The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Morrow to Canucks

With the cap down to $64.3 mill., there are a lot of unrestricted free agents who have been frozen out of this, does Brenden Morrow get a contract?

Pierre LeBrun: I've never been asked on Twitter more about what “PTO” met than what's happening here over the last month. Brenden Morrow doesn't want a PTO. He wants to sign an honest-to-goodness NHL contract, so he's sitting at home, working out and waiting for that. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are among the contenders that are keeping an eye on Brenden Morrow, but they don't have any cap room to sign him right now, so they're just waiting to see what transpires. Carolina Hurricanes, with the Kirk Muller-Dallas connection, they also value Brenden Morrow, but again, right now nothing imminent on that front. They're going to have to wait and be patient.

Source:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432024

Maybe some one can clarify the salary limitations of a "PTO"?

Chance of Morrow coming to the Canucks is roughly about as good as my seeing a Wood Duck paddling around in the middle of the UBC University Boulevard Public Realm on University Boulevard. If any UBC students here have seen a wood duck on University Boulevard and can supply photographic evidence to that effect, please let me know, that way, I can make my way over there to photograph it and I will reconsider my viewpoint on Brendan Morrow's possibility of joining the Canucks organization.

Why does every line up proposed lately have Higgins/Hansen on the fourth line??

Just some common sense here: The canucks will not burn up a year of either Horvat or Shinkaruks ELC's as 18 year olds, just to have Higgins and Hansen on the fourth line, and in a lot of line up proposals Schroeder not making the team at all. World Junior Championships, memorial cups, scoring titles etc..... there is too much development for these guys to miss just to get 10 minutes a night in the nhl. If either of them make the team its for a quick look at the start of the season before being sent down.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Higgins Kesler Burrows/Jensen

Morrow Schroeder/Santorelli Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise

Much more likely roster if we're including Morrow.

Im not looking for all the silly reasons why he doesnt fit our style....face it...we will have maybe 1 rookie on the team this year not including lack..so much for the reset.

A guy like Morrow is invaluable,,he is hard nosed, can chip in offensively...and grind....we need a guy like him..I dont care if he is 34.

I am actually amazed he hasnt been signed or PTOd...we deffo should grab this guy,,he can play 4th line,,up to 2nd line minutes,,,with passion./

From what I have seen so far in camp...Shinkaruk is the only guy that could stick and I am torn on that,,he is 18..needs another year in Junior I think...but..Gallagher did it.

Let Booth take his time put him on IR. Don't know why they are pushing him to get close. They should be pulling back the reins and telling him he isn't ready yet until he practices fully with the team for at least 2 full weeks. He isn't going to be very effective coming back anyways. Let him practice fully for a couple of weeks and give Jensen a chance to play in the top six in his spot for 6 or 7 games and see how he does.

Plus that cap space doesn't hurt either if they wanna sign Morrow.

Bah, was bound to happen at 64.3 mill limit..some solid vets go unsigned. On top of that, good draft year, was 2013, & 2012 picks didn't get a proper camp-so lots of kids will jump on the stage, this season.

Would like Morrow too..but I'm curious how much damage he's accumulated with all that hard mileage?

MG has left cap space(for an expensive rookie); & prob Booth will get hurt(LTIR) while poring over the Good Book. If not Morrow, maybe we get another solid wing/vet, through trade, or waivers...

Chance of Morrow coming to the Canucks is roughly about as good as my seeing a Wood Duck paddling around in the middle of the UBC University Boulevard Public Realm on University Boulevard. If any UBC students here have seen a wood duck on University Boulevard and can supply photographic evidence to that effect, please let me know, that way, I can make my way over there to photograph it and I will reconsider my viewpoint on Brendan Morrow's possibility of joining the Canucks organization.

Having Higgins and Hansen on the 4th line isn't a slight on their abilities or as a player, but they are pretty much the most versatile players on the team. It's that flexibility that are their strength, that they can be top-9 players and yet able to adapt to play the crashing/banging/aggressive forechecking role on the 4th line. An if Higgins and Hansen are on the 4th line... now that's depth.

As for burning up a year of ELC.... it gives those prospects less time to leverage a bigger contract afterwards. Of course, should they tear it up... that's only a good problem to have. Having rookies in the NHL won't ruin their development because unlike situations like Brule, Filatov or whoever... they won't be relied upon to carry the team, meaning they will have sheltered minutes against pros and not just dominating against 16 years old's in junior. The last thing you want is for top prospects to be developing bad habits by just relying on their relative strength against weaker peers instead of improving their weaknesses against men.

Why does every line up proposed lately have Higgins/Hansen on the fourth line??

Just some common sense here: The canucks will not burn up a year of either Horvat or Shinkaruks ELC's as 18 year olds, just to have Higgins and Hansen on the fourth line, and in a lot of line up proposals Schroeder not making the team at all. World Junior Championships, memorial cups, scoring titles etc..... there is too much development for these guys to miss just to get 10 minutes a night in the nhl. If either of them make the team its for a quick look at the start of the season before being sent down.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Higgins Kesler Burrows/Jensen

Morrow Schroeder/Santorelli Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise

Much more likely roster if we're including Morrow.

This is when the Higgins signing hurts. Pretty sure we gave our "Morrow" money to Higgins when we re-signed him. Higgins brings a similar game. Higgins better defensively, Morrow gritty, more suited for the playoffs (clutch).

I'm not bashing on Higgins, it a fair deal, but IMO it's way too long, 4 years. Pretty sure Higgins won't be playing on our third line in 4 years.

At least Morrow would have been a 1-2 year deal and we would have moved on. Now we'll be stuck with Higgins in years 3-4 of his contract. By that time Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen should be on the team permanently, along with futur 1st rounder.

Archived