The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think I chose the wrong class as a first year...

Alex the Great

So I'm currently in my first year at Langara for my something degree (haven't really figured it out) and I waited way too long to register so I got stuck with a choice between going on a wait-list or registering for Special Topics 1 : Islam : From Muhammad to the Mongols so I chose to take the course. And already it seems like everyone else in my class seems to know what my prof is talking about but it all sounds like gibberish to me.. I feel like I should wait it out and see how it is in a few weeks but by then it will be too late to get refunded for the course.

Anyone else every feel like this?

I'm not sure how Langara does it, but I know that where I did my undergrad a course with "Special Topics" in the title was usually designed for students with some background in the area. That doesn't mean you won't be able to handle the course, but you might want to take some introductory courses in the area first. At the very least, it's probably a good idea to talk to the prof - he or she will be able to give you some background reading if you choose to stay in.

This reminds me of my first semester at SFU. they screwed me over for class registration by not taking my transcripts for the longest time, so I had to pick classes 2 weeks before I got on campus. I ended up taking "History of Quebec". Terrible mistake, not only were half the readings in french, which I don't speak, but I had very little Canadian history knowledge at all before this. All I really remember was a bunch of beaver hunting, then complaining

This reminds me of my first semester at SFU. they screwed me over for class registration by not taking my transcripts for the longest time, so I had to pick classes 2 weeks before I got on campus. I ended up taking "History of Quebec". Terrible mistake, not only were half the readings in french, which I don't speak, but I had very little Canadian history knowledge at all before this. All I really remember was a bunch of beaver hunting, then complaining

So I'm currently in my first year at Langara for my something degree (haven't really figured it out) and I waited way too long to register so I got stuck with a choice between going on a wait-list or registering for Special Topics 1 : Islam : From Muhammad to the Mongols so I chose to take the course. And already it seems like everyone else in my class seems to know what my prof is talking about but it all sounds like gibberish to me.. I feel like I should wait it out and see how it is in a few weeks but by then it will be too late to get refunded for the course.

i remember when i took philosophy 101 and there were students in there quoting philosophers to the prof and getting into real deep back and forth conversations debating morality... I was like "was there a philosophy 100 or something?"... turns out there was, but these douches were second year students who couldn't get into 101 in their first year so they were taking it in their second year.

Archived