111 replies to this topic

#1 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

This is my unpredictable move for next season.

What do you think? My intuition is that the top line would be strong in both ends of the rink. All three players have excellent chemistry with each other. My only concern is whether Henrik could play wing of if Kesler would be better suited at the wing position? I know we are all used to kesler being the primary seconday centre, but I think it could be really interesting to see VAN stack their top line.

Schroeder could/maybe centre the second alongside Burrows/Booth/Kassian/Higgins and still provide secondary scoring. Schroeder would benefit having better offensive players on his wings, but could he handle second line minutes and defense? My hope is he can step up this year and do that.

The bottom 6 would still be very defensively responsible, especially a third line of Hansen/Richardson/Higgins assuming these responsibilities.

I guess the idea is dependent on Schroeder stepping up and playing second line minutes. That is a big if I must admit.

Edited by Kola Nuts, 23 August 2013 - 12:00 AM.

G4fSut.gif

#2 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

IF Kesler was moved up with the Sedins, I think he'd be the winger, not Henrik.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#3 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Who knows what crazy plans Torts has up his sleeve. I'd like to see Kes stay on the 2nd tho.

My line-up game 1 would be

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Jensen
Burrows-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Richardson-Weise/Gaunce

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado

Luongo
Lack
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#4 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

That would leave us with a weak 2nd line. I doubt Schroeder would be able to put up numbers that we would need him to if he's getting all those minutes.

But if he can, then it would be an option worth trying out.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,378 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

POPULAR

Torts did say he would put Kesler and Burrows back together so maybe we could see something like this?

Sedin - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Sedin - Kassian

I think that top six could work.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

I don't like the idea, it leaves us with very little depth and secondary scoring. Guys like Schroeder,Booth, Kassian, Hansen and Higgins aren't consistent enough to play on the second line. I'd rather split up the Sedins than stack the top line, our forward depth is weak as it is.

#7 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

I don't like the idea, it leaves us with very little depth and secondary scoring. Guys like Schroeder,Booth, Kassian, Hansen and Higgins aren't consistent enough to play on the second line. I'd rather split up the Sedins than stack the top line, our forward depth is weak as it is.

Yeah it would be a disaster if there was no secondary scoring, but in the pre-season at least I think it would kind of fun/re-freshing to see a new look second line or as has been mentioned Burrows/Kesler playing together. But boy-o-boy Kesler and the Sedins would rule together.

G4fSut.gif

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,309 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Who knows what crazy plans Torts has up his sleeve.

We do. Torts has already said he'd like to put Burrows and Kesler back together.

That's not to say that couldn't change, but this has been suggested before (and recently) but it's just not going to happen. Either Burrows ends up back with the Sedins, or Kassian finds a home there.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#9 Dale Weise's Dad

Dale Weise's Dad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

GM MG OUT GM'D AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

#10 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

I still say the Sedins should only play together on the PP...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#11 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,412 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:25 AM

Who knows what crazy plans Torts has up his sleeve. I'd like to see Kes stay on the 2nd tho.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Jensen
Burrows-Schroeder-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado

Luongo
Lack

Or maybe Torts isn't AV where all the lines are going to be put in the blender every other shift?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#12 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

Posted Image

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#13 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

Kesler top line material?

Yeah, no.

Edited by shiznak, 23 August 2013 - 04:17 AM.

BaOiJ02.png

#14 Nicklas Bo Hunter

Nicklas Bo Hunter

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen (pure goal scoring line)
Booth-Kesler-Kassian (Holy big power line)
Burrows-Schroeder-Hansen (Defensive line)
Higgins-Richardson-Weise (probably one of the best fourth lines)

#15 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:31 AM

This is my unpredictable move for next season.

What do you think? My intuition is that the top line would be strong in both ends of the rink. All three players have excellent chemistry with each other. My only concern is whether Henrik could play wing of if Kesler would be better suited at the wing position? I know we are all used to kesler being the primary seconday centre, but I think it could be really interesting to see VAN stack their top line.

Schroeder could/maybe centre the second alongside Burrows/Booth/Kassian/Higgins and still provide secondary scoring. Schroeder would benefit having better offensive players on his wings, but could he handle second line minutes and defense? My hope is he can step up this year and do that.

The bottom 6 would still be very defensively responsible, especially a third line of Hansen/Richardson/Higgins assuming these responsibilities.

I guess the idea is dependent on Schroeder stepping up and playing second line minutes. That is a big if I must admit.

No chance Kesler would be Centre if he played with Henrik, no chance at all

#16 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

Torts did say he would put Kesler and Burrows back together so maybe we could see something like this?

Sedin - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Sedin - Kassian

I always wanted to see a stacked physical line as our top line;

Daniel/Kesler/Booth An unbelievable passer, one of the worlds best (and most physical) 2 way centre's, and Booth a 217 lb beast athlete. Oh, 3 guys each who each could and probably would score 30 goals. Danny would get Booth and Kess rockin.

Why not Kassian?

Burrows/Hank/Kassian Kassian would add muscle to two of the niftiest and smartest players in the game. He could not help but learn the game and might score 30 as well...

