The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gallagher: Time for Luongo to cut the diva routine

canuckbeliever

I realize those folks who are steadfast defenders of all things Luongo does won't like this, but it's fairly relevent imo.

The one thing I've found an interesting exclusion from the TSN Duthie interview is a fairly obvious question, that for some reason didn't make the cut.

Duthie asked, of course, if Luongo had blocked any trades, obviously a matter of interest to their viewers in Toronto, but an equally obvious question that he didn't ask - "Did you request a trade?"

In other words, were you demoted, or did you ask for a divorce before that transpired?

Perhaps a dense ovesight on the part of Duthie, perhaps a condition of the interview that it not be delved into... Toronto may only really be interested in whether trades were blocked, and not care much whether one was requested and when, but in Vancouver, perhaps it's as important an issue.

They did address the apparently erroneous claims made by the Province, that Luongo had vetoed deals (and perhaps that is a factor in the Province's continued bitterness towards the goaltender they apparently prejudged without a credible source...)

Regarding the trade request issue, however, was 'mum' the word? I realize that Gilman has acknowledged that Luongo requested a trade after the 2011/12 season, but interestingly that wasn't addressed by Luo in the Duthie interview. The timeline of that request, if Gilman can be considered a valid source [Gilman has stated that "He requested a trade after the 2012 season"] still appears to be an unknown. It's rumoured that it came in May of 2012, which would have come a short time after the playoff loss to LA. It's true that Vigneault had gone to Schneider the last two games of that series, but at that point the starting role had not been given to Schneider and the Canucks were publicly stating that it would remain a competition. Schneider hadn't even re-signed [he was an RFA at the time] until the end of June, a few days before free agency, taking the offersheet option out of play. If it's true that Luo did request a trade in May, the way the subsequent events unfolded are certainly very understandable from a management perspective - and the story of being mistreated, a little harder to qualify.

Imo it's actually a particularly relevent matter - the timing.

I sort of agree with Gallagher, Management didn't give him for peanuts, Even Luongo said it in his presser "that it sucks that noone will trade for me" (something along those lines), Most of us fans and MG always thought of him as a high quality player, other teams didn't which is why He still is here today.

I realize those folks who are steadfast defenders of all things Luongo does won't like this, but it's fairly relevent imo.

The one thing I've found an interesting exclusion from the interview is a fairly obvious question that didn't make the cut.

Duthie asked, of course, if Luongo had blocked any trades, obviously a matter of interest to their viewers in Toronto, but an equally obvious question that he didn't ask - "Did you request a trade?" Perhaps a dense ovesight on the part of Duthie, perhaps a condition of the interview that it not be delved into...

They did address the apparently erroneous claims made by the Province, that Luongo had vetoed deals (and perhaps that is a factor in the Province's continued bitterness towards the goaltender they apparently prejudged without a credible source...)

Regarding the trade request issue, I realize that Gilman has acknowledged that Luongo requested a trade after the 2011/12 season, but interestingly that wasn't addressed by Luo in the Duthie interview. The timeline of that request, if Gilman can be considered a valid source [Gilman has stated that "He requested a trade after the 2012 season"] still appears to be an unknown. It's rumoured that it came in May of 2012, which would have come a short time after the playoff loss to LA. It's true that Vigneault had gone to Schneider the last two games of that series, but at that point the starting role had not been given to Schneider and the Canucks were publicly stating that it would remain a competition. Schneider hadn't even re-signed [he was an RFA at the time] until the end of June, a few days before free agency, and taking the offersheet option out of play. If it's true that Luo did request a trade in May, the way the subsequent events unfolded are certainly very understandable from a management perspective - and the story of being mistreated, a little harder to qualify.

Imo it's actually a particularly relevent matter - the timing.

