The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ronalds Kenins | LW/RW

elvis15

Kennins is like Hansen but better, could see him cracking Canucks possibly next season

Can I ask you how do you know that, does this statement come from a solid source or is it an opinion. I watched him a little in the Olmpics but didn't see enough to make a judgement. I hope you're right and I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but there's so many dreams and speculation posted

Can I ask you how do you know that, does this statement come from a solid source or is it an opinion. I watched him a little in the Olmpics but didn't see enough to make a judgement. I hope you're right and I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but there's so many dreams and speculation posted

From the (admittedly limited) play I've seen, he basically looks like a younger, feistier Hansen. Between him and Santorelli as options I'm expecting Hansen to be traded.

I would agree basing that entirely off of a highlight pack would be ill advised, luckily we participated in the Olympics and the World Championships which were both televised events.

Elite prospects does have him playing in Utica next year so you might be right.

Watching his compete level, checking ability against professional players at both the OG and WC, was more of why I think he can play in the NHL, but turns out he has pretty good hands and vision. Which were also on display when he played on a line with Gaunce and Jensen in the Prospects camp last year.

I thought he looked pretty good at the Olympics as well. Moved his feet well, battled, good hands etc.

OK, based on the Olympics my impression is he was a 23 rd part of a surprising Latvian team. He didn't stand out to me and was the 14th for minutes played on the Latvian roster, so he wasn't really making much of an impression with Nolan either. IMO he'll be down in Utica for a season to show what he has, if he doesn't make it in that year he's back to ZSC Lions Zurich. lets hope he come ready to do it. It seems to me he's a long shot

OK, based on the Olympics my impression is he was a 23 rd part of a surprising Latvian team. He didn't stand out to me and was the 14th for minutes played on the Latvian roster, so he wasn't really making much of an impression with Nolan either. IMO he'll be down in Utica for a season to show what he has, if he doesn't make it in that year he's back to ZSC Lions Zurich. lets hope he come ready to do it. It seems to me he's a long shot

if i remember correctly, he was receiving more and more minutes as the olympics went on. looking at an average TOI doesn't take into account earning trust from teds. maybe it was cause i was looking for them but i thought kenins and indrasis stood out in a positive way. stat line doesn't say much but latvia was a very low scoring team. I don't see him making the canucks straight out of the swiss league but it wouldn't surprise me if he cements himself into the top 6 in utica fairly quickly. using football terms, the guy can absolutely thread the needle. his passing skill is his best attribute in my eyes.

your Olympic impression is incorrect, but i do think he'll probably start in utica. though i feel he'll be a reliable 3rd liner for us in the near future. his big fast and can hit like a tonne of bricks, not to mention he has some skills to boot (not top six skills, but slightly better than hansen skills)

OK lets put it this way. Is he the best prospect Vcr has ? Is there a Vcr prospect that's going to make the team next season for sure. If he's not the best prospect and Vcr doesn't have a sure thing prospect how can Kenins be any thing other than a long shot . Lets be happily surprised if he makes an impression rather than disapointed because we built a guy up to much in our minds

OK lets put it this way. Is he the best prospect Vcr has ? Is there a Vcr prospect that's going to make the team next season for sure. If he's not the best prospect and Vcr doesn't have a sure thing prospect how can Kenins be any thing other than a long shot . Lets be happily surprised if he makes an impression rather than disapointed because we built a guy up to much in our minds

He has the best chance because hes already an upgrade on hansen

That's too simplistic. Prospects can have a good shot at making the team for different reasons - and in different positions. They don't have to be our top prospect to do so either. We aren't talking about a 90% chance here and we don't even know what moves could be made to increase or decrease his chances of making it in.

Different roles?

Putting Kenins on the 4th line wing is a lot different than say Jensen or Shinkaruk playing in the top 6 or even Horvat possibly centering the 3rd.

All three of those guys are quite likely "better" players than Kenins but IMO he's arguably the most likely to actually stick around in that role.

He has the best chance because hes already an upgrade on hansen

An upgrade on Hansen? Most of us have seen him play, maybe 6 games and folks like you are basing his play on that. Plus, a player like Hansen who has been in the NHL for how many seasons now? Seriously!

