Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

If it was possible and you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff and move Edler instead?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: If you had the choice, would you have kept Erhoff instead of Edler? (217 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you have kept Erhoff instead of Edler?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,335 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Holy crapballs. Checked stats between the 2 since Hoff left.

If you are all interested...check the stats at NHL.com

Glad Eddie is here. Clearly the better d-man.

Funny how people are dazzled by flashy play.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#92 TheMohammadman

TheMohammadman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Edler will shut all you Edler-haters up!

He's a great defender and will continue to be a great defender for many years to come. I hope we don't trade him, cause he's the real deal.

Ehrhoff is also a very good defender, in an optimal situation, we would have kept both, both considering Ehrhoffs contract, we had to let him go... and we better hope we dont let Edler go... he is and will continue to be Canucks #1 defender.

We don't hate Edler, but there are better defencemen out there.

And Edler has lots of trade value (why? Becuase he is good and has potential) so we can get alot back for him.

ogxeo9.jpg52415efcd90c0.image.jpg?resize=300%2C200
:canucks: :bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush: :canucks:

#93 Puckster

Puckster

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

he was not coined "ErrorHoff" without reason.

#94 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Ehrhoff had so much synergy with our offensive players it's not even funny. It's not a coincidence that our top guys had career years during his 2-year stint here.

Edler has always been a sidekick, and it appears he always will be. WIthout Ohlund, Salo, or Ehrhoff as a partner, he simply can't handle the pressure by himself.

And Buffalo overpaid to get Ehrhoff to sign with them. We don't know if Ehrhoff would have asked for the same contract with MG. All MG did was offer the "Bieksa contract" to Ehrhoff as a take it or leave it. And that would be insulting to me, cuz Ehrhoff carried the team in an injury riddled season in the backend. He was playing 25-30 mins a game for 1/3 of the season while helping the Sedin's to career years again.

Ballard should have been cut loose long ago (instead he was bought out for nothing). I'd still take Ehrhoff over "grrr... Bieksa!" any day. Bieksa is also a sidekick as he has never been able to elevate his play without having a defensive crutch to lean on, ie. Mitchell/Hamhuis.

#95 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Not for the price, and duration that he got in Buffalo.

#96 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

trade them both and keep Rome

This. How do I +10000 something?

#97 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,335 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Ehrhoff had so much synergy with our offensive players it's not even funny. It's not a coincidence that our top guys had career years during his 2-year stint here.

Edler has always been a sidekick, and it appears he always will be. WIthout Ohlund, Salo, or Ehrhoff as a partner, he simply can't handle the pressure by himself.

And Buffalo overpaid to get Ehrhoff to sign with them. We don't know if Ehrhoff would have asked for the same contract with MG. All MG did was offer the "Bieksa contract" to Ehrhoff as a take it or leave it. And that would be insulting to me, cuz Ehrhoff carried the team in an injury riddled season in the backend. He was playing 25-30 mins a game for 1/3 of the season while helping the Sedin's to career years again.

Ballard should have been cut loose long ago (instead he was bought out for nothing). I'd still take Ehrhoff over "grrr... Bieksa!" any day. Bieksa is also a sidekick as he has never been able to elevate his play without having a defensive crutch to lean on, ie. Mitchell/Hamhuis.

Transparent much?!!!!

Holy crap duders...you hate Juice. You shoulda just cut to the chase and just said so instead of shrouding it with soft commentary on Hoff.

And your proposal is just flat out silly. Juice is not even half as horrible as you want him to be. If you had your way with the NHL world, he would be coveted.

You do realize capeable RH d-men are rare.

2sa1qgh.jpg

#98 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

Transparent much?!!!!

Holy crap duders...you hate Juice. You shoulda just cut to the chase and just said so instead of shrouding it with soft commentary on Hoff.

And your proposal is just flat out silly. Juice is not even half as horrible as you want him to be. If you had your way with the NHL world, he would be coveted.

You do realize capeable RH d-men are rare.

If Bieksa was such a great right side defenseman, then does Edler struggle so much with him as a partner? Ehrhoff and Salo were great right side defensemen no matter who they played with.

And it's called building an argument. Spewing out crap is called flaming.

#99 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

While Ehrhoff's numbers don't look great in Buffalo, they are good relative to his teammates.

In 11-12 he lead defensemen in scoring (6th on team) and all players in minutes played. Last season he again lead defensemen in points, was 6th on the team in scoring, averaged 25:11 per game (second highest was 21:18) all while leading the team in +/- with a +6. He was vital for 5 on 5, power play, and did his part on the pk too. He was also 2nd on the team in blocked shots with 81.

Edler is fairly similar on a lot of stats but he was a -5 on team that was a +8 vs Ehrhoff who was a +6 on a team that was a -7. In Vancouver Ehrhoff was a +55 vs Edler's +13 over those years.
Sig too big.

