#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,977 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

POPULAR

Captain Henrik Sedin is confident he and Daniel will sign new contracts with the Canucks sometime in the future. The soon to be 33-year-olds are entering the final year of their current deals.
Henrik is waiting for Daniel to return from Sweden.

The captain told Sportsnet, “I’m sure we are going to sit down and talk before training camp and see where we are. For us there is no rush. If things can get get done we’re more than happy, if not we’re happy to wait.”

Each Sedin will make $6.1 million this coming season, wrapping up five-year deals. Henrik added he and his brother want to stay in BC.

“There is no secret we like where we are, I think everyone knows that. For us to be able to have our family where we want them to be, that’s very important for us.”

Henrik led the Canucks in scoring in last years NHL lockout shortened season with 11 goals and 45 assists in all 48 games.

Daniel played a game less and was second in club scoring with a dozen goals and 28 assists.
This will be the 13th season for the twins in Canucks uniforms since being drafted in 1999 by the team.

http://www.news1130...._medium=twitter

While I think we all expected this, it's nice to hear they're looking to extend and play at least a few more years here. I welcome them back personally.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

3-4 years $4.75-$5 million per
Lock em up Gillis!!!!
CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#3 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

The next question is what will they get resigned for
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#4 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

POPULAR

Lock em up Gillis!!!!

no need for a pay cut.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#5 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

I think Gillis may want to wait and see what the cap is going to be at for next year before he signs them. That said I expect that he would sit down and at least talk about length and rough dollar figures.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

The next question is what will they get resigned for

Question is..... What will THEY ask for? If they both have Art Ross seasons, im sure their 6.1mil will be the floor. If they stay the same as the past 2 seasons, then ya.... I like a little lower or use as trade bait so the new blood can come in.

#7 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Not sure why they'd want to stay under Gillis. Treats his team with no respect and makes no gains despite constantly saying about "re-tooling"

Feaster is better than Gillis.

:blink:
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 MickVega

MickVega

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

POPULAR

'Nucks for life. I hope all realize how special those two are. What we have experienced with the Sedins is more rare than a once in a lifetime occurrence. Most likely there will never be another a set of twins that are as talented as them who end up playing their entire careers together, and we got to see it. Call me selfish but I don't want to share it with other fans.

#9 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Question is..... What will THEY ask for? If they both have Art Ross seasons, im sure their 6.1mil will be the floor. If they stay the same as the past 2 seasons, then ya.... I like a little lower or use as trade bait so the new blood can come in.

They are easily top 20 players yet they currently make ~ top 40 money.

I'd say a little pay raise just for inflation and respect is about right.

3 years, 20 million. They are not greedy and Gillis can live with it.

#10 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

POPULAR

Good to hear.

MG could probably just give them each a blank cheque for them to choose the $ amount, and we'd still get great deals.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#11 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

no need for a pay cut.

I am sure beyond sure that the both of them will sign for about $5 million+ knowing the cap is going up fast and that a 3-4 year term will see them through retirement.

Taking that paycut will show the youth coming in they're team players this is a team mentality and it will help the team bring in top end talent for them to play with. Every dollar helps.

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#12 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

I wonder if the the 35+ rule is a factor?

Signing a longer contract would be advantageous for both the Sedins and the team. Lifetime?

This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not (unless the player is on long-term injured reserve); this provision remains in effect for the 2013 CBA. This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years.

edit - I see their Birthday is in Sept. (I checked both, forgot they were twins,duh). Theoretically means they could sign for just 1 year, then sign their multi-year contract by Sept. the following off-season.

Edited by Canada Hockey Place, 22 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

Quando omni flunkus moritati

#13 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

3 yrs at 6.25M

4 years at 6M
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#14 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Lock em up Gillis!!!!

you're delusional if you think they are going to take a paycut like that

200.gif200.gif

#15 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

The Sedin's are still elite level players. More importantly, the way they play, they will maintain a high level for years to come. While it would be nice if they signed for less then $6M, I just can't see that happening. On any other team, they would bank in anywhere between $7.5-$8M. Regardless of the amount, they will be re-signed. I'd be happy if they signed for even $7M, because that's still an underpayment for what they bring.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#16 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,977 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Depending on term, I could see them willing to accept closer to $5M for a longer deal, and $5.5 for a shorter one. I don't think they'll get raises as some are suggesting; they took a little less to help the team last time so I'm sure they'd take a little less than their actual value this time as well.

