The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burkie to the Flames

lumberman

That's not good. All I trust Burke to do is improve teams prospect pools and make solid trades that fleece silly teams when they're not looking. I don't trust him to sign or retain anyone so a team as floundering as Calgary could seriously benefit from him in any serious role.

Although with this being an Olympic year and with him still tied in with both Toronto and Anaheim I question his ability to do everything all at once.

Report: Flames set to hire Brian Burke?

James O'Brien

Sep 4, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT

2 Comments

brianburkegetty.jpg?w=320 Getty Images

Reports are circulating that the Calgary Flames might be primed to hire Brian Burke as the team’s new CEO.

Bruce Dowbiggin cites sources who explain that Burke is headed to the area to roll out the announcement, while Rogers Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports that there’s “more than a little fire” to back up that smoke.

Going further, TSN’s Bob McKenzie recalls that Burke fired down similar rumors in June – he visited Calgary because his daughter lives in the area – but notes that the rumblings haven’t been confirmed or denied on Wednesday.

At least, they haven’t been confirmed or denied yet. Burke is set to appear on Vancouver’s Team 1040 radio tonight, so he might take that time to make it official, put everything on pause or stomp it down once more.

Update: Fan 960′s Josh Humphries reports that Burke is in town to participate in a charity event on Thursday. Is that all he’s in town for? We’ll see.

While we wait for what could (hopefully) be a quick answer, it’s worth noting a few points:

• The team was hoping to fill an executive position, even talking with Brendan Shanahan, so it’s clear the organization wants to make a move in the future.

• Burke orchestrated a big move with Calgary, as he brought Dion Phaneuf to Toronto during his days as Maple Leafs GM.

• Current Flames GM Jay Feaster is an avowed fan of Burke, as you can see back in this 2009 column for The Hockey News.

• Maybe the most entertaining consideration: Burke can renew his rivalry with Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe, with the added bonus of it being the Battle of Alberta.

It all shapes up for an interesting hypothetical situation, but we’ll wait and see if there really is much fire to go with the smoke.

That's not good. All I trust Burke to do is improve teams prospect pools and make solid trades that fleece silly teams when they're not looking. I don't trust him to sign or retain anyone so a team as floundering as Calgary could seriously benefit from him in any serious role.

Although with this being an Olympic year and with him still tied in with both Toronto and Anaheim I question his ability to do everything all at once.

Archived