Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

‘Disappearing Palestine’ bus ads in Vancouver accused of inciting hatred

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Poll: Yay or Nay (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Your view on the bus ads

1. Voted They should stay up! (30 votes [81.08%])

Percentage of vote: 81.08%

2. Remove them! (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

‘Disappearing Palestine’ bus ads in Vancouver accused of inciting hatred

Jewish groups want ads taken down by TransLink

Jewish groups in Vancouver say they are considering suing the transit authority for accepting controversial political advertisements showing the “disappearance of Palestine due to Israeli occupation over the past 66 years.”

On Tuesday, a group called the Palestine Awareness Coalition announced the launch of 15 bus posters and a large mural in a central Vancouver SkyTrain station, that depict the territory of Palestine steadily shrinking into the state of Israel in a succession of dated maps.

Posted Image

Marty Roth — a 79-year-old member of the coalition group behind the ad campaign — said they have already won a victory over groups that tried to “suppress” the ads.

“This will be controversial with a number of traditional Jewish organizations that have tried to suppress the ads,” Roth claimed. “But TransLink has refused to agree with them, because these are educational ads that are well within national advertising guidelines and the Canadian Charter.”

Roth said as a Canadian Jewish man he believes that the state of Israel is unjustly oppressing the people of Palestine and that his group wants to educate the Canadian public about the conflict.
But Jewish leaders including Mitchell Gropper, chair of the Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver, called the ads a provocative attack on Jewish people that will incite hatred.

“This is of grave concern to our community at large, because the ads make the use of the buses unwelcome and unsafe,” Gropper said, noting that terrorist attacks in Israel often target buses.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen ads on our TransLink system that attack a section of our society. If the transit system will be used to attack Israel and the Jewish people, who is next?”

Gropper, a Vancouver lawyer, said his group went to the “highest levels” of TransLink and argued that the Palestine ads should be rejected, but they were told that TransLink must accept the ads for legal reasons.

The Province sought interviews with TransLink officials but were referred to a prepared statement, which says TransLink sought a “third-party legal opinion” which said the Supreme Court of Canada decided TransLink must run ads such as “Disappearing Palestine” under the Canadian charter.
Gropper said his group has retained a lawyer with a different opinion, and that suing TransLink is one strategy that is being considered in response to the ads.

“TransLink has said the law requires them to publish these ads but that is certainly not the case,” Gropper said.

The Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center in Toronto issued a statement saying the group is “disturbed to learn about TransLink’s agreement to run historically distorted anti-Israel advertisements.”

“While Israel and the Palestinian Authority are currently engaged in peace negotiations to resolve their differences and reach a two-state solution, TransLink will be running ads that are provocative and incite hatred and contempt,” said group president Avi Benlolo.

In 2006 TransLink lost a decision in the B.C. Court of Appeal, after trying to refuse political advertisements from the B.C. Teachers Federation and the Canadian Federation of Students.
TransLink’s policy of rejecting partisan ads and campaigns likely to cause offence or controversy was overturned.

In the decision, Madam Justice Prowse wrote that B.C. Transit and Translink “sought to prohibit political advertising precisely because it was political. Their aim was to prevent the appellants from exercising their right to freedom of political expression, although they were content to entertain commercial expression.”

The ad campaign cost $15,000 and will remain in place for four months.

Posted Image
Marty Roth of the Palestine Awareness Coalition stands in front of a billboard depicting Palestinian land loss at the Vancouver City Centre SkyTrain Station on Tuesday. (Jenelle Schneider/The Province)

The wall mural, which debuted at Vancouver City Centre station on Tuesday, drew curious looks from transit users, with many pulling out smartphones to snap a photo of the ad.

One woman, who declined to give her name, stopped to examine the ad and said while she wasn’t well versed in the issue, she believes the ad should fall under the category of free speech.

Mohammed Hamid, 45, was one of many transit users who stopped to snap a photo on his phone. Hamid is from the Middle East and is familiar with the various aspects of the issue being brought up by the ad.

He doesn’t believe the ad was malicious in anyway, but instead, was glad to see it drawing attention from Vancouverites, and agreed that education was important.

“Especially in Canada where, understandably, a lot of people aren’t familiar with the issue,” he said.

http://o.canada.com/2013/08/28/disappearing-palestine-vancouver-translink/

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

POPULAR

Once again..... not attacking a people..... criticizing a nation.

The ads just state facts, albeit without context, and don't advocate any type of hatred just a disapproval of Israel's foreign policy.

The idea that these ads would make transit less safe for followers of the Hebrew faith is the most inflammatory part of the article.

Edited by theminister, 28 August 2013 - 03:14 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#3 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,059 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

how dare truthful advertising occur!!!! Ever!!!

OXwjSoG.gif

#4 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

The ads just state facts, albeit without context, and don't advocate any type of hatred just a disapproval of Israel's foreign policy.

The idea that these ads would make transit less safe for followers of the Hebrew faith is the most inflammatory part of the article.

Yes.

#5 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

The idea that these ads would make transit less safe for followers of the Hebrew faith are the most inflammatory part of the article.

