The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO]Mason Raymond to Leafs

Honeydews

He had spurts of good play, particularly whenever he came back from a long absence. However he would just as soon revert to his old style. Maybe not signing him was the wake up call he needed. When he cuts to the net and goes into the dirty areas I think he is pretty effective. Good luck to him though.

Got to see him in London when the Laffs played the Flyers at Bud Center. Naturally, to troll I was wearing my Canucks jersey ;)

I was cursing Raymond for a good portion of the game. I announced to the leafs fans around me:

"See! See! This is why we got rid of him. He F%<*|%g cherry picks, skates his butt off for a scoring chance and look. He just lazily makes his way back! Ridiculous! That was his man! Boudreau is going to be pissed."

Something like that. Needless to say the reception was mixed. By mixed I mean I was getting glares for the rest of the game. Serves me right for being a Canucks fan near the self-declared center of the universe (Toronto).

Got to see him in London when the Laffs played the Flyers at Bud Center. Naturally, to troll I was wearing my Canucks jersey ;)

I was cursing Raymond for a good portion of the game. I announced to the leafs fans around me:

"See! See! This is why we got rid of him. He F%<*|%g cherry picks, skates his butt off for a scoring chance and look. He just lazily makes his way back! Ridiculous! That was his man! Boudreau is going to be pissed."

Something like that. Needless to say the reception was mixed. By mixed I mean I was getting glares for the rest of the game. Serves me right for being a Canucks fan near the self-declared center of the universe (Toronto).

Raymond is always stellar in preseason. what else is new.

It's playoffs that count.

Canuck players with more goals in playoffs last year than Raymond: Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler with 2 each. Raymond had one.

Canuck players with more points in playoffs last year than Raymond: Alex Burrows, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin, with 3 points. Raymond had two.

Canucks with a better +/- than Raymond in the playoffs last year: Nobody. His +2 mark led the team.

Canuck players with zero points in the playoffs last year: Chris Higgins, Max Lapierre, Zack Kassian, Jannik Hansen, Jason Garrison, Andrew Alberts, Frank Corrado, Andrew Ebbett, Tom Sestito, Dale Weise, Steve Pinizzotto.

Doesn't look like Raymond was the problem to me.

Only problem with that statement is that 30 GMs don't think he will get 40 points and that is the reason he is still unsigned.

You are incorrect. He is unsigned because of the falling salary cap and the fact that other teams want to see if their younger prospects can step into the role that Raymond fills. As far as 30 GMs don't think he'll get 40 points, have you asked them? That's foolish thinking if you ask me, because 40 points is about average for a 2nd line winger and it's also Mason Raymond's range if he stays healthy.

2009-10 - 25 goals, 53 points in 82 games. (With the right fit as far as system goes, he can absolutely hit those numbers again, if not top them)

2010-11 - 15 goals, 39 points in 70 games. So he missed 12 games and still hit about 40 points.

2011-12 - 10 goals, 20 points in 55 games. Returning from serious back injury, but pro-rated over a full season is about 30 points. Not bad considering.

2012-13 - 10 goals, 22 points in 46 games. Over a full season, that's a 39 point pace.

The question shouldn't be if he can hit those numbers, he's proven he can. And he did it playing with guys like Andrew Ebbett, Max Lapierre, Jordan Schroeder and Dale Weise for extended stretches and averaging roughly 16 minutes of ice time. The question should be if he can stay healthy. And if so, he'd be a great addition to any roster. Sure he has his deficiencies but he also has his strengths. Canuck fans can be cynical all they want about him, but Raymond can do the job and I believe he'll end up making a lot of posters on CDC looking pretty foolish.

Archived