Considering the market and the nitpicking bs from TO... Honestly, I can't really picture any other goaltender handling this 'drama' any better than Luongo has. Except maybe Schneider. Both of them have been quite professional, and Luongo yukking it up on twitter is an NHL singularity among star players. Only a grumpy old coot and your collection of wetbag naysayers could have a problem with how Luongo 'handled' this situation.

The situation itself? Cry about that, sure. But how he and Schneider handled it? Mike Babcock seems to think it was fantastic. So that's enough, perhaps? Or how long should we cry into our pre-bedtime branflakes about it, Tony?

While Gallagher is far from my favourite, I do think Lu is not taking the heat he should for his involvement in forcing the Canucks' hand at often the worst time. He was not professional when he said his contract sucks, he wasn't professional when he insinuated his time was up here. The answer is always "That's not for me to say" or "That's up to management". Lu had a big mouth far too often and weakened his own stock multiple times. If you keep crapting on your management and your situation publicly, you are only communicating to 29 other GMs that freeing you from your situation would be doing you and the team a favour. He couldn't have hurt the process more if he had started stepping out of the way of pucks.

The latest Duthie interview where he said he was shocked that he wasn't consulted about a trade is more proof he needs to get over his entitlement. You were only consulted previously when it related to your NTC Lu, not because you have anything to do with asset management of the franchise. When you're not the one being traded, and Schneids has no NTC, you find out about things when everyone else does. It's that simple.

While Gallagher is far from my favourite, I do think Lu is not taking the heat he should for his involvement in forcing the Canucks' hand at often the worst time. He was not professional when he said his contract sucks, he wasn't professional when he insinuated his time was up here. The answer is always "That's not for me to say" or "That's up to management". Lu had a big mouth far too often and weakened his own stock multiple times. If you keep crapting on your management and your situation publicly, you are only communicating to 29 other GMs that freeing you from your situation would be doing you and the team a favour. He couldn't have hurt the process more if he had started stepping out of the way of pucks.

The latest Duthie interview where he said he was shocked that he wasn't consulted about a trade is more proof he needs to get over his entitlement. You were only consulted previously when it related to your NTC Lu, not because you have anything to do with asset management of the franchise. When you're not the one being traded, and Schneids has no NTC, you find out about things when everyone else does. It's that simple.

For some reason I have more respect for Gallagher's straight-up calling out Lou than Botchford's underhanded insinuations... and you know some fans feel this way about Lou even though for me it's not an issue.

Edit: I can't believe I wrote that... :sadno: must be building up an immunity to Tony G's poison. Hopefully Lou is as well!!!

I'd have given the article some merit if it was written by someone other than Gallagher. The guy is a whiner. Just nitpicks about the Canucks all day long.

Listen, the truth is, yes Luongo has acted like a diva here. Part of that might be our doing. As a fanbase we made him feel like he was god and that the team couldn't survive without him. It got to his head. Then along came Cory Schneider, and we all realized that Luongo was not as amazing as we made him out to be.

But, in my opinion, he has been put through the wringer the past few seasons. Part of that might be his own fault. He clearly didn't realize how bad his contract is. He clearly overestimated his value around the league. So now he's back playing for the only team that'll have him. Even that might be a stretch. We're stuck with him. If we were to do an anonymous poll of the Canucks players and management, I'm willing to bet >80% would say that they prefer CS to RL. But we have RL under contract and that's the way the business of hockey goes.

Time to stop making this team about Luongo. He's one member of a larger team. And just because he wears different gear than the rest of them, doesn't mean he's any more or less important that the rest of them.

He has changed his attitude. Time for us to change ours. It's not about Roberto anymore. It's about the team.

Time to become part of the cohesive unit and work together.

Gillis could have ended the soap opera if he made the deal.He could not and did not.

Remember the Canucks virtually giving away a versatile Matt Cooke for a much less useful Matt Pettinger?

Pettinger scored one goal for the Nucks and then exited the NHL.Cook scored 70 goals,100 assists and just signed a three year deal.

Gillis wanted to dump Luongo's contract and could not manage the task that he created.

Archived