57 replies to this topic

#31 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

All years of existing SPCs with terms in excess of five (5) years will be accounted for and charged against a team's Cap (at full AAV) regardless of whether or where the Player is playing. In the event any such contract is traded during its term, the related Cap charge will travel with the Player, but only for the year(s) in which the Player remains active and is being paid under his NHL SPC. If, at some subsequent point in time the Player retires or ceases to play and/or receive pay under his NHL SPC, the Cap charge will automatically revert (at full AAV) to the Club that initially entered into the contract for the balance of its term.

edit: Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong?

No idea where you're taking that from, but it would only be true in the context of 35+ contracts. Since Ohlund was only 32/33 when he signed/played the first year of his deal, it isn't a 35+ contract and when he retires his cap hit no longer applies.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

No idea where you're taking that from, but it would only be true in the context of 35+ contracts. Since Ohlund was only 32/33 when he signed/played the first year of his deal, it isn't a 35+ contract and when he retires his cap hit no longer applies.

Per the CBA reached in January 2013, teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts (defined as seven years or more) will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year. Please note, contracts that fall under the "over-35" rule do not qualify for cap benefit recapture, the NHL has confirmed. In these cases, the team is charged with the player's full cap hit. CapGeek's recapture calculator helps determine whether a team is on the hook for a recapture penalty and if it is, how much:

IIf Mattias Ohlund retires or defects in the 2014 off-season (age 37 as of July 1 that year) and is not traded before doing so, following is an estimated breakdown of the recapture penalties for the involved teams.

Penalty
Tampa Bay Lightning (2014-15 through 2015-16) $2,107,143

Here is the link
http://www.capgeek.c...ure-calculator/

Edited by Aladeen, 28 August 2013 - 01:01 PM.

Posted Image

#33 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Yup, this year and two more.

Well, 4 really. This would be his 5th year.

This is one of those deals where you look back in hindsight and realize it was the right move. IIRC, Ohlund wanted term and value which we weren't going too give him. He got that in Tampa (7 years, $3.61M per) but has only played parts of two seasons in the 4 years he's been there.

It's the same idea as Salo, who wanted more security but as a 35+ contract we wanted to do a year at a time. He got more money in Tampa than he ever had here and we'll have to see how he holds up in the second year of his deal (and a full season).

Except MG eventually (year after) went out and spent assets and higher cap for Ballard who was unused by AV. Ohlund was a beast for Tampa Bay during the playoffs. If the Canucks still had him in the lineup for the SCF....

#34 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Except MG eventually (year after) went out and spent assets and higher cap for Ballard who was unused by AV. Ohlund was a beast for Tampa Bay during the playoffs. If the Canucks still had him in the lineup for the SCF....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Wcqu0NbRk

Yup I agree about the part that if the Canucks had him in 2011

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Erhoff
Salo/Ohlund

If that was the dcore and they were healthy Canucks in 5! If it was Ohlund who hit Horton instead of Rome, Horton would probably just be hoping to get back to playing this season.

But really we could have said that about Mitchell too... the cap space just wasn't available and the Term they were seeking was just too risky.
Posted Image

#35 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ohlund is a beauty.
One of my favorite all time Canuck blueliners.

Amen brother..... Definately one of my faves. I pushed to name my son after him. A true class person. He gave his all and owes nothing. Hope all his tee-offs are long and straight and enjoy life

#36 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

If the opportunity came and Ohlund is healthy enough I would love it if Gillis brought him back to play sheltered minutes. I really want to see Mattias retire a Canuck.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#37 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Per the CBA reached in January 2013, teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts (defined as seven years or more) will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year. Please note, contracts that fall under the "over-35" rule do not qualify for cap benefit recapture, the NHL has confirmed. In these cases, the team is charged with the player's full cap hit. CapGeek's recapture calculator helps determine whether a team is on the hook for a recapture penalty and if it is, how much:

IIf Mattias Ohlund retires or defects in the 2014 off-season (age 37 as of July 1 that year) and is not traded before doing so, following is an estimated breakdown of the recapture penalties for the involved teams.