#17 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

Daniel/Kesler/Booth An unbelievable passer, one of the worlds best (and most physical) 2 way centre's, and Booth a 217 lb beast athlete. Oh, 3 guys each who each could and probably would score 30 goals. Danny would get Booth and Kess rockin.

Why not Kassian?

Burrows/Hank/Kassian Kassian would add muscle to two of the niftiest and smartest players in the game. He could not help but learn the game and might score 30 as well...

This is pretty interesting, as well.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad, 23 August 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#18 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Jensen
Burrows-Schroeder-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado

Luongo
Lack

Don't like the D pairings, Garrison is not a 3rd line D-man and Tanev is not physical enough to be on the 2nd with Edler. Pairings will probably be Hammer/KB3-Edler/Garrison-Alberts/Tanev/Corrado with Webber as spare.

#19 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Why not Kassian?

Add to the fact that Hank and Burr have unbelievable chemistry together. Hmmm... I like this.

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#20 hiebskey

hiebskey

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Why not Kassian?

I usually don't like these jumbled lines (especially with the twins apart), but this actually has potential. What better way then this to get Booth going again as well
saskatchewan's biggest Canuck fan :)

#21 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,001 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Torts decides to split up the Sedins if we're on a losing streak.

307mg00.jpg

#22 insomniac604

insomniac604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Wasn't there some talk about Kesler playing on the 3rd line? But if Torts intends to keep him with Burr then that is out. No chance in hell they both play on 3rd.

Neither Schroeder or Kesler belong on a checking line so one will have to move to wing.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Schroeder - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Gaunce - Hansen
Higgins - Richardson - Weise

Kesler will take favourable face-offs no matter what position he plays.

Booth and Schroeder are interchangeable at this point. They will both get opportunities for top 6 minutes and somebody will step up.

Edited by insomniac604, 23 August 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#23 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Sedin - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Sedin - Kassian

^^Henrik on the 2nd line :lol:

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#24 singing chef

singing chef

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Years ago many centre ice men were small but very quick and were able to cope reasonably well against other centres in the face-off circle and one-on-one battles. In todays NHL virtually all centres are on the big side so undersized centres would struggle. Small wingers can survive with their low centre of gravity provided they are strong enough in the lower body (Martin St.Louis is a classic example).

Therefore I am of the opinion that Schroeder's only chance at being a regular NHL player is to switch to wing. He'll not survive as a centre. Having him as a 3rd. line winger might add scoring to that line, since his defensive coverage is reasonable.

#25 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

We'd have no one to anchor the second line. We already have problems with secondary scoring, as well as the Sedins getting shutdown in the playoffs because they are the only line that people need to put their top D against. It would make it so Kesler couldn't play any kind of shutdown role at all, as well. All around I think its a terrible idea.

#26 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

^^Henrik on the 2nd line :lol:

Don't laugh; a line with Kesler, a physical challenge who draws match ups already, Danny and virtually anyone is going to draw the oppositions best defenders.

Then Hank is going to absolutely carve up secondary match ups.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 23 August 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#27 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

More likely that this would happen in special situations more often. Trailing third period/end of a game.
Posted Image

#28 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

More likely that this would happen in special situations more often. Trailing third period/end of a game.

I would think the opposite?

We have always had to shelter the Twins/Burr with offensive shifts. Yes just as much or more because they're good at it as because it's a less than imposing physical line. Nonetheless you can stack your match ups to play against them.

So we break them up, particularly on the road so opposing coaches have to line juggle to keep up with us. Then play the Twins/Burr in the 3rd period situations when we need a goal (and they'll play their top defensive pairing anyway)...

#29 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

We'd have no one to anchor the second line. We already have problems with secondary scoring, as well as the Sedins getting shutdown in the playoffs because they are the only line that people need to put their top D against. It would make it so Kesler couldn't play any kind of shutdown role at all, as well. All around I think its a terrible idea.

The idea definitely hinges on someone being able to step up and play good second line minutes and without it the idea I agree is worthless. Maybe Schroeder steps up? I think with him and Burrows and maybe even Higgins you would have a defensively sound line.

And you're right, Kesler has traditionally been viewed as the teams top shutdown centre. My intuition is that like Tortorella says, even the Sedins have to play a complete 2 way game. I don't think they're are that far off, but with Kesler they would have that tenacious 2 way player that could even strengthen their play moreso. And maybe with Kesler some good, new things happen that we havn't seen yet with Burrows/Kassian and the variety of other wingers they have had. Or maybe break the Sedins up for 5 on 5 play like others have mentioned? Worth a shot if it works right?

The strength of the Canucks is that they are fairly balanced throughout the roster. Maybe Tortorella experiments a bit with it- I dont know? I'd like to see some new things at least given a chance and it might inject some new energy into the Canucks game.

Edited by Kola Nuts, 23 August 2013 - 06:59 PM.

G4fSut.gif

#30 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

This is how I see the top 9 starting out:

Daniel/Henrik/Kassian
Burrows/Schroeder/Booth
Higgins/Kesler/Hansen
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.