The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks kicking tires on Douglas Murray

DFergy

The Canucks have been kicking the tires on huge free agent defenceman Douglas Murray, his agent confirmed on Tuesday morning.

“We’ve talked to them off and on all summer,” said player agent Anton Thun. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”

The Canucks have just six defencemen signed to NHL contracts next season – two under the usual number – and two of those are fringer Yannick Weber and rookie Frank Corrado. Even if they get a deal done for restricted free agent Chris Tanev, that leaves the blueline numbers one short. Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman has acknowledged the team is looking to add a D-man with NHL experience.

Gilman said Murray is just one in a group of defencemen the team is considering.

“We are looking to add another NHL calibre defenceman to our group and have had discussions with numerous agents regarding various players currently available in the market,” Gilman said in a text message.

Murray, 33, is nothing if not imposing. He’s listed at 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, but that seems light to anyone who’s stood next to the native of Bromma, Sweden.

His strengths are positional play, penalty kill, shot-blocking, making it unpleasant for opposing players to hang out near his goaltender’s crease and standing up for teammates when necessary.

In his eight seasons in San Jose, Murray spent time playing on the top defence pair with Dan Boyle, but the last two seasons was a third-pairing player as his foot-speed became more of a factor. The Sharks moved him at last season’s trade deadline to Pittsburgh in a move to get faster and younger. Murray, who just finished a four-year deal that paid him $2.5 million per, wasn’t re-signed by the Penguins.

Would he be a fit in Vancouver? You would think that new head coach John Tortorella would like his shot-blocking and toughness, but mobility may or may not be a concern depending the role he’s given. Also, Murray’s salary demands will play a major role in the discussion. The Canucks are about $4.3 million under the salary cap, but need to sign Tanev as well. Thun said there’s no rush to get a deal done.

“We’ve identified a number of places that would be beneficial to both Douglas and the hockey club,” said Thun. “Douglas is somewhat of a unique player, but I think his skill set fits well in certain situations and not in others. Part of what we’re trying to do is make sure it’s the right fit where ever he goes, so the players he’s playing with are complementary to him and he’s complementary to them.”

http://blogs.theprov..._medium=twitter

Him playing with Edler would be interesting. Maybe Edler wouldn't be so afraid to throw his body around more consistently if he knew he had a guy that could stand up for him.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Murray

Garrison Tanev

The D definitely looks better with another NHL caliber defenseman in there. My only worry is his foot speed. I can see a team like the Hawks, Blues, or Kings, walking all around him.

Do we still have Alberts? Not saying he's better than Murray but after a rocky start I think he fits in nicely on the bottom pairing for dirt cheap. Regardless I think either would be good cause you never know when you'll need a big strong stay at homer to clear a big body presence in front of the net.

I love that part of his game, don't get me wrong. I like how he's an intimidating presence too.

The fact remains that his foot speed has always been a problem, and it's appeared to get worse in the last couple years.

Against fast teams in the West, you've gotta have a mobile D. Maybe if he was paired with a faster D-man it would counter, but I'm not sure.

Archived