The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ronalds Kenins | LW/RW

elvis15

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

Kenins did not perform well in training camp, and Corrado was underwhelming. There were guys better than Kenins and Corrado during training camp simply put.

Training camp is nice to get a good look at your prospects but I'd like to think that prior history is given precedence over the actual camp. If Burrows or Hansen get outplayed during training camp by a rookie who's having the week of his life, do they sit out? Does Horvat? I'm sure Kenins thought that his play of two years ago earned him a deserved extended look. At least I did. 

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

His wrecking ball style was his way into the league and it lead to his knee injury vs. the Flames in the playoffs. He never really played the same way after that. Hopefully he gets another shot in the NHL, but I think he likely bounces to the Swiss league again.

5 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

I'm a fan of the guy but he wasn't the same last year.  the Kenins that bullied Chara and the Bruins did not play for the Canucks last season.

The guy was playing his life out two years ago, I don't think it's fair to set the bar that high for him in regards to every single game that he plays. If he played at that intensity an on 82-game basis, the guy would burn out in 2-3 years. 

He definitely wasn't the Kenins that we saw against the Bruins but I thought that he still wasn't that bad. IMO, he wasn't given a fair shot.

59 minutes ago, guntrix said:

The guy was playing his life out two years ago, I don't think it's fair to set the bar that high for him in regards to every single game that he plays. If he played at that intensity an on 82-game basis, the guy would burn out in 2-3 years. 

He definitely wasn't the Kenins that we saw against the Bruins but I thought that he still wasn't that bad. IMO, he wasn't given a fair shot.

You're a schizo. Jake Virtanen is the exact same player, but you wouldn't have him on the Canucks no matter what. Why? Cuz he's younger?

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

You're a schizo. Jake Virtanen is the exact same player, but you wouldn't have him on the Canucks no matter what. Why? Cuz he's younger?

Because we drafted him at 6 and my expectations of him are far higher than 4th line banger.

9 hours ago, guntrix said:

His opportunity was that of a depth forward.  he did not come in with enough intensity to earn an extended look like he got the year before.  You're right that it would wear on him quickly to play that way for a full season; I just didn't see even close to that level to earn him more minutes than what he got last year.  I still hope he gets a contract this year.

Kenins lacked a LOT of consistency last year and was hampered by injuries. He was unwilling and/or unable to continue to play the way that got him his initial look. 

Too bad, I really think there's an NHL player there.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Kenins lacked a LOT of consistency last year and was hampered by injuries. He was unwilling and/or unable to continue to play the way that got him his initial look. 

Too bad, I really think there's an NHL player there.

Agree with this 100%, especially the last part. He absolutely has the ability to play in the NHL and its mind boggling how different he was as a player. I still wonder if maybe he was coached to play a different style; the one game I saw live last year, Kenins had a bunch of opportunities where he could've really leveled guys into the glass (cleanly, too) but he just stopped up short and avoided or gently bumped them. Which ended up being a recurring theme, sadly... in his first stint, he would've delivered those hits as hard as he could.

Kennins had a lot of injury time last year. I thought he had signed in the Swiss league. Hoping that Utica has a team that can contend for the Calder Cup with Kennins as a part of it. With all the signings his future with Van is more than iffy.

On 7/13/2016 at 9:13 PM, guntrix said:

He came back the next year and wasn't the same player.  He looked like he thought he was on the team.  Of course you have to keep proving it over and over.  Earning a spot actually means taking it from someone else by offering more to the team.  I loved Kenins, but he definitely does need to bring it every night.

Kenins is still a solid AHL player if he doesn't make the NHL roster. They're a ton of bodies upfront, but Kenins is worth signing. We have 44 contracts, Brisebois will slide so it's 43. Assuming we sign Pedan and Grenier, we're going to be at 45. I think we can sign Kenins at go up to 46 into the season, there's enough room for him in the middle six of the Comets' line-up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 5:18 PM, canuckledraggin said:

This post is all over the place. Yes our drafting has been God awful before Benning. That has forced him to take chances with free agents like Kenins and Zalewski, and take chances with trading away draft picks for more developed prospects to fill those holes. 

The players are responsible for their own development and if they can't cut it, they need to be let go. That's not to say that those players will never amount to anything, but from a scouting point of view they were found lacking. 

Jensen never accepted that he was going to need to be a bottom 6 guy to break into the NHL... Etem does.

Shinkaruk is a gifted goalscorer, but he hasn't been putting the time in the gym to survive in the NHL. His arms are like pencils and he gets clobbered along the boards. Granlund has a stud NHL brother and is close to making his national team at the world championship. He's also Finnish and I truly believe that the Finnish connection was no fluke when considering our place in the draft this year. I may be reaching with this next point, but I think that is the same reason that Benning gave up a 3rd for Pedan. A bi-lingual Russian that is also huge and plays defense, who can relate and interpret for Tryamkin.

Benning is playing chess not checkers.

Schroeder still has a shot, but he's the same player that Shinkaruk is. McCann will likely prove to be better than these guys, but Guddy is a goon D-man that we had to replace Bieksa with. 

Grenier has an outside chance, but he's a perfect 2-way contract guy like all of the signings that were made early in free agency. If it wasn't for that flimsy stick on that breakaway we might be talking about him in a different light, but they haven't given up on him.

Zalewski is a dark horse this year. If he makes another step even close to the one that he made last year, he becomes a Hansen, Weise, Burrows type. I really have never seen a player that made a jump like that in 1 season. I'm going to say he becomes a very difficult player to waive next year. The best thing to do with guys like this and Grenier is to waive them early when teams haven't figured out their rosters yet. It's the reason we got Markstrom through in 2014. 

Kenins will need to choose between the AHL and NLA I'm guessing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Europe unless he sees a fit for a team in the minors.

This team is way ahead of where it was 2 years ago when Benning took over. 

I think those who have watched Utica in the playoffs, and followed his progress over the years would agree with this statement. Zalewski has all the intangibles (size, puck skills, speed) to play a bottom six role in the NHL and is truly a crunch time performer. I am hoping he can make the a big step in point production this year. 

Cheers!

Archived