The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filling The Gaps

Watermelon

canucks never sign anyone big so that boat has sailed

still need SCORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and of course this off-season we got no scoring sum more grinders --- reminds of the days of nonis isbister,ritchie, chounard , richard park.

gillis going that same road

haha

canucks never sign anyone big so that boat has sailed

still need SCORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and of course this off-season we got no scoring sum more grinders --- reminds of the days of nonis isbister,ritchie, chounard , richard park.

gillis going that same road

haha

Honestly, the way it's looking is the rest of the team will be filled out with rookies and guys at league min salaries. Lineup as of today looks like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Booth-Kesler-Hansen

Higgins-?-Kassian

?-Richardson-Weise

?

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Alberts-Tanev

?-?

Lu

?

I was careful not to put any rookies in. Our rookies, tweeners, and veterans trying to make the team:

Lack

Eriksson

Santorelli

Schroeder

Jensen

Gaunce

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Lain

Archibald

Ferriero

Sestito

Andersson

Sauve

Corrado

Weber

Honestly, there are lots of ways the team can go. For me, Lack is the backup. He is on a 1 way now and has played the North American game.

Defense is a lil more wide open. If the coaching staff choose to go with splitting Garrison and Edler and having them both on the left side, then Corrado has a shot at the big club. If they go with the low minutes bottom pairing, then we may go after a 7-8 left side guy before the season starts or give the press box spots to Anderson, Sauve, and/or Weber.

Then the forwards. I don't think Jensen or Shinkaruk make the team unless Booth is injured still. They are strictly top 6 guys, pretty much. I don't think Horvat makes the team this year unless he outplays Schroeder, Gaunce, and Santorelli for the 3rd line center spot. Anything less than 3rd line center would be wasting a year of his contract and most importantly wasting his talent. I don't think Lain makes the team unless Schroeder, Gaunce, and Santorelli flop, pushing Richardson up to the 3rd line. That's also unlikely. Which leaves 5 forwards vying for the 3 forward spots

Santorelli

Schroeder

Gaunce

Ferriero

Archibald

3rd line center possibles are Santorelli, Schroeder, and Gaunce. I think the winner there is probably Schroeder. Santorelli signed a two way and Schroeder has more upside. And unless Gaunce beats out both, I don't see him making 3rd line center just yet. And Schroeder doesn't make this team unless he is 3rd line center or feeding Kesler on the second. So pretty much 3rd line center or bust for either him or Santorelli.

The 4th line and pressbox spots are left

Gaunce

Archibald

Sestito

Ferriero

I think out of all these guys to make it, it's gotta be Gaunce for 4th line left wing. He has top 9 capability, possibly top 6. He can play wing, he can play center, he is big enough to play on the 4th line and it will give him a taste of how fast the NHL game is. If he is ready, then he gets that every day spot. And when Booth gets injured and he will, we have someone here that can move up in the lineup, without having to resort to a call up. He has to show that potential in camp though. Otherwise it's back to the minors. And we don't want him rotting in the pressbox either.

Archibald should make it interesting and I think he could possibly beat out Sestito for pressbox privileges, but Benn Ferriero will be tough to kick off the team for opening night. Either for pressbox privileges or for the opening night lineup.

In closing, I'm going with Schroeder for 3rd line center. Gaunce getting 9 games at 4th line LW and let the chips fall where they may. Ferriero and Sestito in and out of the pressbox. Archibald being the 1st(or 2nd) 4th line call up.

Lack becoming back up to Lu

Defense being wide open, depending on Garrison playing the left or right side.

Forward: Jensen

Defence: Hainsey, Kuba, Whitney, Gill.. Alberts?

Plenty of options.

I honestly believe a rookie, if not two, will make the team this year.

Jensen = 2nd Line winger

Schroeder may not qualify as one but he'll be 3C.

Archibald, Gaunce, Corrado are all possibilities as well.

Schroeder can't play in Utica without clearing waivers. So Schroeder has to play in the NHL.

Sedins - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Schroeder

Booth/Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Higgins/Booth - Richardson - Weise

Sestito/Santortelli

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Corrado

Alberts/Weber

Lu

Lack

Right now here are the locks and spots we need filling:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - ??? - Higgins

??? - ??? - ???

Obviously for the 2 center spots we have these guys fighting it out, in this order:

Richardson, Schroeder, Santorelli, Gaunce, Lain, Hamill, Horvat

For the 4th line winger spots we have these guys:

Ferriero, Jensen, Weise, Shinkaruk, Sestito, Archibald

There's a really diverse mix of size, speed and skill in that group so Tortorella can really mix and match however he wants depending on the opponent. Personally though I hope to see this for good chemistry:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (twins need a big body and Burrows was flat with them last season)

Burrows - Kesler - Booth (re-unite Burr and Kes)

Hansen - Schroeder - Jensen (young, speedy, talented and gritty line with 2 Danes for chemistry)

Higgins - Richardson - Ferriero (all very similar types of players, a lot like Boston's 4th line in 2011)

Santorelli

Really the fourth line becomes moot during the critical times in a game other than desperation... Coaches love to roll four lines when they are winning but that's about it. Sometimes lines get benched for the energy of fourth line players but it's rare.

Focus on the top nine. Higgins has to play on the third line.

The only real question marks for me are who will dominate the dot on the third line and is Booth healthy?

Whomever can win draws will win the 3C position. That's what wins games from the third line, not offense or defense.

Right now here are the locks and spots we need filling:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - ??? - Higgins

??? - ??? - ???

Obviously for the 2 center spots we have these guys fighting it out, in this order:

Richardson, Schroeder, Santorelli, Gaunce, Lain, Hamill, Horvat

For the 4th line winger spots we have these guys:

Ferriero, Jensen, Weise, Shinkaruk, Sestito, Archibald

There's a really diverse mix of size, speed and skill in that group so Tortorella can really mix and match however he wants depending on the opponent. Personally though I hope to see this for good chemistry:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (twins need a big body and Burrows was flat with them last season)

Burrows - Kesler - Booth (re-unite Burr and Kes)

Hansen - Schroeder - Jensen (young, speedy, talented and gritty line with 2 Danes for chemistry)

Higgins - Richardson - Ferriero (all very similar types of players, a lot like Boston's 4th line in 2011)

Santorelli

If Tampa's out at the deadline, I would love to see us trade for Salo.

He's already very familiar with our team, would add alot to our powerplay, and at his age with only a couple months left on his contract would likely cost next to nothing. Plus it would probably be a great boost to the guys on the team.

The third line is not what I would call gritty, only Hansen is gritty, Jensen is not at all and Schroeder is to small to be effectively gritty and is not really gritty at all anyway.

The fourth line has marginal grit as well...What to do...Mallet, Archie or Sestito have to be on that 4th line and Jensen needs to be first call up for the top two lines unless Booth isn't ready.

Archived