The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gallagher: Time for Luongo to cut the diva routine

canuckbeliever

This is bound to stir up some discussion

While it’s almost certainly likely the Canucks are going to have more trouble scoring goals than preventing them this season — even if Roberto Luongo’s head is not in Vancouver for the short term — the lightning-rod goaltender remains the topic of conversation as the summer months close.

Having created a firestorm by not facing reality sooner than later — preferably on draft day when Cory Schneider was traded — Luongo has assured the media gong show which has been unfolding this past week on TSN and in Calgary will continue with another performance when he finally condescends to make an appearance here on behalf of the team which agreed to pay him $64 million some years ago.

There are those who would paint Luongo as the man who has been so dreadfully put upon while earning this meagre sum, but let’s try to review the facts here while grasping for perhaps a slightly differing emphasis on historical proceedings.

Having pledged their loyalty to the goaltender with their hearts, captaincy and money, the team found that he didn’t work out as well as they’d hoped as captain. Then, after taking the team to the final of the Stanley Cup with many terrifying ups and downs along the way, his performances in Boston were not what anyone would have liked.

And despite some tremendous play mixed in, he was largely viewed less well by the fan base than when the deal was signed both then and now. Along the way, Cory Schneider appeared and eventually everyone, including those writing the cheques, perceived him to be a better goaltender until he stubbed his toe a little, pulling the chute in the first two games of the most recent playoff disaster this May.

Deciding the two both needed to be starters at some stage in this opera, the Canucks tried to trade Luongo. They misapprehended the market on a number of occasions, but each time it was because they thought more highly of Luongo than did the rest of the league, so much so that they never approached him with a specific request to waive his deal until the most recent trade deadline.

The problem wasn’t disrespect, it was too much respect. Everything fell through because they thought Luongo was worth more than they were being asked to take back by anyone, including the Leafs who asked at the last-minute for Vancouver to pick up some of his contract at the trading deadline attempt.

And, in fact, there is evidence to suggest Toronto was just messing with Vancouver, trying to make life difficult for them rather than expressing a real willingness to trade for Luongo.

To summarize, after earning and signing a deal which would pay him a monstrous amount of money — certainly more than any other team was willing to assume — Luongo played well, but not so well that a friend and rival didn’t come along and seemingly play better behind the same team. Attempts to move him were thwarted because the team showed him too much respect at first, then when the CBA landscape changes fully hit, couldn’t move him at all. So they traded the guy they could move and somehow this completely surprised Luongo?

Further, despite the fact it gives him a better chance at winning longer term by introducing some new blood up front, he was stony silent all summer despite the fact the team dispatched the owner himself to hold his hand in Florida. Then the GM and his assistant made a pilgrimage to his Florida shrine to genuflect and beg forgiveness for their sins, yet still there was silence.

There are those who would argue that Luongo is the totally blameless, aggrieved party in this whole sorry mess. And reading into his long period of silence, maybe Luongo was buying into that type of thinking as well, and in his heart of hearts, perhaps he still is.

But enough. Cut the melodrama already.

Yes, he mentally had checked out at the end of the season, and was expecting a trade, and that didn’t happen, and we understand that.

Fair enough, it was tough and very unusual. But couldn’t he have rolled with the punches a little better? Couldn’t he imagine he’d been traded — to Vancouver? After all, with Alain the goaltender roaster gone, there will be a whole new direction to this team, and some new, young faces.

To his credit, even Luongo might finally be realizing that no matter how badly he might be feeling, this diva routine is getting a little embarrassing. As badly as the Canucks management misplayed this affair — and let’s be clear, they wholly miscalculated the goalie market — his response since June has not been as professional as his worshippers would have you believe.

Let’s hope for the sake of all concerned that his previously long-admired professionalism has finally returned, marked with his own words when he said: “I just want to play hockey.”

For some reason I have more respect for Gallagher's straight-up calling out Lou than Botchford's underhanded insinuations... and you know some fans feel this way about Lou even though for me it's not an issue.

Edit: I can't believe I wrote that... :sadno: must be building up an immunity to Tony G's poison. Hopefully Lou is as well!!!

Maybe Gallagher, just maybe he's not a diva as you say....

Maybe just maybe the local media is painting him in the same light as the Toronto media with their constant attacks insinuations and blatant hack job edited interviews.

Maybe over the last two seasons of rough treatment from media coach management and fans Luongo has had enough?

He's paid to play, he wants to play. End of story. He's handled himself with solid poise and professionalism.

The media on the other hand not so much. Maybe learn from him instead of regurgitating the same constant garbage without genuine facts

1. I'm not Russiancanucksfan. That guy is a complete idiot.

2. It was more of an insinuation of CDC's constant b!tching about Luongo than Luongo himself.

The guy has been this city's punching bag for the last five years. No surprise he's still a little bitter.

I agree with the sentiments in this article, for the most part. Although in Luongo's defence, another reason he may have preferred to remain silent after the trade was out of respect for Schneider. This is not often mentioned, from what I've seen. It was his friend and teammate that was traded after all, and likely into a situation no better than the one he was traded from, with Brodeur still being there for at least another year. However, that still only explains his actions immediately after the trade. By waiting so long to speak with the media and fans, he really did create a vacuum.

So let me summarize: "Luo had to talk, but didn't on my timetable therefore he was obviously creating drama. And I know this because I wouldn't be writing about this right now otherwise. Instead I'd be writing something positive about the team, like highlighting young players coming to camp for the first time or older players poised for a bounce back season. You know, my normal beat. ... Hey look everyone, I almost said that with a straight face!"

As usual, Gallagher can go attempt some very adult yoga moves.

The crypt keeper dishes some deep irony.

He was the torch bearer and self-appointed spokesperson for Hodgson in the ice-time 'controversy', expressing how shocked he was that no trade was demanded long before the one that transpired, a saga that Gallagher dramatized like no other, a story of mistreatment and victimization unprecedented in Canucks history.

And here he is, complaining about melodrama.

Only Tony could provide such delicious ironing.

Archived