The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gretzky or Lemieux

i know alot of people think of Wayne Gretzky is the most skilled player but i want to know COULD Mario lemieux been the most skilled player. I will admit wayne Gretzky is the greatest player in nhl history and that will not change but could "super mario" have been better if the circumstances were right.

1) Gretzky came into the nhl with a year in the WHA

while lemieux came in straight out of Juniors

2) Gretzky played with the oilers a team that was a dynasty

lemieux played with the no Stanley cup almost bankrupt penguins

3) Gretzky had a mostly healthy career

lemieux had spinal disc herniation, chronic tendinitis of a hip-flexor muscle, chronic back pain and Hodgkin's lymphoma causing him to play only 915 of a possible 1,428 games (many of these games being in his prime)

4) Gretzky had 2 season where he did not have more then 1 point per game (mininum of 25 games)

while lemieux only had 1 and that was the year he only played 26 games

so if Lemieux had an extra season before coming to the nhl and played for a team like today's penguins and had a healthy career could he have been "the great one"

wayne-gretzky-mario-lemieux.jpg

(now let the hate begin)

If Lemieux entered the league the same time as Gretzky with a solid line mate and is healthy then this is a strong debate but there so many variables.

Mario was injured a lot and didn't always have that all star cast played his prime in the 90's

Wayne was injury free the the most part but kinda slowed down in his last three years and played through the high scoring 80's...

Mario. For me

Lemieux made plugs into 30 goal scorers. I never saw Gretzky in his prime, but what Lemieux was able to accomplish while playing hurt is insane. Catching LaFontaine after coming back from cancer treatments and winning the scoring race is absolutely insane. Lafontaine was no slouch himself.

Biased vote goes to Super Mario.

Archived