An upgrade on Hansen? Most of us have seen him play, maybe 6 games and folks like you are basing his play on that. Plus, a player like Hansen who has been in the NHL for how many seasons now? Seriously!

(I think) what he's saying is that Kenins appears to have a higher ceiling.

He's a bigger, younger Hansen with what appears to be slightly better offense. Obviously as far as experience goes Hansen currently holds an edge.

Between the likely re-signing of Santorelli (who also plays a similar game to Hansen but is more versatile and cheaper) and a younger, bigger and cheaper option with Kenins coming up, I fully expect Hansen to be traded barring other unforeseen moves.

There's a difference. Guys like Jensen and Shinkaruk need to be top six players in order to be successful. There's a lot more riding on that for the team than a guy playing on the fourth line wing. Even Horvat in a 3rd line shut-down role impacts the team more greatly if he has success or doesn't pan out.

Kenins on the fourth line is really a nothing move. It's like Lain making the fourth line. That's the position that they're being groomed for, and they don't have to be our "best" prospect to justify making that spot.

After having a fourth line with guys like Dalpe and Schroeder, I would welcome some grittier players who actually fit the roll of a fourth line player regardless of their prospect rank, rather than floating balls of fluff.

(I think) what he's saying is that Kenins appears to have a higher ceiling.

He's a bigger, younger Hansen with what appears to be slightly better offense. Obviously as far as experience goes Hansen currently holds an edge.

Between the likely re-signing of Santorelli (who also plays a similar game to Hansen but is more versatile and cheaper) and a younger, bigger and cheaper option with Kenins coming up, I fully expect Hansen to be traded barring other unforeseen moves.

The coach that got the axe, didn't utilize him properly at all last season. Like many current players, I see a huge turn around in his play this coming season. He's a very useful player, not only for the Canucks, but 29 other teams would take a shot at him, if available.

The coach that got the axe, didn't utilize him properly at all last season. Like many current players, I see a huge turn around in his play this coming season. He's a very useful player, not only for the Canucks, but 29 other teams would take a shot at him, if available.

Which is why he has trade value ;)

I'm not slagging him at all, I quite like Hansen. He's a great third liner!

But as I said, Santorelli can play largely the same role for less money and win faceoffs too. Kenins can be groomed to also fill that role (with arguably a higher ceiling), also for less money.

It's not a slight on Hansen, it's a simple fact that we simply have too many middle/bottom 6 players and youth that need spots and SOMEONE has to go. IMO that "someone" is the talented but currently redundant Hansen who thankfully should have decent trade value.

It's a matter of asset management, not a dislike of any players.

I don't understand this love in for some Latvian that few have seen, or limited TV coverage in the Olympics ( was he picked a star in any games...did he stand out in any games...the answer is no ) so how come fans are infatuiated with this guy. Hey Hansen has proved himslef again and again. Torts jerked a lot of guys around and Hansen was one of them. I KNOW Hansen can play in the league I have NO IDEA if Kenins can hack the league. the travel, the number of games, the bigger players....has any one on this board ever seen Kenins play in the NHL....right...he's an unknown commodity.

I love the I think he'll do this or that...You know what that is....it's dreaming...wake up

I don't understand this love in for some Latvian that few have seen, or limited TV coverage in the Olympics ( was he picked a star in any games...did he stand out in any games...the answer is no ) so how come fans are infatuiated with this guy. Hey Hansen has proved himslef again and again. Torts jerked a lot of guys around and Hansen was one of them. I KNOW Hansen can play in the league I have NO IDEA if Kenins can hack the league. the travel, the number of games, the bigger players....has any one on this board ever seen Kenins play in the NHL....right...he's an unknown commodity.

I love the I think he'll do this or that...You know what that is....it's dreaming...wake up

Well I guess the Canucks should just just stop drafting and developing players then. Their unknown commodities after all :rolleyes:

He stood out in the olympics, and the answer is yes, playing in the top swiss league/czech league he faces players just as big in the nhl, he is a big boy himself...

Archived