedemayer sat out part of a season, and didn't play anywhere near as many seasons that Lidstrom did. Nick Lidstrom retired last season and was probably still the best d-man on that Wings team. Not even close as far as I'm concerned. Can't recall, but I don't think he missed more than twenty games to injury either. Durable, and seemed to get better with age.

Archived