The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman Say Richmond McDonalds Discriminated Against Her By Refusing Her Service Because of Language

DonLever

WOW. The issue isn't the language, its about one idiot manager who doesn't understand proper business etiquette. You don't tell someone to leave the store if they aren't doing anything wrong. How hard is it to understand hot chocolate? Simply point to the machine. I've had to deal with customers where I didn't understand a word they said, but I didn't tell them to leave. I simply listened harder and tried to see what they wanted. Regardless of how busy they are, they have a right to eat food, and languages are hard to learn.

I blame the Canadian government for this. Suppose to be It is mandatory for immigrants to pass an English test before you get a visa (among other requirements). The problem is why do these Chinese non-English speakers get through? One word: Money.

I really hate people that think that companies in a country that is primarily english-speaking should hire a Mandarin speaking (Or insert other language here) worker to please them.

If I were to go to lets say, Italy, I would expect myself to learn some Italian, I would not expect others to know English. People need to take initiative and learn English.

I work retail and im sorry, but after attempting to help customers the best you can when they can barely speak english, I get frustrated and angry and just dont care anymore, especially if its busy and there are customers who are waiting, its too bad, but thats the way it is, I can see why McDonalds did this.

If you're too stubborn to learn atleast a little bit of English, then this is what you deserve

learn the language and speak properly and you wont run into this problem.

My parents immigrated here and learned the language and speak it well. It's not hard if you dont simply still live like you do in your mother land.

Yes but if i go to Italy and do my best to speak their language, I would expect them to try to be accomadating and make an effort to understand

and it seems they did so...in giving her a drink (mocha) but, inadvertently, getting it wrong. It was after that that things deteriorated.

The family of a Richmond woman who claims she was refused service because of her poor English will get a chance to make her case Monday.

After Hai Xia Sun said she was refused service when her beverage order was fouled up, senior McDonald’s officials promised a meeting at the location in question, near the corner of No. 3 Road and Granville in Richmond.

The Aug. 15 incident has drawn a wide variety of responses, and Sun’s son Frank Zhao tried to answer some of those in a press statement.

“We would like to reiterate that we are NOT ASKING any type of economic compensation and resignation of the manager who insulted my mom,” said Zhao. “We are still asking for two things: an apology to my mother, and an apology to all Canadians who don’t speak English as their first language.”

McDonald’s senior management quickly distanced themselves from the alleged fracas in an official statement.

“There was an isolated incident involving a simple miscommunication over a customer’s beverage order,” read the statement from Jeanette Jones, McDonald’s Canada’s director of national communications.

“What is alleged to have taken place is not consistent with the franchisee’s commitment to quality customer service and to reflecting the cultural mosaic of the restaurant’s local community.”

Richmond is home to many recent arrivals from Asia, and recent census data shows the majority of its residents can now be described as visible minorities

Archived