The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gallagher: Time for Luongo to cut the diva routine

canuckbeliever

Can't imagine how Luongo could have handled this more professionally over the last 2 years. I've never seen a situation bungled so completely before. MG really left both of his goaltenders out to dry and I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of NHL'ers, if they had been put through the same circus as Lu (or Schneids for that matter), would have publicly ripped Gillis and the Canucks brass a new one a long long time ago. Luongo has every right in the world to be pissed off and I don't blame him for it. That being said, he'll still show up for training camp and he'll still give us 100% because that's the type of guy he's always been.

Gallagher is just plain bad. It's embarrassing to watch him try and talk live and that Shawn Thornton interview really exposes his total lack of credibility. I mean, the guy just blurts out the craziest crap without even thinking about what he's saying. Every time I watch him live, I just wait to see if he will eventually shake out of his chair ... he always looks like he's got a gnarly case of DT's lol

Oh ... Wouldn't it be nice if he changed his profile picture to something that was taken in the last decade at least? Know one would know who he was unless his name was captioned ... Crypt Keeper is an excellent description.

But, in my opinion, he has been put through the wringer the past few seasons. Part of that might be his own fault. He clearly didn't realize how bad his contract is. He clearly overestimated his value around the league. So now he's back playing for the only team that'll have him. Even that might be a stretch. We're stuck with him. If we were to do an anonymous poll of the Canucks players and management, I'm willing to bet >80% would say that they prefer CS to RL. But we have RL under contract and that's the way the business of hockey goes.

Before this whole situation, Luongo's persona kinda bugged me. He seemed like a 'Me First' guy Since then, I've become a fan.

I don't see why he should have been obligated to talk since the trade, especially seing as it was is offseason. However, I did find it a bit Divaish to question why he was not consulted prior to the trade.

I think Tony G. is on to something, although my take is a bit different. Luongo has been sincere. He is not trying to manipulate anyone. But he is an emotional guy who has trouble seeing the big picture. And he is a diva. I am not blaming him. That is just the way he is. And it makes me nervous because the emotional ups and downs cause ups and downs in play as well.

I would rather have guys who have an even keel (like Schneider, Hamhuis, the Sedins, etc.)

But let's hope Luongo comes around and has a good year. And let's hope he realizes how lucky he is. How many people get to play hockey for a living and make over 6 million a year -- and be in a great city like Vancouver where, unlike Florida, people actually care about the team.

It looks like the Gillis propaganda ministry is out in full force (First Botch, now Gallagher, I’m sure Kuzma or Pratt will be next). Tony will stop at nothing to praise Gillis and the Canucks even when it’s clear to everyone that the Canuck’s organization has botched the Luongo situation from day one.

In past years the propaganda team would spew ad nauseam about how Gillis has created a player friendly environment, designed to get the most out of players. Now that Gillis has created the worst environment for a player in the league, probably the worst since the Lindros Philly era, the ministry is trashing the player. You can tell other players around league have noticed what this organization and media are doing to Luongo and it’s not good for the future of this organization.

I have stopped reading Gallaghers articles except through quotes on here as I don't want his bosses to have any more reason to keep him around.

I started #boycottgallagher on twitter, but it did not catch on, maybe because I only have 5 friends? Who knows...

I also tweet Team1040 every time he is on the air and threaten to stop listening if they keep doing it.

Tony's job depends on these things, so if you really hate him, do what I do and #boycottgallagher

I would love a few reporters in town to say some positive stuff about the canucks, because that is what I want to read about, negative canucks news depresses me.

So let me summarize: "Luo had to talk, but didn't on my timetable therefore he was obviously creating drama. And I know this because I wouldn't be writing about this right now otherwise. Instead I'd be writing something positive about the team, like highlighting young players coming to camp for the first time or older players poised for a bounce back season. You know, my normal beat. ... Hey look everyone, I almost said that with a straight face!"

As usual, Gallagher can go attempt some very adult yoga moves.

Archived