#100 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

two people who voted for "Keep Edler, Remove Hamhuis"... what are you smoking? :shock:

41fbe-0stephen-king-the-dark-tower.jpg?w

#101 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

he was not coined "ErrorHoff" without reason.

by you and your one friend? I've never heard that one lol.

Honestly the answer is keep Ehrhoff and not trade a ridiculous amount of assets for Ballard.

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#102 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Gillis is still listening to offers for Edler. Things have been way too quiet lately. :lol:

You mean the signings of Colin Stuart and Zach Hamill weren't enough to get you excited? :)

Edited by BigRedMachine, 14 August 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#103 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Honestly the answer is keep Ehrhoff and not trade a ridiculous amount of assets for Ballard.

Can you imagine where we would be if we had kept Grabner?

#104 Seattle Canuck Fan

Seattle Canuck Fan

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think they kept the right D men. Elder is reliable but maybe injury prone, but improving his game year to year. Bieksa is the heart and soul of the team. I'm with Don Cherry on this one, I love this guy. When he is fired up the team is fired up.You want to improve the power play? Teach the twins to play something other than what every player in the league knows they are going to do every time they have the puck. Against a good defensive team they are no longer premier players since they have not shown the ablility to adapt when good D takes them out of the game. Tired of watching them shine against poor teams and fail to score against good teams. Trade them now and get some real NHL scorers. Sure, two Art Ross trophies but who cares? They suck in the playoffs and that's the measure if you want a cup.

#105 Seattle Canuck Fan

Seattle Canuck Fan

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Grabner and Hodgson with Kesler sounds like a first line next year. Oh well. We'll just have to watch the Sedin's continue to pretend.

#106 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Imagine our defensive core with Ehrhoff.

Edler-Erhoff

Hamhuis-Garrison

Bieksa-Tanev

Never bad to dream ;)

Doesn't leave a lot of cap for offence but definetly looks amazing. I'd say Bieksa would have to be moved for Erhoff to fit. But he went where the money is so I don't see him in Van anymore.

I prefer Erhoff's offence to Edler but Edler will probably be a cheaper long term option. Assuming he doesn't get moved which is likely he won't.

#107 TheMohammadman

TheMohammadman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

I think they kept the right D men. Elder is reliable but maybe injury prone, but improving his game year to year. Bieksa is the heart and soul of the team. I'm with Don Cherry on this one, I love this guy. When he is fired up the team is fired up.You want to improve the power play? Teach the twins to play something other than what every player in the league knows they are going to do every time they have the puck. Against a good defensive team they are no longer premier players since they have not shown the ablility to adapt when good D takes them out of the game. Tired of watching them shine against poor teams and fail to score against good teams. Trade them now and get some real NHL scorers. Sure, two Art Ross trophies but who cares? They suck in the playoffs and that's the measure if you want a cup.

Mg ain't trading the sedins.

And hopefully garrison learns the Sedins System Quickly so that he can help on the powerplay.

Sedins still are good. But last year we had no secondary scoring, that hurts there point production.

ogxeo9.jpg52415efcd90c0.image.jpg?resize=300%2C200
:canucks: :bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush: :canucks:

#108 fanfor42

fanfor42

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

It's interesting to speculate what this team might have been like this year if both Erhoff and Salo were still here. Erhoff has a 4m cap hit this year. Salo has a cap hit of 3.75m. So to have them both on the team the Canucks would probably have needed to let Tanev walk and let Booth get lost in the woods. Play some of the young talent on forward. Interesting to think about... Hamuis, Edler, Erhoff, Bieksa, Salo and Garrison on D with some young guys supplementing the forward core. Lol. Might have been fun! (Yes I know this is just speculation...but it's fun to think about).

#109 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

At the time Erhoff went to Buffalo, no I would not!

Had we the same chance after we scored Garrison, I would have thought about it a lot harder! Edler is the better two way D, so thats why no is the answer straight up. But where we get a replacement two way D (now we have Garrison/Hamhuis) I absolutely grab a puck mover at the same cap.

Considering the $40 mill contract however, I probably look for a different puck mover.

I would argue the loss of Salo hurt their production just as much. If you look at almost every scoring play on the powerplay from 2011-12 Salo is involved in some way almost every time.

If we have Edler and Salo the Sedins would be fine. But the fact is Edler is the only puck mover we have left. Garrison is good in the offensive zone, but I think he lacks the creativity and ability to break into the zone that Salo had.

It sucks because we could probably afford to have Salo on this team right now if we didn't let him go. Even at his age he's an upgrade over guys like Weber or Tanev.

We can think sentimentally about the good times with Salo; but it was time to go.

He actually powered the Canucks offence the first 4 weeks of 2011/12, 15 or 16 points in the first 15 or 18 games. But then he ran in to a wall as age, wear and tear kicked in. He scored less than that the rest of the year.

No way I could have justified the $3.75 mill he received. If he was getting paid like Weber or Tanev we could chat.

Based on actual play, i'd take re-signing Erhoff and trading Bieksa over what has happened, but it's easier with hindsight. Bieksa is another mediocre and inconsistent year away from being ran out of this city.

