The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filling The Gaps

Watermelon

Now that our precious savior Tanev signed we have about 2.8million left to sign two players. You usually can't even get one good player for that much the way things are going so who do you think we could sign. We need one D and one forward, so maybe Hainsey and Boyes/Grabovski? This is what our lineup looks like right now.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) /Dale Weise ($0.750m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,452,778; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,847,222

It wouldn't surprise me if MG holds onto that cap space and tries to get another "Ehrhoff" type trade. How many teams are above the cap already? Flyers, Wings, Rangers and Leafs will be too. Those are just off the top of my head.

Everyone seems to forget about Jensen. He'll have Booths spot come opening night and if he plays well enough he will stick. Schroeder will center the 3rd line with Higgins and Hanson

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen Kesler Burrows

Higgins Schroeder Hanson

Weiss Richardson Sestito/Santorreli

Why do we want to add more Forwards? I thought we were giving youngsters a shot. Sign one depth D, Hainsey or Alberts and hold onto some cap room for a future trade

With the Alberts signing we are left with 2.2 million to sign one forward. I want to sign a forward because you can't expect Gaunce,Jensen,Schroeder or even Kassian to contibute consistently. A player like Grabovski could be huge for us. 4 lines we can roll confidently, #1line, #2a line, #2bline and a 4th line that could be a decent 3rd line

Sedin-Sedin-Kass

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder

Burrows-Grabovski-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Wiese

If Corrado does well in camp and pre-season I see him sticking. He showed well last year in his limited games played. Torts said that he is going to give the "kids" a lot of room to play. Obviously paraphrasing here, but it sounds like there are a few that will get legitimate chances to either play (Corrado, Gaunce, Horvat) or contribute more (Kassian). If Alberts isn't comfortable with the break-out, or misses a check I would not be surprised if Corrado gets a shot over him. I can't speak for Weber because I don't really know him.

If we sign one more contract without trades it should be a depth centre for the very likely situation that the 'kids' are not ready to make the jump. David Steckel made 1.1 mil last year and is a good face-off guy. He could fill in a 4th line centre roll nicely for the right price.

I don't see a lot of people considering Lain for the 4th line spot. That, and one of Gaunce or Horvat could impress and take the 3rd line center role. We also know Tortorella has it in mind to play Burrows with Kesler so consider that when making your lineup.

If we signed Grabs I would faint like a damsel in distress. However if we sign him or anyone else, we are basically smothering our young guys' opportunities for roster spots this year. Although with 2 mil we might all get our wish and get some injury insurance for Kes and Booth.

Archived