The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If it was possible and you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff and move Edler instead?

TheMohammadman

If you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff instead of Edler?  

217 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edler will shut all you Edler-haters up!

He's a great defender and will continue to be a great defender for many years to come. I hope we don't trade him, cause he's the real deal.

Ehrhoff is also a very good defender, in an optimal situation, we would have kept both, both considering Ehrhoffs contract, we had to let him go... and we better hope we dont let Edler go... he is and will continue to be Canucks #1 defender.

Same can be said of Edler.

Honestly if Ehroff didn't have Lou's contract I'd take him over Edler in a heart beat. Edler has a sub par shot and isn't the greatest passer. Can be a good hitter when he isn't going knee on knee with superstars. Hopefully Ed is a late bloomer and rips it up this year though.

Ehrhoff was definitely worth it. A guy that can carry the puck in like him is very rare. I still think he was overpaid by Buffalo, but his offensive play is definitely missed. Plus, watching him carry the puck in like that became infectious to the rest of the D. Especially Bieksa. He played his best hockey while playing a lil like Ehrhoff. It was backing the teams up big time! Then after Ehrhoff left, that stupid drop pass was initiated into the team's powerplay. Just awful....

Ehrhoff was dynamite on our power play, he was that guy we have been looking for ever since his departure.

No one on this team can quarterback a power play like he did.

Elder has turned into a goat. Horrible offensively and defensively. MG is an idiot to sign him to this extension.

Guest Pinchin

Erhoff and Edler have similar upsides and downsides. The biggest difference that I see between them is Edler has the potential to crush people as well as move the puck while Erhoff has faster legs. Neither are renowened for their defensive abilities but Elder has the edge there in my opinion, so I say it was the right call to keep Edler. I hope he can pick up his defensive socks this season.

I loved Ehrhoff when he was on the Canucks but given the situation at the time we had to let him go. If keeping Ehrhoff meant losing Ballard a few years early or even Bieksa I would have done it. Edler on the other hand is still a young guy and should not be judged so heavily based on a shortened season. He definitely has to improve, but perhaps Torts can light a fire under him.

People should not be blindly saying that Edler is better offensively than Ehrhoff, not accurate. Ehrhoffs skating ability made him lethal on the rush, something the Canucks lack from the backend now.

I would've just signed him to that contract. I couldn't care less about the term especially since we gave Garrison a 6 year deal after one good season. It's a good comparsion since we wouldn't have Garrison if we kept Hoff.

I just wish we dumped Ballard and signed Hoff to a shorter, higher cap hit deal (Sort of like the Edler deal, reasonable and not a handicap contract).

Our PP has been lost since Ehrhoff left. We need a defensemen who can move the puck up on the PP and make the PP that much better. Edler isn't as good offensively, Garrison has a better shot and Edler has an injured back. I still think Edler is a good player and could possibly get better, but right now I would go with Ehrhoff.

Our PP has been lost since Ehrhoff left. We need a defensemen who can move the puck up on the PP and make the PP that much better. Edler isn't as good offensively, Garrison has a better shot and Edler has an injured back. I still think Edler is a good player and could possibly get better, but right now I would go with Ehrhoff.

Ehrhoff isn't the only reason our pp's effectiveness decreased since he was gone. The coaching combine with the team mentality after losing the cup had a huge effect on our pp... not to mention we lost Salo last season.

if we keep Ehrhoff and let go Edler, our PP will probably still be the same. With Garrison in our team, I'd say we will need Edler more than Ehrhoff..

You just have to look at Buff's pp last season and know that Ehrhoff isn't the magic answer for our pp

Archived