The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What players would you want the Canucks to offer a tryout contract?

It's a process

Quite a few names already covered that I'd have interest in (if not signed before camp), including Mueller, Boyes, and Hainsey.

All of them have been talked about pretty extensively here and in other threads.

Most are more likely to get offered contracts rather than PTOs (tryouts have the potential to be insulting to certain players, depending on where they're at in their careers)

Here are a few other possibilities that might not be "sexy" picks but I could potentially see getting invites (if not signed in the remaining weeks before the training camps open). Admittedly, at least a few of them fall into the category I mentioned above and aren't likely to get (or accept) a PTO.

*This is a rather long post so I'm putting these inside spoiler tags so this post doesn't take-up half the thread page.

1) Local guys who might not be signed by camp:

Greg Zanon (born in Burnaby, BC)

Assets: Mainly a defense-first blueliner in the NHL, he is a tremendous shot-blocker. Uses a low center of gravity effectively to defend in his own zone, where he plays it safe thanks to sound positioning and hard work.

Flaws: Isn't much of a big physical presence and also doesn't stand out in the offensive zone, so he isn't usually on the power play. Is also often banged up because he puts the team first and winds up with plenty of bumps and bruises.

Career Potential: Hard-working veteran shutdown defenseman.

http://forecaster.th...player.php?2902

Zanon was a pretty unpopular player in Denver and the news of his buyout was almost universally celebrated by Avs fans. There's very little redeeming about his 2012-13 numbers (conventional or advanced stats) and he definitely wasn't worth the $2.25 million AAV he was getting paid. However, at something under $1 million (probably near the minimum), he might still be a serviceable depth defenseman. Historically, he's been a player who works hard, plays a pretty safe game, and then there's the shot blocking factor (which should earn him some points with Torts).

Chuck Kobasew (born in Vancouver, BC)

Assets: Has a great work ethic and solid instincts. Possesses some offensive acumen as well as all-round ability. Can play either wing position. Is fairly versatile.

Flaws: Injuries have slowed his progress at the National Hockey League level. Also Lacks ideal NHL size for the wing position. Lacks consistency in his game.

Career Potential: Versatile winger, when healthy.

http://forecaster.th...player.php?2470

By all accounts, Kobasew played well for the Avs last season. He made the transition to a 4th line role very well and without a hint of complaint, while displaying the strong work ethic and versatility that he's been known for throughout his career. If he's not under contract by the time camp rolls around, he'd be a good option to compete for a bottom-six role. RH shot, plays either wing, has three 20-goal seasons under his belt for his career (last in 2008-09) so he has some hands (even still), and he brings the versatility to play a variety of roles up-and-down in the lineup.

Ryan O'Byrne (born in Victoria, BC)

Assets: Has the size teams lust after at the NHL level. Is the consummate team player who also drops the gloves when needed to defend his mates. Can play a shutdown role, if required.

Flaws: Is extremely limited in the offensive zone and makes mistakes with the puck in his own end. His mobility and coordination could use more work, too. Lacks consistency.

Career Potential: Big, solid depth defenseman.

http://forecaster.th...player.php?3434

Nearly all his value comes from the size, physicality, and toughness he provides (something the Canucks back end is currently lacking in general and pretty much relying on their top-four to provide--which is a problem as you don't want to force extra penalty minutes on your best defenders). O'Byrne helps provide something of a solution to that problem (if he can play well enough to get into the lineup).

However, he has virtually no offensive game to speak of and (IMHO) he isn't really all that great of a defender either (at least he's not very steady or "low event"). He's probably a just good enough player to provide some depth as a spare defensive defenseman. Could draw into the lineup against tougher/bigger opponents and for some of the more chippy games against rivals (and for injury relief, of course).

Herbie Kabolochuk. No hockey experience but at 265 pounds he is big enough to block out over half the net. Fits in with Tort's shot blocking theory and reduces the amount of net Lu has to protect. Herbie can be reached at the High Arrow Arms Hotel in Castlegar. Rumour has it that Krutov was his uncle on his mother's side. The weight issue is not supposed to be genetic but a result of hotdogs and vodka.

meh

steckel...maybew Morrow to see how healthy and fast/slow he is after his knee cap healed.Maybe reasoner ..unless he has slipped too much in speed etc...

overall I am not too intrested in PTO's due to the fact...i would like our new system(ie new coach) be set early and chemistry installed.......

and most importantly we are going to need two new guys to make the squad...to realistically have a good shot of going all the way in the playoffs

these young guys dont have to carry a big load but need to chip in and balance the solid vets we have.

so i would like o see those rookies slotted in with the vets early(preseason) to gain chemistry and get off to a quick start...(4 of 5 games to start the season are in our division/confrence)

Would love to see Morrison get another shot. He played great during his last tryout, but of course MG decided to sign Schaefer over him :picard:

His best days are behind him, but he could play a good veteran depth role. Playing back in Vancouver could re-ignite his fire. Plus, Torts could possibly make him play with more intensity.

We've got nothing to lose by giving him a tryout.

I don't know if we can offer any more forwards any contracts... Isn't our top 9 pretty filled out?

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Booth-Kes-Kass

Higgins-_____-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Garrison-Hamhuis

Edler-Bieksa

Tanev-Alberts/Corrado/Weber

The 4th could be fixed up and there might be a roster spot in between Higgins and Hansen, but unless we somehow deal Booth our lines are pretty full.

:edit: and I doubt that any of those guys you listed would take a 2 way deal. Maybe a few of them.

But I would like to see White, Woywitka, Zanon, Hamrlik or O'Byrne and on forward Steckel, Smithson or Hejduk.

Morrow / Boyes / Mueller / Prospal would be a good signing, but they aren't really PTO players.

Latendresse maybe? Again he could probably get an offer for 1+ million.

Gagne, Kobasew, Dvorak, Gill maybe? I dunno, i'd rather give Jensen / Sesito / Weber a shot over any of these guys.

Aliu was signed to his first professional contract by Chicago in 2008, he went to Atlanta (which moved to Winnipeg), He became Calgary Flames property when Winnipeg traded his rights to Calgary for John Negrin, who signed him for a one year deal 2012-2013 and thus he now becomes a free agent, since evidently Calgary doesn't want to take a chance on him again (or they would have signed him).

His career is a yo-yo so far. He's been up to the big club and down to the minors so often he's getting whiplash. Maybe Torts might be able to do something, but he's a far cry from the 2007 Chicago draft pick.

Aliu was signed to his first professional contract by Chicago in 2008, he went to Atlanta (which moved to Winnipeg), He became Calgary Flames property when Winnipeg traded his rights to Calgary for John Negrin, who signed him for a one year deal 2012-2013 and thus he now becomes a free agent, since evidently Calgary doesn't want to take a chance on him again (or they would have signed him).

His career is a yo-yo so far. He's been up to the big club and down to the minors so often he's getting whiplash. Maybe Torts might be able to do something, but he's a far cry from the 2007 Chicago draft pick.

I believe every team need some wily vet.

Roman Hamrlik, Brendan Morrow and Mike Knuble would be on my wish-list.

Hamrlik still have offensive instincts even if he can't be as productive, he could be a calming factor for Edler.

Morrow.... leadership, can be on the PK and PP. Gritty player, something the Canucks can always need more of.

Knuble.... getting slower, but for a bottom-6 and used on the PP instead of Kesler (less wear/tear and better used to centre the 2nd PP), he may still be productive. A proven winner.

Archived