The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Moving Jordan Schroeder To 2nd Line Right Wing A Good Idea?

Southpop45

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Schroeder as 2C. Kesler on wing, taking draws. Gaunce (or maybe Horvat) as 3C. Checking line.

OR

Schroeder on 3C. Make it a speed line. Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen. Good on all sides of the ice.

Schroeder has taken over Raymond's old spot, IMO. At this point, it's up to him to find a niche. At least Schroeder can play center and make a pass.

Praying that kellan lain has magically transformed himself with 25 lbs of muscle and a mixed martial arts degree mixed with a real nasty mean streak.

Or we find a beast that fits the bill for center. Schroeder too small.

Sedin -Sedin - Kassian

Booth- Kesler- Burrows

Higgins-Lain/TBD-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Obviously yeah. Schroeder is overdue to play on the second line full time. I don't know why prospects central rate him on 7 out of 10 - he's more like an 8. He is a substantial playmaker, can almost compare with Patrick Kane - what he may lack in scoring prowess and puck skills, he actually more than makes up for that with his defensive ability and underrated grit.

In fact, within two years, the second line should be Schroeder-Gaunce (or Horvat)-Kesler. Gaunce should be on the third line this year.

Where's this guy going to fir? This club is getting bigger. He will have to be something very special to make this club. He's no Cliff Ronning, not even close and Ronning is the template of a small player making it. Even Roy who is smallish didn't impress last year and he was supposed to be head and shoulders about Schroeder.

Trade the guy, get something for him.

Its not as simple as people may seem it to be.

Moving a center to the wing is a lot harder to do than just placing a player there. A player has to learn the positioning of where the wingers have to play in the defensive zone. Most of the time centers are in the midst of most of the action there, as the wingers are more prompt and ready to break out rather than defensive positions. Plus being a center means you are the QB of the line, and Schroeder for years has been the QB for any line as he has played, changing that dynamic of him being the winger ready for the pass rather than being the one to have the puck in the first place is a hard mindset to fix.

Schroeder has shown that he is more effective as a player at center, and that is where he will start.

Its not as simple as people may seem it to be.

Moving a center to the wing is a lot harder to do than just placing a player there. A player has to learn the positioning of where the wingers have to play in the defensive zone. Most of the time centers are in the midst of most of the action there, as the wingers are more prompt and ready to break out rather than defensive positions. Plus being a center means you are the QB of the line, and Schroeder for years has been the QB for any line as he has played, changing that dynamic of him being the winger ready for the pass rather than being the one to have the puck in the first place is a hard mindset to fix.

Schroeder has shown that he is more effective as a player at center, and that is where he will start.

Can't imagine moving one of the league's best 2-way centers (Kesler) to the wing to make room for the likes of a Schroeder. Can't imagine Schroeder trying to check the likes of Thornton, Getzlaf... I could see Schroeder getting a shot on Kesler's wing in the preseason to see if there is any chemistry but I think that's a long shot. With our current roster I think he will have an opportunity to take the 3rd center spot.

IMO you guys are too focused on the individuals in a TEAM sport. Kesler could still be one of the best 2way forwards/faceoff men in the league...on wing. You guys are acting like playing more than one C on a line is unheard of.

If (and granted that's a BIG IF) Schroeder makes the TEAM better by playing between Kes and Bur/Booth, that's where he'll play. If he doesn't, he won't.

That line needs a play-maker. Schroeder is one. Kesler has shown he can play wing well, Schroeder hasn't.

1+1 = ....

IMO you guys are too focused on the individuals in a TEAM sport. Kesler could still be one of the best 2way forwards/faceoff men in the league...on wing. You guys are acting like playing more than one C on a line is unheard of.

If (and granted that's a BIG IF) Schroeder makes the TEAM better by playing between Kes and Bur/Booth, that's where he'll play. If he doesn't, he won't.

That line needs a play-maker. Schroeder is one. Kesler has shown he can play wing well, Schroeder hasn't.

1+1 = ....

No doubt Kesler can play wing. I can see him moving over for an equally capable or better NHL center. A big part of Kesler's value is his ability to check and neutralize the big playmaking centers like Thornton and Getzlaf 5 on 5. No doubt Schroeder cannot fill Kesler's skates in that capacity. Sundin yes, Schroeder no. In the last finals, the more injured Bergeron became, the more open ice the Chicago star forwards got... A healthy Kesler is far too valuable defensively not to be playing center on our current team. Furthermore, in past years Kesler had many more assists than goals before his 40 goal season, he was more of a playmaker once upon a time. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

For the record I doubt it will happen/be long term (this season) as I also have my doubts that Schroeder is yet at the level that the drop off from Kes to him at C wouldn't be that extreme. At least for a while...

I'm mostly hoping to at least see one or the other as (Kes/Sch on wing/centre) in the preseason as a line combo...just to see.

Never know, could be like a the twins/Burrows experiment. Nobody going in really saw that working long term or anywhere as well as it did...yet there it is. Kes/Schroeder could be a similar "more than the sum of it's parts" combo.

Those people saying he should play the wing and could end up like st louis with Kesler needs to give their head a shake. Our second line is good when they are playing a fast gritty defensive game. Schroeder might be fast but he is not gritty or defensive.

While I do like him on the wing on a third line that focuses on scoring, I do not think there is a place for him here.

We need size in the middle and a faceoff ace who can win battles in our end. Schroeder again doesn't have that in his skill set.

Those people saying he should play the wing and could end up like st louis with Kesler needs to give their head a shake. Our second line is good when they are playing a fast gritty defensive game. Schroeder might be fast but he is not gritty or defensive.

While I do like him on the wing on a third line that focuses on scoring, I do not think there is a place for him here.

We need size in the middle and a faceoff ace who can win battles in our end. Schroeder again doesn't have that in his skill set.

Archived