154 replies to this topic

#1 DFergy

DFergy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

"@JamiesonCanucks: #Canucks need another D-man and one they're looking at is Douglas Murray. http://t.co/GeYnzdmF3a"

#2 мeтpо

мeтpо

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

This means bye bye Tanev

#3 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,130 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

This means bye bye Tanev

Currently we're at, with tanev:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
????-Tanev
Weber

So no, not bye bye Tanev.

Posted Image

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#4 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

This means bye bye Tanev

Or Alberts, you know....

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Would not mind.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,922 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Too slow.

The guy is a physical beast, but he gets danced by faster forwards way too easily. And at 33 he's bound to just get slower.

Pass.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#7 мeтpо

мeтpо

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Currently we're at, with tanev:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
????-Tanev
Weber

So no, not bye bye Tanev.

Weber > Tanev.AINEC

#8 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Damn I dont want Tanev to go

#9 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

The Canucks have been kicking the tires on huge free agent defenceman Douglas Murray, his agent confirmed on Tuesday morning.

“We’ve talked to them off and on all summer,” said player agent Anton Thun. “At this point we’re not close to signing. There are a group of clubs that have interest, so it comes down to the right circumstances and the right dollars. At this point in time there’s a gridlock in terms of cap space and money availability with a number of clubs. Until some of that shakes out and the dominoes start to fall, I think the market is going to be tight. Whenever that starts to shake out, we’ll react accordingly as to what might be the right place.”

The Canucks have just six defencemen signed to NHL contracts next season – two under the usual number – and two of those are fringer Yannick Weber and rookie Frank Corrado. Even if they get a deal done for restricted free agent Chris Tanev, that leaves the blueline numbers one short. Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman has acknowledged the team is looking to add a D-man with NHL experience.

Gilman said Murray is just one in a group of defencemen the team is considering.
“We are looking to add another NHL calibre defenceman to our group and have had discussions with numerous agents regarding various players currently available in the market,” Gilman said in a text message.

Murray, 33, is nothing if not imposing. He’s listed at 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, but that seems light to anyone who’s stood next to the native of Bromma, Sweden.

His strengths are positional play, penalty kill, shot-blocking, making it unpleasant for opposing players to hang out near his goaltender’s crease and standing up for teammates when necessary.

In his eight seasons in San Jose, Murray spent time playing on the top defence pair with Dan Boyle, but the last two seasons was a third-pairing player as his foot-speed became more of a factor. The Sharks moved him at last season’s trade deadline to Pittsburgh in a move to get faster and younger. Murray, who just finished a four-year deal that paid him $2.5 million per, wasn’t re-signed by the Penguins.

Would he be a fit in Vancouver? You would think that new head coach John Tortorella would like his shot-blocking and toughness, but mobility may or may not be a concern depending the role he’s given. Also, Murray’s salary demands will play a major role in the discussion. The Canucks are about $4.3 million under the salary cap, but need to sign Tanev as well. Thun said there’s no rush to get a deal done.

“We’ve identified a number of places that would be beneficial to both Douglas and the hockey club,” said Thun. “Douglas is somewhat of a unique player, but I think his skill set fits well in certain situations and not in others. Part of what we’re trying to do is make sure it’s the right fit where ever he goes, so the players he’s playing with are complementary to him and he’s complementary to them.”

http://blogs.theprov..._medium=twitter

Edited by Canucks_fo_life, 13 August 2013 - 01:02 PM.

I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#10 мeтpо

мeтpо

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Too slow.

The guy is a physical beast, but he gets danced by faster forwards way too easily. And at 33 he's bound to just get slower.

Pass.

He throws his body infront of the net on the PK and block shots and lays punishing hits... you're saying you would not want him on the 3rd pairing?

#11 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,922 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Him playing with Edler would be interesting. Maybe Edler wouldn't be so afraid to throw his body around more consistently if he knew he had a guy that could stand up for him.

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Murray
Garrison Tanev

The D definitely looks better with another NHL caliber defenseman in there. My only worry is his foot speed. I can see a team like the Hawks, Blues, or Kings, walking all around him.

