The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Post Yo Pet Thread...

Rate this topic

nux4lyfe

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm gutted, guys.  As some of you know, I had a bun...he was my world.  Came to me right before the stretch to the playoffs, 2011.  

We've been through thick and thin together.  Kids moved out, so it was he and I.  He was just always...there.  I'd rush home from games and he was just so happy to see me...it was glorious.  He understood the words "where are you?" and would come running out from a hiding spot if he'd been sleeping somewhere.

image.png

I had to let him go last week (?) ... I've lost track of time.  I'm struggling. 

I have a really great picture of my guy "wearing" his playoff towel.  I can't find it but later expect it to be re-posted here.

I'll be ok.  In time.  I think.  Thanks for listening.

I'm a little edgy atm and it may come through in some of my posts.  I don't mean it.  I'm trying, hard, to be positive.

Sorry to hear the Deb.  Pets are like family.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm gutted, guys.  As some of you know, I had a bun...he was my world.  Came to me right before the stretch to the playoffs, 2011.  

We've been through thick and thin together.  Kids moved out, so it was he and I.  He was just always...there.  I'd rush home from games and he was just so happy to see me...it was glorious.  He understood the words "where are you?" and would come running out from a hiding spot if he'd been sleeping somewhere.

image.png

I had to let him go last week (?) ... I've lost track of time.  I'm struggling. 

I have a really great picture of my guy "wearing" his playoff towel.  I can't find it but later expect it to be re-posted here.

I'll be ok.  In time.  I think.  Thanks for listening.

I'm a little edgy atm and it may come through in some of my posts.  I don't mean it.  I'm trying, hard, to be positive.

Sorry to hear this news. They make a positive change in our lives, and it hurts so much, when they die.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm gutted, guys.  As some of you know, I had a bun...he was my world.

When I first met my wife she had a Mini Lop named B-fly. He was full of personality, lived with us in a bachelor apt. 

Your little bun looks beautiful, I know you had great years together because over time I have read your posts and know that you are great person.

Take some deep breaths. You know bun had to leave before you, most pets have that heartbreaking life span. 

I'm sorry for your loss Deb. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dan...your comment really resonated with me, and here's why.

Vets don't seem to know a whole lot about rabbits...I realized this when I got my bun 10 years ago and needed a vet.  Immediately the shelter recommended this guy, Dr. Martinez.

He owned his own clinic, building it himself mostly out of bits and pieces and salvaged material.  He customized it to make it a tranquil/serene place.  Constructed a fountain in the waiting area and, for those "tough" visits that you spoke of - a room that was set up with soft lighting/music and easy chairs.  An old doll bassinet was converted into a "holding" pen for the buns and it always had fresh grass in it for them

But it's his heart that's larger than life and we quickly understood that.  He's very modest but we'd seen clippings of the things he'd done for free at the shelters I volunteer at...purely out of the goodness of that big heart.  There were hundreds of rabbits at UVic that were going to be slaughtered in a very inhumane way and he dropped everything and went out to trap/fix as many as he could in order to ship them to a sanctuary in the US (because Canada's really behind in some of this stuff).  Worked all night.  Rinse/repeat with some Jericho bunnies.  

The two local bun shelters here call on him in an endless loop and he never turns them down.  Although he has to charge some for the medications/services, he never says no to a bun in need.  Ever.

He sold his clinic recently as he was undergoing a health scare of his own...we tried with the new owner but it just wasn't good.  Our guy still dabbled there, but was transitioning the new guy in and we didn't realize they'd had a bit of a head butting and he eventually opted out completely.

As my bun went downhill starting in November, I quickly got to the end of my line with the new vet as he was not being very attentive and was simply supplying the same meds, over and over without really exploring options or even checking on him...just write out the very costly prescriptions and see ya when you run out.  He'd done a procedure against the advice our guy and it was probably the beginning of the end.  The next day he took a drastic turn for the worse (head tilt).

When I started exploring new vets I learned that Dr. Martinez, our old friend from the past, had received his own clean bill of health and had resumed part time work at Cypress Clinic in Kits.  I immediately switched over and my bun got the loving care he deserved for his final few weeks.  I feel so very grateful that it was his old friend/doctor who helped him "let go".  He deserved that dignity and it just wasn't happening at the other place.  They even handled his crate roughly with him in it, despite me constantly reminding them that he could no longer stand/balance and it meant he'd topple over and struggle.  Every time.