Penalty
Tampa Bay Lightning (2014-15 through 2015-16) $2,107,143

Here is the link
http://www.capgeek.c...ure-calculator/

That's cap recapture, I'm talking about as a 35+ contract where his cap hit doesn't stick around like Pronger's does if he retires. Bad wording on my first reply to say "no penalty", when there can still be a cap recapture penalty at a lesser amount than what the full cap hit would be.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,866 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Looking back, it was a very solid decision by MG to let him walk.
Posted Image

#39 Absent Canuck

Absent Canuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

I hope the very best for Mattias and his family.
Credit to Vintage Canuck for all the hard work he does around here.

#40 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

May retire mentally; but he would be doing Tampa a serious favour letting them off the hook for the balance of $'s on the contract by completely pulling the pin...

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 28 August 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#41 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yup I agree about the part that if the Canucks had him in 2011

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Erhoff
Salo/Ohlund

If that was the dcore and they were healthy Canucks in 5! If it was Ohlund who hit Horton instead of Rome, Horton would probably just be hoping to get back to playing this season.

But really we could have said that about Mitchell too... the cap space just wasn't available and the Term they were seeking was just too risky.

Ohlund would've had the book thrown at him and the HNIC panel wouldve villified him, starting with career back-up jack piece of crap Healey

#42 It's a process

It's a process

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Best Canucks defenseman ever.

#43 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

He shored up the d-core on a lot of weak teams. I wish he had been able to finish his career in Van but his speed had already left him. T Bay paid him a lot of money. He never got that CUP chance with them. If he had avoided the eye injury he might have up his game another notch as well.

Dale Tallon was a pretty decent dman as well. He had less talent to play with than Ohlund.

#44 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,502 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Sign Ohlund to a retirement contract. Retire in Vancouver!

Tampa already did that.

I'm happy that Matthias got the long-term money, rather than messing around with short deals to stay in Vancouver like Salo had to. He'd be SOL if he wasn't under contract.
Posted Image

#45 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,574 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

Debatable.

But he was my favourite Canucks defenseman during his time with Vancouver.
Posted Image

#46 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

If he can recover from his injury a PTO would be good.

But thats an 'if' :(

well if his knees can hold up i dont see why a club won't pick him up. i'd say he has 1 or 2 years left. maybe a good bottom pairing, veteran presence to a young team. was always my favourite canuck back in the day

Sign Ohlund to a retirement contract. Retire in Vancouver!

http://www.capgeek.com/player/668
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#47 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

my all time favorite canuck.

Edited by infinitecarnage, 29 August 2013 - 02:38 AM.

Posted Image

#48 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

Ohlund was one of the all-time greats on D for the Canucks, he could throw out hits like the best of them!!!

#49 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

Ohlund's up there but Paul Reinhart was the closest thing to Ray Bourque to ever suit up for the Canucks, absolutely phenomenal player. If his back didn't give out he could have had a shot at the Hall of Fame.
Posted Image

#50 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Would have loved Ohlund tutoring Edler for the past 3 seasons. Ohlund and Jovo could really lay them out.

#51 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Would have loved Ohlund tutoring Edler for the past 3 seasons. Ohlund and Jovo could really lay them out.

I felt the same way when Lumme left, he really helped Ohlund's development, I wish he stuck around for a couple more years.
Posted Image

#52 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Whoa... He's been in Tampa for 5 years already ???

Time flies.

My initial thought as well. Öhlund and Mogilny have always been my favorite Canucks. I was devastated when he left... Feels like it was yesterday... 5 years, jeez...
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#53 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

One day contract and Ring of Honour!!!
Posted Image

#54 selkirkcraig

selkirkcraig

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

He was a real stalwart guy, who delivered exactly what we hoped for when we drafted him. He's one of those guys that will always be a canuck, regardless of the jersey he wears.

#55 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:54 AM

good luck bud

#56 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Werd up

#57 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Not sure why you think that, he's currently 36, and coming into the 5th year of his contract so it's not a 35+ deal. He can retire and the cap hit drops off with no penalty for Tampa.

They had discussions but Ohlund wanted term and a decent cap hit as I mentioned. I don't think he expected us to give him 7 years, but certainly 3 or 4.

http://forum.canucks...aves-vancouver/

Actually, he'd have a cap recapture penalty as it applies to any contracts in excess of 6 years in length.

If Ohlund were to retire right now, TBL would have a cap recapture penalty of $1.357M/year for 3 years. If he retires next year would be $2.107M for 2 years. If he retires in 2015, $2.607M for 1 year.

#58 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

One of the best D to ever play for the canucks. Ill always be a fan of him and Salo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.