The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins plan to stay in Vancouver with the Canucks

elvis15

Captain Henrik Sedin is confident he and Daniel will sign new contracts with the Canucks sometime in the future. The soon to be 33-year-olds are entering the final year of their current deals.

Henrik is waiting for Daniel to return from Sweden.

The captain told Sportsnet, “I’m sure we are going to sit down and talk before training camp and see where we are. For us there is no rush. If things can get get done we’re more than happy, if not we’re happy to wait.”

Each Sedin will make $6.1 million this coming season, wrapping up five-year deals. Henrik added he and his brother want to stay in BC.

“There is no secret we like where we are, I think everyone knows that. For us to be able to have our family where we want them to be, that’s very important for us.”

Henrik led the Canucks in scoring in last years NHL lockout shortened season with 11 goals and 45 assists in all 48 games.

Daniel played a game less and was second in club scoring with a dozen goals and 28 assists.

This will be the 13th season for the twins in Canucks uniforms since being drafted in 1999 by the team.

'Nucks for life. I hope all realize how special those two are. What we have experienced with the Sedins is more rare than a once in a lifetime occurrence. Most likely there will never be another a set of twins that are as talented as them who end up playing their entire careers together, and we got to see it. Call me selfish but I don't want to share it with other fans.

I wonder if the the 35+ rule is a factor?

Signing a longer contract would be advantageous for both the Sedins and the team. Lifetime?

This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not (unless the player is on long-term injured reserve); this provision remains in effect for the 2013 CBA. This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years.

The Sedin's are still elite level players. More importantly, the way they play, they will maintain a high level for years to come. While it would be nice if they signed for less then $6M, I just can't see that happening. On any other team, they would bank in anywhere between $7.5-$8M. Regardless of the amount, they will be re-signed. I'd be happy if they signed for even $7M, because that's still an underpayment for what they bring.

Depending on term, I could see them willing to accept closer to $5M for a longer deal, and $5.5 for a shorter one. I don't think they'll get raises as some are suggesting; they took a little less to help the team last time so I'm sure they'd take a little less than their actual value this time as well.

If they are declining - even by a little - then anything other than a short term deal would be risky at a higher $$. With the cap the way it is, I think the Sedins will be particularly aware of the need to not try and take more so they can help the team.

Many people are thinking much of the contracts now are overpriced by a fair amount. Remember, the Sedins couldn't use UFA signings as a comparable if it was an arbitration. They may even understand the way things have become overblown and chose a more fair value rather than going for a Getzlaf/Perry-esque deal (who were way overpaid imo).

Archived