The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article: Horvat’s mission: Draw into Canucks lineup

The Dark Knight

I doubt Horvat will get more than the 9 games before he's sent back to junior. There really is no sense rushing him or trying to convert him to a winger on the fly at the NHL level (a good way to ruin development). Letting him continue to build his skating, leadership and experience another year in London is probably best for him. He'll have a long pro career, but how often do you get a shot to win gold for Canada at the WJC or win a Memorial Cup?

Based on off season moves we are going to give Shredder one more year to prove he can be a 3rd line centre. Or at the very least rent him for the year to further develop Gaunce and BoHo.

The only young guy playing for a roster spot in my books is Jensen and he's looking pretty good so far. It's also gonna be a battle for back up. Lou can suit up for 60-70 games which will more then likely be the case. Low to mid 70's for him.

One of the more talked about seasons in a while, a lot of questions and some new faces including new coaching staff. Going to be a fun year to be a Canucks fan. Unless they miss the playoffs, or worse get swept in the first round again....sarcasm cause I know I'll get flamed if I don't say it's sarcasm.

He just has to outplay Santorelli and Hammil and he's in. Brad Richardson will be our 4C. If he can hang with the big boys and keep up, let him play. Lets see what the kid can do.

When was the last time our team saw a highly touted center come in right after the draft and made a difference? 1988.

He's competing for the 3rd and 4th line center role with these guys:

Schroeder - my pick for 3C, proved he can score in the NHL after putting up numbers in the AHL for some time

Richardson - my pick for 4C, scored around the same clip as Schroeder, has a Cup ring but is older. Perfect 4C

Santorelli - could be a 4th line winger, fantastic at faceoffs (around 60% I believe) and not far removed from a 20 goal season

Gaunce - one year ahead of Horvat in terms of development, but looking worse than Horvat this prospect tournament

Lain - everyone is very hush-hush about him, but MG says he's our most NHL-ready prospect

Horvat

He won't be in our lineup this season. At best, he's our 6th string center.

He's competing for the 3rd and 4th line center role with these guys:

Schroeder - my pick for 3C, proved he can score in the NHL after putting up numbers in the AHL for some time

Richardson - my pick for 4C, scored around the same clip as Schroeder, has a Cup ring but is older. Perfect 4C

Santorelli - could be a 4th line winger, fantastic at faceoffs (around 60% I believe) and not far removed from a 20 goal season

Gaunce - one year ahead of Horvat in terms of development, but looking worse than Horvat this prospect tournament

Lain - everyone is very hush-hush about him, but MG says he's our most NHL-ready prospect

Horvat

He won't be in our lineup this season. At best, he's our 6th string center.

Totally agree. A lot has to do with how management views post season play. If Van comes out of the gate well the young guys might see less ice. Van isn't in a position of having to play 18 year olds and shouldn't unless the player is already a star. The junior level kids should go back to junior, especially the 18 year olds. I have to admit that Horvat already has a NHL body and probably only spends one more year in junior.

If Jensen had more North American hockey experience I would be more comfortable thinking he might stick in the NHL. It isn't necessarily about offensive talent which he appears to have. It is the physical grind of a 82 game sched which he might adjust better to in Utica. I hope all these guys get a few NHL games to chew on.

Sounds talented, but we can only expect 20 goals 20 assists this year from him, but after that we will expect nearly ppg from him no doubt. He had better, 9th pick... However still can't believe we unloaded the sure-dud shnyder for him. Good job management...

Man I love this team!

Archived