Cue the calls of Anti-Semitism :sadno:

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#6 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

It seems that anything not catering to the jews is a direct attack on them

#7 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

I agree with the message of the ad but do not agree with where it's being posted. It's easy when many of us have anti Israeli sentiments but how would feel about an issue you disagree with being broadcast in the same place?

Bottom line is that crown corporations that utilize advertisement should not include ads that have a political agenda.

#8 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

They should have thought ahead and bought the space on the other side of the tracks...

#9 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,669 posts

The maps are not accurate.

The British Mandate of Palestine included all of what is now Jordan, Israel, and the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Map #1 labels what is now Israel and the West Bank and Gaza Strip as "Palestine".

The 4 maps compare different things and label them all the same. Map #1 shows Jewish towns in British Mandate Palestine. Map #2 shows the UN partition plan, which never came into being. Map #3 shows the armistance lines following the 1967 war. Map #4 shows current areas under political control of the Palestinian Authority.

I wonder if a pro-Israel group decided to put up ads saying things like "100% of Palestinians are terrorists", they'd see the same support?

#10 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,336 posts

I agree with the message of the ad but do not agree with where it's being posted. It's easy when many of us have anti Israeli sentiments but how would feel about an issue you disagree with being broadcast in the same place?

Bottom line is that crown corporations that utilize advertisement should not include ads that have a political agenda.

How dare people put things out in public I disagree with!

#11 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

I would/do accept that I live in a free society where all are allowed to express their Views

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#12 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

The British Mandate of Palestine included all of what is now Jordan, Israel, and the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Map #1 labels what is now Israel and the West Bank and Gaza Strip as "Palestine".

The 4 maps compare different things and label them all the same. Map #1 shows Jewish towns in British Mandate Palestine. Map #2 shows the UN partition plan, which never came into being. Map #3 shows the armistance lines following the 1967 war. Map #4 shows current areas under political control of the Palestinian Authority.

I wonder if a pro-Israel group decided to put up ads saying things like "100% of Palestinians are terrorists", they'd see the same support?

From me they would for the reasons mentioned in the post above this

Shaun Palmer

Marjane Satrapi

#13 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

How dare people put things out in public I disagree with!

It's not about that.

It's about using publicly funded resources to promote one side on a controversial issue.

From me they would for the reasons mentioned in the post above this

Even though it's a bold faced lie? Expressing views that are false is slander. That's not protected in any way.

#14 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

See that's just assinined.

The fact is that without argument Israel is indeed annexing Palestinian land, and subjecting Palestinians to horrible conditions. Setting up blockades and basically treating them no better than some jewish towns in central europe by the nazi party in the mid 30's where essential items and even food were withheld.

We all know what happened next.

When will people relaize that anti israel is not anti semetic. By most UN admissions even Apartheid era south africans had more freedoms and rights than Israel affords the palestinian people.

The world courts flat out called the continued building, blockading and annexing of Palestinian territories by Israel illegal, Israel laughed and planned 3500 new buildings.

How quickly we forget the sins of the past when we subject our neighbours to the same event we cry over decades later.

Having visited the area I for one understand the diverse and murky politiccs surrounding it, but the truth is the truth. It would be like the US stealing townships from the lower mainland one city per year at a time.

Whiterock, Delta, Langley so on and so forth. All American now because they say so via strength of arms and the abuse of UN powers. And when you fight back....well munitions dropped on your house in the middle of the night.

100% of Palestinians are terrorists....seriously what a foolish statement
CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#15 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

It's not about that.

It's about using publicly funded resources to promote one side on a controversial issue.

Even though it's a bold faced lie? Expressing views that are false is slander. That's not protected in any way.

Then put up your own ads about how bad the other side is. And it's not publicly funded, it's revenue for translink.

Ads lie to me all the time, why should this be any different.

#16 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

As well, at what point in time are the freedoms of others more considered more than others. Case in point religious groups petitioned successfully to have Atheist signs removed from buses in Kelowna.

4 months later religious signage was put up on those same buses, atheist groups petitioned to have them removed and were ignored citing religious freedoms and freedom of speech.

Map 1-4 show the basic tale and nothing else should be argued. The truth is Palestinians are having land stolen from them. Groups and people can argue that all they want, but that arguing is being done while peoples homes are being bulldozed by Israeli building companies backed by the Israeli army

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#17 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

It's not about that.

That is your point of view , I do not consider the Add slanderous .

Shaun Palmer

Marjane Satrapi

#18 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

As well, at what point in time are the freedoms of others more considered more than others. Case in point religious groups petitioned successfully to have Atheist signs removed from buses in Kelowna.

4 months later religious signage was put up on those same buses, atheist groups petitioned to have them removed and were ignored citing religious freedoms and freedom of speech.

Map 1-4 show the basic tale and nothing else should be argued. The truth is Palestinians are having land stolen from them. Groups and people can argue that all they want, but that arguing is being done while peoples homes are being bulldozed by Israeli building companies backed by the Israeli army

Great post mate

Shaun Palmer

Marjane Satrapi

#19 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Great post mate

Thanks bud, I am very familiar with the history and the area itself. My grandfather went from serving in Europe in 43-45 to assisting int he handover of Palestinian lands to the new "Israelis" in 1946 at which point his unit was attacked by "Israelis" asserting their dominance on anything that moved.