Posted Image

#12 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Do we still have Alberts? Not saying he's better than Murray but after a rocky start I think he fits in nicely on the bottom pairing for dirt cheap. Regardless I think either would be good cause you never know when you'll need a big strong stay at homer to clear a big body presence in front of the net.
Posted Image

#13 DFergy

DFergy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Canucklas Murray

#14 Hodgson!!

Hodgson!!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Better than Fistric..
Posted Image

Signature Made by Vintage Canuck

#15 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,922 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

He throws his body infront of the net on the PK and block shots and lays punishing hits... you're saying you would not want him on the 3rd pairing?

I love that part of his game, don't get me wrong. I like how he's an intimidating presence too.

The fact remains that his foot speed has always been a problem, and it's appeared to get worse in the last couple years.

Against fast teams in the West, you've gotta have a mobile D. Maybe if he was paired with a faster D-man it would counter, but I'm not sure.

Posted Image

#16 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

The D core is really missing that big physical presence. I'd be more than happy with Murray, Fristic or Alberts. I hope MG signs O'Byrne too for the right side. It would allow the team to handle the bigger gritty teams finally.
http://Posted Image

#17 мeтpо

мeтpо

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I love that part of his game, don't get me wrong. I like how he's an intimidating presence too.

The fact remains that his foot speed has always been a problem, and it's appeared to get worse in the last couple years.

Against fast teams in the West, you've gotta have a mobile D. Maybe if he was paired with a faster D-man it would counter, but I'm not sure.

With Douglas Murray, you have to use him in the right situations. If you expect him to be a mobile D who moves the puck and pinches, he's going to get beat... If you leave him in a shutdown role staying back then he can be a VERY useful D-man and can punish the opposing team's forwards all night. All depends on what the defence coach does with him in whether he'd be useful or not.

#18 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

too slow imo
Posted Image

#19 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,012 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Depends on salary-to-value ratio. If he comes at a bottom-pairing price, then yay. If top-4, then boo.

I wouldn't get too excited about it. imho K-Con may have been a better option.
Posted Image

#20 Absent Canuck

Absent Canuck

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

I would like to see the price tag but I wouldnt mind if Gillis pumped Murrays tires for a year.

Another great sig by Vintage Canuck

#21 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,949 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Meh, pretty much just telling us we're one of any number of teams discussing a deal with him. It's the same with Alberts, who we've been looking at re-signing. If we go with Murray over someone like Alberts or Fistric, it'll have to come on a value contract due to our cap space and the limited/specialized role he'd have to play.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#22 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,922 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

With Douglas Murray, you have to use him in the right situations. If you expect him to be a mobile D who moves the puck and pinches, he's going to get beat... If you leave him in a shutdown role staying back then he can be a VERY useful D-man and can punish the opposing team's forwards all night. All depends on what the defence coach does with him in whether he'd be useful or not.

That's true. And I think Torts is a smart enough coach to use him in situations he'll be successful in. It seemed like AV forced certain players into situations they wouldn't have success in, and set them up for failure.

I just look at the Hawks D-core and how mobile it is, and think that's more the style the Canucks need to play to be successful. Our transition game is what made this team so great in 10/11. And I'm not sure we have the personnel to play a tighter more physical style, even with Murray.

I guess time will tell. Maybe Murray could even end up finding his place with Hamhuis and have success, sort of the way he did with Boyle being the puck mover.

Posted Image

#23 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

POPULAR

Anyone else think that since the Tanev KHL rumours were obviously leaked by his agent yesterday, this is Gillis' reply telling him to go frack himself?

#24 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,664 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

I wouldnt mind him on a 3rd pairing role.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#25 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Do Something MG!!!!
Posted Image

#26 Mr.Mulletandbars

Mr.Mulletandbars

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Bring CrankShaft to the Canucks! I would like this signing

#27 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,949 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Anyone else think that since the Tanev KHL rumours were obviously leaked by his agent yesterday, this is Gillis' reply telling him to go frack himself?

Haha! Maybe, not that they're directly comparable but it shows there's no shortage of reasonable depth defencemen out on the market.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#28 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

We definitely need another NHL veteran for our top 6 to increase the competition and depth on the roster.

#29 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

I would rather have fistric...a younger version of Murray
Posted Image

#30 мeтpо

мeтpо

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

I would rather have fistric...a younger version of Murray

Murray is way better than Fistric.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.