The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]Gallagher: No time for Chris Higgins to be inconsistent

TheMohammadman

The Canucks need the up-and-down forward to be the same skilled and tough player all the time

BY TONY GALLAGHER, THE PROVINCE AUGUST 28, 2013

There are times when Chris Higgins plays for the Vancouver Canucks when you wonder how they ever got a player of such special quality the way they did — for a song at the trade deadline the year they ran to the Cup final.

Great instincts for the puck, quick feet and an overbearing wrist shot are just a few of the great characteristic which would convince any observer they were watching one of the best players in the NHL.

These runs of excellence go for anywhere from three to seven games, and then they disappear like the sunshine does in Vancouver in November, giving way to long stretches when you wonder what ever would attract the Canucks to sign this guy for four seasons, which they did this summer.

And you reconcile this commitment to such an up-and-down player with the thought that they are convinced that as he matures, he will begin to bring forward the outstanding player far more often than has been presented in the past. The best part about it is that Higgins knows this is his own personal battle.

“Everyone has their ups and downs in this league, and what you’ve talked about is the same for every player. You’d like to be at your best 85 to 90 per cent of the time, but that doesn’t seem possible,” says Higgins, whose bonus contribution to the organization is his unfailing friendliness and even temper combined with a charming personality that surely must make him one of the best teammates you could hope to have.

“When you’re not scoring, you like to think you’re contributing in lots of other ways, but obviously this is something which I’d like to improve on. I want to think I can be at the top of my game more.

“I’d like to think I’m getting better with the idea of increasing my professionalism. (I’m) watching a lot more video, in fact, I watch a ton more video than I ever used to, trying to be more consistent. I think for me the key is moving my feet. When that happens, I think you see a better player.”

More of the great Chris Higgins would be such a tonic for this team it’s hard to describe. Not having a third-line centre they know they can count on, scoring goals this year just might be a significant challenge, and a top end Higgins going out there more often would be a marvellous step toward salving such concerns.

Because everyone knows it won’t be long until Ryan Kesler is once again subpar due to injuries he can’t stay away from, despite his proclamation recently that he’s finally healthy after two years (at least). And when he gets dinged to the point where he’s just ordinary Kesler, the whole load will fall on the Sedins again unless someone substantially steps up.

It might be one of the younger players, but that’s a lot to count on, although they finally have a few forwards from whom such expectations are no longer laughable. It might be Alex Burrows getting back to where he once was, although surely they’re hoping Zack Kassian will catch on with the twins.

It might be anyone, and Higgins is a good candidate. But it had better be someone because a consistently healthy Kesler is a concept that resides in Fantasyland.

Higgins spent all but about a month of the summer here in Vancouver for the first time in his career, and he was delighted it turned out to be such a good one, remarking on the quality of the weather run we had with his trademark smile. So he’s been around town and has been aware of the angst over the goaltending situation which he says he and the rest of the players have pretty much moved on from.

“It’s all over now, behind us, really,” says the 30-year-old winger from upstate New York.

“He knows it’s up to him to do his job, and that’s the way he likes it. We all know what to expect from him, he’s always been a great professional and his own worst critic. He’s our guy and we’re very lucky to have somebody of that calibre. Controversies come and go, and this one is pretty much over. I just don’t think it’s going to be an issue for us.”

He’s probably quite right. Scoring goals on the other hand, just might be a little more complicated.

tgallagher@theprovince.com

twitter.com/tg_gman

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Gallagher+time+Chris+Higgins+inconsistent/8844867/story.html

post-121176-0-77683100-1378228804_thumb.

Is Gallagher just going to go through the entire roster and talk about how they're likely going to disappoint him in the upcoming season by not living up to his standards? And make jinxy predictions about how Kesler will get hurt in all of them?

Anyone else starting to wonder if Gallagher is really just a puppet they made to cover up the fact that his pieces are written by a room full of poo slinging monkeys with typewriters?

Because everyone knows it won’t be long until Ryan Kesler is once again subpar

:picard: This guy is such a hack, and an embarrassment to Canuck's Nation.

I agree Higgins needs to step up, but why the eff does Gallagher need to be writing about it? Higgs knows, we know, he either will or he won't. This article is pointless and useless, and I would say is a detriment by putting even more pressure on a singled out player.

IMO Higgins doesn't make or break this team. Being on the third line wing gives him the luxury of not having to be the go to guy. All he has to do is play smart, make the high percentage plays and not be a defensive liabilty, all else is bonus.

Another awful article by an awful writer.

He's a decent 7th forward. I'm not worried about him at the moment, but a 4yr deal, $2.5mil per w/ntc for the oft-injured guy who doesn't show up a lot of the times in the playoffs wasn't tremendous.

Oft Injured?

He hasn't missed more than 6 games at a stretch at all since signing with us. 14 games 71 games and 41 games since signing. That's pretty good, he's inconsistent that's the knock, not injured you're thinking Booth Kesler or the ex Salo

Is Gallagher just going to go through the entire roster and talk about how they're likely going to disappoint him in the upcoming season by not living up to his standards? And make jinxy predictions about how Kesler will get hurt in all of them?

Anyone else starting to wonder if Gallagher is really just a puppet they made to cover up the fact that his pieces are written by a room full of poo slinging monkeys with typewriters?

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

Higgins is probably #3 in our workhorse players. He is a 3rd liner not a top 6 forward, don't expect alot.

He's a utility type guy, and an improvement on Raymond IMO. Higgins is one of those guys who has to at least be generating scoring chances in order for the team to succeed. Whenever he is on the team plays very well.

Archived