The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Thomas to Florida?

smurf47

http://www.sun-senti...0,4457337.story

Panthers to open camp Thursday, will G Tim Thomas be there?

By Harvey FialkovSun Sentinel

6:45 p.m. EDT, September 10, 2013

The Panthers will open their training camp on Thursday morning at Saveology.com Iceplex and on Tuesday they released their 59-man roster.

The big question is whether or not veteran free-agent goalie Tim Thomas will be in one of the nets at Saveology.com Iceplex Thursday morning at 9 a.m.

The twitter universe was abuzz with reports that the Panthers offered Thomas a PTO (professional tryout), and it certainly makes sense as GM Dale Tallon told us Sunday that he was shopping for a veteran netminder once Scott Clemmensen went down with a knee injury.

I called Thomas’ new agent Markus Lehto and I’m awaiting a call back for confirmation. The Panthers wouldn’t confirm the Thomas invitation, which according to tweets by ESPN.com and TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the 39-year-old, two-time Vezina Trophy winner hasn’t decided which team to accept PTO’s with yet.

It’s possible the Islanders and Canucks are interested, but Thomas, who was MVP in the 2010-11 season when he led the Bruins to a Stanley Cup, still wants to be a starter and not a backup.

http://spectorshocke...tember-11-2013/

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Hopefully we’ll have clarification on the Panthers reported invite to Thomas later today. The only team I could see Thomas having a shot as a starter is with the Calgary Flames, but there’s no indication the Flames are interested in him. Otherwise, if he wants to play, he could be forced to accept a backup role.

at the expense of trading a young AND proven #1 starter? especially after gillis' talk of bringing in veteran roster players for one of his goalies? keep sippin' the kool aid and haterade

you have no clue about what you're saying ever, simmer down jason botchford

Gheez. I always thought Lu should be more miffed with Tallon....than Gillis.

After training in Florida in the off-seasons & having his hopes buttered-up by Panther-players for his possible return ....(Panther-fans would LOVE that story)...then to have Tallon play sic mind games...all of that must have been very frustrating for Lu, to say the least. It serves the Panthers right...to have goalie problems now. An ace goalie desperately wanted to play for 'em....but no-thanks - they'd rather tank. Again.

I suppose their strategy must be to continue with the give-aways of tickets to corporations, families & snowbirds. Then if the team isn't moved, in the mean-time...they will expect to cash-in with those higher draft picks down the road. And - how's that working for the Oilers so far? Maybe - they'll raise prices when the on-ice product actually improves...or when those "younger" fans that they lassoed-in earlier.... grow-up.

After the fall of Wayne Huizenga's Blockbuster empire, a re-cruited billionaire ownership-group gets the team for a bargain (50 million $). The new guys apparently don't mind tax write-offs. Or maybe the NHL's new revenue-sharing scheme makes the losing enterprises more tolerable now? Who is Alan Cohen? He got out by selling to...who? Cliff Viner & friends? More of Jeremy Jacobs' partners in biz or his buds...no doubt. It's only a matter of time, before the new guys start askin' for promised desserts.

With more NHL teams & their star-power dropping-by FLA to sell the game & entertain there this season....I wonder if the Panthers will finally raise their ticket prices? If not, another conspiracy has to be in the works... OR these owners are completely wack!

Archived