I fail to understand why people continue to defend this. It is troubling, were my Grandpa alive today he would have said it was all a mistake, his favourtie saying when we messed up as kids was "What a waste of a bright future" he would be muttering that watching these ads I have no doubt.

#20 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Map 1-4 do not show a basic tale. The first 1 is straight out wrong. The 4 together show 4 entirely different things, but they are presented as 1.

Your story about the busses in Kelowna is also fabricated. Religious ads of any kind are barred on public busses in BC. No religious ads were placed on buses 4 months later.

#21 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

What are they supposed to look like? If you could show the descrepancies and prove these are exaggerations, then I suppose you would have a very good argument for removing these ads.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 28 August 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#22 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Map 1-4 do not show a basic tale. The first 1 is straight out wrong. The 4 together show 4 entirely different things, but they are presented as 1.

Your story about the busses in Kelowna is also fabricated. Religious ads of any kind are barred on public busses in BC. No religious ads were placed on buses 4 months later.

Fabricated? Do the homework, Athesit ads removed, pro life approved and rejected when asked to be removed.

I see your fabrication and raise you 1 head in the sand

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ds-missing.html

http://www.castanet....launches-bus-ad

But I guess I make these things up. Ignoring the truth doesn't make it any less true

Edited by Warhippy, 28 August 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#23 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Here is some fun reading for the pro Israel crowd. I am guessing they're also sheer darlings right?

http://www2.ohchr.or...dingmission.htm

http://www.hrw.org/n...ence-war-crimes

http://www.hrw.org/e...03/25/rain-fire

Keep in mind in the 30's groups warned people that the Nazi's were indeed a danger as well and were laughed at

I wonder what would have happened in the 30's if the NAzi's said that those of the jewish faith were 100% terrorists.

Your thoughts Taxi???

You know, being such a learned individual and such

#24 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've had some guest lecturers come in and speak to this issue.. very tragic what's happening over there. For one, I am not opposed to having this on the Sky Train as an ad.

We get a lot of "raising awareness" hullabaloo thrown at us but this is an issue that I believe is worthy of just that considering the global politics behind the issue.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#25 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,080 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

The ad could use instructions on what the hell we're supposed to do about it.
Posted Image

#26 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

donate to palestinian aid organizations, oppose jewish groups who are asking for donations for building projects in the middle east.

beware though, only one of those is likely to get you on a watch list

#27 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

POPULAR

What you do to make positive change in the world is your choice. So is feeling paralyzed into not doing anything.

Your attitude always seems to be that small things, even discussion and raising awareness, are a waste of time.

The world is not made up of big things. It is made of of uncountable small actions.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#28 Jimayo

Jimayo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,931 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

It's not about that.

Are you kidding me? It's not the bus company paying for the ads. They get paid by the advertisers who put ads on the buses. The bus is the billboard in this case.

This is not a publicly funded ad. The government is, in fact, getting paid by a private entity to put those ads on the bus.
QUOTE("stuckinontario")
QUOTE("Rommsey")
If they can we don't agree then. Do you really try this hard to be this stupid?

I do what I can to come down to your level.

QUOTE("captainkirk")
QUOTE(Wings_Imagery")
Micro evolution doesn't prove Macro evolution...It only proves that species can adapt to new environments, it doesn't prove that they morph into completely different species. i.e. a fish does not turn into a dog.

I guess the drooling football players must have distracted you during the part where the professor told you that you were in anthropology class, not cellular biology.

#29 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thanks bud, I am very familiar with the history and the area itself. My grandfather went from serving in Europe in 43-45 to assisting int he handover of Palestinian lands to the new "Israelis" in 1946 at which point his unit was attacked by "Israelis" asserting their dominance on anything that moved.

I fail to understand why people continue to defend this. It is troubling, were my Grandpa alive today he would have said it was all a mistake, his favourtie saying when we messed up as kids was "What a waste of a bright future" he would be muttering that watching these ads I have no doubt.

I am to,It seems we share a common experience. my fathers best friend who risked his life to save dads on D-day, lost his life in the King David hotel bombing committed by the Jewish terrorist Group , The Irgun . It seems that many people think that free speech is a great thing...until some one says something they don't like

Edited by Buddhas Hand, 28 August 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Shaun Palmer

Marjane Satrapi

#30 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Fabricated? Do the homework, Athesit ads removed, pro life approved and rejected when asked to be removed.

I see your fabrication and raise you 1 head in the sand

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ds-missing.html

http://www.castanet....launches-bus-ad

But I guess I make these things up. Ignoring the truth doesn't make it any less true

The abortion ads are not in anyway religious. They say life begins at conception, which is techinically true. I'm pro-choice, but those ads are not in anyway "religious" as you have claimed.

Like I said before, the law in BC is that no religious ads are allowed on buses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.