That would have been a mistake. Bieksa became our only established right handed shot. He also add's intangibles and isnt getting paid $40 mill. Maybe MG gets us another bonafide RHS D and we can actually consider a Bieksa move, until then...

I wouldn't be surprised if Gillis is still listening to offers for Edler. Things have been way too quiet lately. :lol:

I'm not sure Nyquist + Smith is enough. I think Nyquist is the type of player that will only be successful developing in Detroit. If it's Tatar and Smith, then that's a pretty intriguing offer.

I can see Ottawa having a lot of interest and having the pieces needed to complete a deal. Also Montreal has Tinordi, who I believe Gillis was really high on a few years ago.

Whats your thoughts on Nathan Beaulieu?

Tinordi is a stud, but not a puck mover. And he would be behind Garrison and Hamhuis. I like Smith also but think we need an established top 6 in a package if we get a prospect as the other piece for Edler.

#110 BI3KSA-

BI3KSA-

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

If he would take the same amount of money as Edler, and it was based of their skill, as it is now, and not potential, I'd keep Ehrhoff over Edler. I think Edler has more potential though. I don't think Ehrhoff is worth the money he was looking for or the effect it would have on our team.

#111 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Really ? That joke's so old, it could vote.

qrC4ALSTG9AZO.gif

#112 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Looking back on that 2011 team, it was so stacked. We will never see depth on defence like that again, and I doubt other teams will either. Thank god for memories *sigh*

#113 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

oops

Edited by BenDrinkin, 17 August 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#114 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Canucks Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Keep Edler, way cheaper. Ehrhoff hasn't even played a single playoff game after he left Van

Because Ehrhoff can carry Buffalo all by himself.

#115 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:32 AM

Actually, I would've tried to re-sign Ehrhoff, kept Edler and Hamhuis so there would've been no need to go overpay for Garrison. Still think that this years Canucks are 1 right-handed defenceman short. Can't see Tanev as a top 4 guy just yet. Am going to be severely disappointed if The Province is to believed in claiming the 'Nucks are "looking at" Douglas Murray. Exactly how many more lefties does this team need? Would like to see some more L/R balance, both on offence and defence.

#116 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:36 AM

Can you imagine where we would be if we had kept Grabner?

I'm imagining "where we would be" if the Canucks had drafted Chris Stewart that year instead of Grabby. We would never have to endure another "do the Canucks need a power forward?" thread again for a decade.

#117 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

no ... we need a guy who can start a play, and throw some bone crunching checks .. glad we have edler .. hope he proves me right .

#118 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,335 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

If Bieksa was such a great right side defenseman, then does Edler struggle so much with him as a partner? Ehrhoff and Salo were great right side defensemen no matter who they played with.

And it's called building an argument. Spewing out crap is called flaming.

Stop it.

You have a bias against Juice. The heart of my response lies with capable RH d-men, which Juice is, And those 2 have been rarely paired together, and when they have it has not had a negative effect on the team.

But i do agree that they do not have instant chemistry, but they can work together,

Salo is that much more talented, that you can pair him with ANY partner and the pairing looks genius.

The thing about 'Hoff...or any "puck-moving" d-man, is that some greater talented partners acquiesce to that particular skill. Which is fine for the team as a whole. Just ask Hammer, who has done that most of his career.

To actually say that you would slot 'Hoff over Juice is comical. All the d-men can do what he ('Hoff) did, Edler proved that after Hoff. Juice and Salo did that before him.

He was 1-dimensional. And im cool that he is gone. But disappointed he chased $. The Canucks were only slightly better with him.

Edler is by far the better of the 2.

Trust me, you will see 'Hoff get chewed up this season.

The Canucks miss Salo. End of story. So tired of people's fascination with LH d-men. They are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

2sa1qgh.jpg

#119 Batmania

Batmania

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

If you've never heard the term errorhoff you've not been listening very carefully.

I don't get the love for the guy. I mean he's a good offensive D man but a mediocre at best overall d man. (and that's being generous) I'd rather get Salo back. Garry > Ehrhoff.
Posted Image

#120 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

'Hoff is absolutely not the guy the team misses most.

It is Salo.

Edler fully stepped into 'Hoff's role and ran with it. Last season after surgery, he lost a step and just did not look comfy for long sequences.

What 'Hoff brought to the line-up is replaceable by the existing d-corps.

'Hoff's real asset was that he was confident with the puck and was a sublime skater. Obviously he could shoot.

I liked what he brought, but i do not miss him at all.

His strength is replaced by who? Hamhuis? Garrison? Bieksa?

He made the Sedins more dominant on the PP, something none of our puck-moving D men have been able to achieve. Henrik and D. Sedin both won Art Ross trophies during the time we had Ehrhoff. Once he left, everything went down, from PP to Sedin's point stats. Our D core has not been the same ever since Salo and Ehrhoff left yet we have delusional people thinking that they've been replaced.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.