If they are declining - even by a little - then anything other than a short term deal would be risky at a higher $$. With the cap the way it is, I think the Sedins will be particularly aware of the need to not try and take more so they can help the team.

Many people are thinking much of the contracts now are overpriced by a fair amount. Remember, the Sedins couldn't use UFA signings as a comparable if it was an arbitration. They may even understand the way things have become overblown and chose a more fair value rather than going for a Getzlaf/Perry-esque deal (who were way overpaid imo).

Edited by elvis15, 22 August 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#17 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hopefully MG won't get JP Barry'ed like Murray did.

Henrik led the Canucks in scoring in last years NHL lockout shortened season with 11 goals and 45 assists in all 48 games.

JP Barry probably slipped news 1130 those stats. Pretty sure Hank didn't have as many points as Crosby last year.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,977 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hopefully MG won't get JP Barry'ed like Murray did.

JP Barry probably slipped news 1130 those stats. Pretty sure Hank didn't have as many points as Crosby last year.

Actually, he had 45 points. 11 goals was right but he only had 34 assists.

#19 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Good to hear.

MG could probably just give them each a blank cheque for them to choose the $ amount, and we'd still get great deals.

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#20 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,611 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

4 years at $5-$5.5 million. With the cap most likely going up after this season I'm sure the Sedins will take another pay cut so Gillis can load up for 2014-15.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#21 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Henrik may still be worth the big money but not sure about D Sedin. Hasn't been the same since Keith tried to end his career.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#22 Tre Mac

Tre Mac

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

They wanted to make sure Sesito was signed first before they contemplated resigning or heading back to Sveeden.

#23 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Depending on term, I could see them willing to accept closer to $5M for a longer deal, and $5.5 for a shorter one. I don't think they'll get raises as some are suggesting; they took a little less to help the team last time so I'm sure they'd take a little less than their actual value this time as well.

If they are declining - even by a little - then anything other than a short term deal would be risky at a higher $$. With the cap the way it is, I think the Sedins will be particularly aware of the need to not try and take more so they can help the team.

Many people are thinking much of the contracts now are overpriced by a fair amount. Remember, the Sedins couldn't use UFA signings as a comparable if it was an arbitration. They may even understand the way things have become overblown and chose a more fair value rather than going for a Getzlaf/Perry-esque deal (who were way overpaid imo).

I 100% agree even though I am apparently delusional.

people forget they took less than they could have gotten during their last contract and a $5 million + contract for the both of them for the 3 or 4 years they said they would play is far from out of the question.

They are the epitomy of team player and would realize that any money left on the table means they can sign better guys to get over the hump.

But even though they've done this before I am delusional for thinking of it or agreeing to it.

I think Elvis has it right.

#24 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

So they want to stay in BC? I wonder if that includes after they finish playing hockey. Their kids are all pretty young still.

Posted Image

#25 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Their kids are all pretty young still.

How are the kids not signed yet? They must be getting offers from the KHL by now. ::D
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#26 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

I see 2 years at 6 or with a slight raise at 6.5 to give the team breathing room (they are former Art Ross trophy winners after all). Gives the team cap flexibility and opportunity for both sides to re-visit after 2 years. Sedins said themselves they have no problem signing shorter contracts going forward, and given their personal and working relationship with MG and the organization, I think both sides trust and respect each other enough to continue making fair deals.

If they take a pay cut for less than 6million it will be after 2 years depending on how their seasons go.

Edited by Kola Nuts, 22 August 2013 - 10:29 AM.

200.gif200.gif

#27 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I think they will take as much of a hometown discount as they did last time. I'd say the equivalent today would be about $5m per, for 3 or 4 years.

#28 KyleCanuck250

KyleCanuck250

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

I could see them signing for 5-6.5 mil for 3 years, that cup window along with their careers are slowly closing so Im thinking they could be getting a little anxious on ending their careers with every trophy except the big one, these guys are class acts and seem to love Van city so i wouldnt be surprised

#29 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

25 - 30 million over 5 years is what I'd guess.

Though if they're willing to be traded at the deadline for something stupid (4 firsts+) I'd give them 35 million over 5 years after that.

#30 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Not sure why they'd want to stay under Gillis. Treats his team with no respect and makes no gains despite constantly saying about "re-tooling"

Feaster is better than Gillis.

At an eating contest...maybe. Feaster's main office is in Uncle Willy's, GMMG's is in the ivory tower. GMMG has put a competitive team together for years running while Feaster recycles old washed up hacks and bit players. There is no comparison and I can't believe you just made me defend Gillis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.