Anyhow...a long post because, well, this guy is the real deal.  He's kind, frank/open, a little eccentric but is 100% honest and caring.  I knew I could trust him early on when he asked why I was wasting money on "all this crap" from the store when everything I needed to feed my bunny could be found outside.  He could have pushed expensive food at me and I'd never have known the difference.

This picture was taken last week after he'd intervened with two very badly injured buns (in separate incidents)....he even drove this one from his clinic to the shelter in Richmond when a ride could not be arranged.  That's what kind of guy he is.

Not enough words, really, to do him justice.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1
12 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Tess is doing better. She seems to be on the rebound.

The world is cruel though.

My mum's dog is likely to die tonight. She has had an autoimmune situation, at least I think that's the term, white blood cells attacking red. For some reason she went down hill fast this weekend and the vet wanted to put her down this morn. Mum brought her home and we are monitoring her for discomfort. She's likely to fall asleep and die since her oxygen in her blood is getting depleted. 

This is Dee.

IMG_20200201_103402.thumb.jpg.49b2a1058b19d03de6eb795b4dfea6f1.jpg

Go on, give your pets hugs again tonight please.

So sad, but at least it sounds like the passing will be peaceful for her.  Dee looks like a distant relative of Barney.

Congrats on Tess!

• Cheers 1
14 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Tess is doing better. She seems to be on the rebound.

The world is cruel though.

My mum's dog is likely to die tonight. She has had an autoimmune situation, at least I think that's the term, white blood cells attacking red. For some reason she went down hill fast this weekend and the vet wanted to put her down this morn. Mum brought her home and we are monitoring her for discomfort. She's likely to fall asleep and die since her oxygen in her blood is getting depleted. 

This is Dee.

IMG_20200201_103402.thumb.jpg.49b2a1058b19d03de6eb795b4dfea6f1.jpg

Go on, give your pets hugs again tonight please.

Those eyes....rip my heart wide open.  

I secretly wish my little guy had just gone that way....fell asleep at home.  I know he was close, but he was suffering too much to let him linger and could no longer do much of anything.  I had to hand feed him then clean him up but it was a fast and furious deal that played out over the course of a few days (too).  It's blindsiding how fast they slide over to the no return side of things.  My guy had been fighting for months, but I always thought he'd just come around as he always did.  Then he took a drastic turn for the worse.  Caught me off guard and unprepared (can you ever be?) because he'd done it so many times...turned things around.  Beat the odds.

Rest, beautiful friend(s).

Good news on your Tess.  

• Cheers 1
On 7/19/2020 at 8:16 PM, TNucks1 said:

Kaz..jpg

Whose a good looking dog?

My first dog was a black lab, best snake hunter ever. She would only bring them home if my mom was around as she had discovered that mom was afraid of snakes.

Was never sure if Twiggy brought the snakes back to tease my mom, or to help her acclimatize.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, gurn said:

My first dog was a black lab, best snake hunter ever. She would only bring them home if my mom was around as she had discovered that mom was afraid of snakes.

Was never sure if Twiggy brought the snakes back to tease my mom, or to help her acclimatize.

I had a black lab/border collie cross.  She, too, was seemingly into snakes...got bit by one at Loon Lake once.  Had the scars to prove it.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, gurn said:

lol trys to chase lizards and rabbits never does though, but yeah he's an english black lab he's awesome.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update on little Dee.

18 days ago she was sent home from the vets with the expectation that she will be passing. He had offered to put her down that morning. For two days she lay on mum's floor mostly sleeping and looked to be checking out. Her belly was distended, her gums and tongue were white. She was not looking good. I starting to think, is it in bad form to dig a grave before she died? I didn't want to do it while being all upset. I decided to wait anyway.

She's still with us and has rebounded quite a bit.

CBD.

On the third day of having her home waiting for her to die, I googled 'auto immune disorders, CBD and dogs' . I read lots of promising results and info so off I was to pick some up.

The first night of having some, about 6 hrs later she crawled into my mum's arms which she hadn't done for a while. It's now over a couple weeks later and although she still is tired a lot, she is eating, drinking etc... all functions normal and her gums, belly and tongue are back to normal.

We just had an at home visit from a research vet from VIU. He took blood and will try to give us some help. We're not out of the woods yet but what a turn around. Even if we only have her for a little longer, we are so happy because she isn't in pain. She wags, barks and gives cuddles.

Note: vets are not allowed to talk about CBD. They cannot suggest it. 

• Cheers 1