The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Mattias Ohlund Considering Retirement

DeltaSwede

Matty O was my favourite player for a long time, but really a 7 year deal at 3.6 million cap hit? no way the Canucks were matching that term. And he would be screwing over the Lightning if he does retire, he should just stay on LTIR a la Pronger.

Hope he can make it back to the NHL. My little brother was on the same baseball team as Ohlund's son so I got to meet him a couple times at games(no pestering just talked with him about baseball). Incredibly nice guy, wish him the best.

Not sure why you think that, he's currently 36, and coming into the 5th year of his contract so it's not a 35+ deal. He can retire and the cap hit drops off with no penalty for Tampa.

They had discussions but Ohlund wanted term and a decent cap hit as I mentioned. I don't think he expected us to give him 7 years, but certainly 3 or 4.

/topic/237475-report-mattias-ohlund-leaves-vancouver/">http://forum.canucks...aves-vancouver/

He was absolutely my favourite player back in the day. He did everything. Everything.

He would have had an even better career as a Canuck if not for the eye injury. He was only ever 90% after that.

Arguably the best overall d-man the Canucks have ever had. I can't think of a better one. Hammer is close but lacks Ohlund's intimidation.

<p>

<br />

He was absolutely my favourite player back in the day. He did everything. Everything. <br />

<br />

He would have had an even better career as a pCanuck if not for the eye injury. He was only ever 90% after that. <br />

Arguably the best overall d-man the Canucks have ever had. I can&#39;t think of a better one. Hammer is close but lacks Ohlund&#39;s intimidation.<br />

All years of existing SPCs with terms in excess of five (5) years will be accounted for and charged against a team's Cap (at full AAV) regardless of whether or where the Player is playing. In the event any such contract is traded during its term, the related Cap charge will travel with the Player, but only for the year(s) in which the Player remains active and is being paid under his NHL SPC. If, at some subsequent point in time the Player retires or ceases to play and/or receive pay under his NHL SPC, the Cap charge will automatically revert (at full AAV) to the Club that initially entered into the contract for the balance of its term.

edit: Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong?

No idea where you're taking that from, but it would only be true in the context of 35+ contracts. Since Ohlund was only 32/33 when he signed/played the first year of his deal, it isn't a 35+ contract and when he retires his cap hit no longer applies.

Yup, this year and two more.

Well, 4 really. This would be his 5th year.

This is one of those deals where you look back in hindsight and realize it was the right move. IIRC, Ohlund wanted term and value which we weren't going too give him. He got that in Tampa (7 years, $3.61M per) but has only played parts of two seasons in the 4 years he's been there.

It's the same idea as Salo, who wanted more security but as a 35+ contract we wanted to do a year at a time. He got more money in Tampa than he ever had here and we'll have to see how he holds up in the second year of his deal (and a full season).

Except MG eventually (year after) went out and spent assets and higher cap for Ballard who was unused by AV. Ohlund was a beast for Tampa Bay during the playoffs. If the Canucks still had him in the lineup for the SCF....

Per the CBA reached in January 2013, teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts (defined as seven years or more) will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year. Please note, contracts that fall under the "over-35" rule do not qualify for cap benefit recapture, the NHL has confirmed. In these cases, the team is charged with the player's full cap hit. CapGeek's recapture calculator helps determine whether a team is on the hook for a recapture penalty and if it is, how much:

IIf Mattias Ohlund retires or defects in the 2014 off-season (age 37 as of July 1 that year) and is not traded before doing so, following is an estimated breakdown of the recapture penalties for the involved teams.

Penalty

Tampa Bay Lightning (2014-15 through 2015-16) $2,107,143

Here is the link

http://www.capgeek.c...ure-calculator/

Archived