The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Mattias Ohlund Considering Retirement

DeltaSwede

From Swedish newspaper Sportbladet:

After 908 NHL games:

Now recognizes Olympic gold hero from 2006 that his career is coming to an end.

- Mentally, I feel that there will be no more, says Mattias Ohlund, 36, to kuriren.nu.

Ohlund has not played a single match in over two years.

A knee injury has stopped him.

However, he is constantly aiming for a comeback in the NHL, where he played eleven seasons for Vancouver and the last five years, belonged to Tampa Bay.

"I have to be realistic"

Now however recognize the veteran that career is probably over.

- In a perfect world, I had played hockey for a few years. But I still turn 37 years in a few weeks, says Mattias Ohlund to kuriren.nu.

- I've had a pretty long career and I'm happy with. I do not feel at all bad mentally in any way. But I have not played in over two years. I have to be realistic and realize that the conditions to play again become smaller and smaller, he continues.

Ohlund has done four Olympics for Tre Kronor, 2006 in Turin, it was gold, and he has done over 900 games in the NHL.

The last two seasons have been devoted to rehabilitation.

- Even if my knees would be fine when I wake up in the morning so the prospects of getting back are very little. To come back when you are my age is not the easiest thing, he says.

Would be such a shame if he has to retire. I know the chances are slim, but it would be great to see him play again.

I still wish we kept him though. I never agreed with MG's decision to let him walk.

Matty had major both knees scoped in 2011. One knee didn't heal properly (bone rubbing on bone was too painful) and he ended up having reconstructuve knee surgery in 2012 to have his cartilage completely replaced with titanium joint in that knee. He has worked hard to rehab it, but he'll be lucky to just walk pain-free, let alone play pro hockey again.

Like Pronger, he is likely to stay on LTIR until his Tampa Bay contract expires rather getting a compliance buyout -- see http://www.rawcharge.com/2013/5/28/4373092/2013-nhl-compliance-buyout-mattias-ohlund-ltir.

Archived