The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If it was possible and you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff and move Edler instead?

TheMohammadman

If you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff instead of Edler?  

217 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think they kept the right D men. Elder is reliable but maybe injury prone, but improving his game year to year. Bieksa is the heart and soul of the team. I'm with Don Cherry on this one, I love this guy. When he is fired up the team is fired up.You want to improve the power play? Teach the twins to play something other than what every player in the league knows they are going to do every time they have the puck. Against a good defensive team they are no longer premier players since they have not shown the ablility to adapt when good D takes them out of the game. Tired of watching them shine against poor teams and fail to score against good teams. Trade them now and get some real NHL scorers. Sure, two Art Ross trophies but who cares? They suck in the playoffs and that's the measure if you want a cup.

I think they kept the right D men. Elder is reliable but maybe injury prone, but improving his game year to year. Bieksa is the heart and soul of the team. I'm with Don Cherry on this one, I love this guy. When he is fired up the team is fired up.You want to improve the power play? Teach the twins to play something other than what every player in the league knows they are going to do every time they have the puck. Against a good defensive team they are no longer premier players since they have not shown the ablility to adapt when good D takes them out of the game. Tired of watching them shine against poor teams and fail to score against good teams. Trade them now and get some real NHL scorers. Sure, two Art Ross trophies but who cares? They suck in the playoffs and that's the measure if you want a cup.

It's interesting to speculate what this team might have been like this year if both Erhoff and Salo were still here. Erhoff has a 4m cap hit this year. Salo has a cap hit of 3.75m. So to have them both on the team the Canucks would probably have needed to let Tanev walk and let Booth get lost in the woods. Play some of the young talent on forward. Interesting to think about... Hamuis, Edler, Erhoff, Bieksa, Salo and Garrison on D with some young guys supplementing the forward core. Lol. Might have been fun! (Yes I know this is just speculation...but it's fun to think about).

At the time Erhoff went to Buffalo, no I would not!

Had we the same chance after we scored Garrison, I would have thought about it a lot harder! Edler is the better two way D, so thats why no is the answer straight up. But where we get a replacement two way D (now we have Garrison/Hamhuis) I absolutely grab a puck mover at the same cap.

Considering the $40 mill contract however, I probably look for a different puck mover.

I would argue the loss of Salo hurt their production just as much. If you look at almost every scoring play on the powerplay from 2011-12 Salo is involved in some way almost every time.

If we have Edler and Salo the Sedins would be fine. But the fact is Edler is the only puck mover we have left. Garrison is good in the offensive zone, but I think he lacks the creativity and ability to break into the zone that Salo had.

It sucks because we could probably afford to have Salo on this team right now if we didn't let him go. Even at his age he's an upgrade over guys like Weber or Tanev.

If he would take the same amount of money as Edler, and it was based of their skill, as it is now, and not potential, I'd keep Ehrhoff over Edler. I think Edler has more potential though. I don't think Ehrhoff is worth the money he was looking for or the effect it would have on our team.

Actually, I would've tried to re-sign Ehrhoff, kept Edler and Hamhuis so there would've been no need to go overpay for Garrison. Still think that this years Canucks are 1 right-handed defenceman short. Can't see Tanev as a top 4 guy just yet. Am going to be severely disappointed if The Province is to believed in claiming the 'Nucks are "looking at" Douglas Murray. Exactly how many more lefties does this team need? Would like to see some more L/R balance, both on offence and defence.

'Hoff is absolutely not the guy the team misses most.

It is Salo.

Edler fully stepped into 'Hoff's role and ran with it. Last season after surgery, he lost a step and just did not look comfy for long sequences.

What 'Hoff brought to the line-up is replaceable by the existing d-corps.

'Hoff's real asset was that he was confident with the puck and was a sublime skater. Obviously he could shoot.

I liked what he brought, but i do not miss him at all.

Archived