The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo

apollo

Thanks for mentioning me in your OP Apollo. You know I like you and yet at the same time we are on opposite ends of the Luongo spectrum. My question to you is, why exactly do you have so much faith in Luongo come playoff time? I know he's had some very excellent games which you did mention, but have you forgotten all of the games in which he was beaten like a rented mule?

I used to think Luongo was good enough to deliver a Stanley Cup to Vancouver all on his own, then Chicago happened in '09, my faith wavered only a little. Then Chicago happened again in '10, I still believed he was our guy. Chicago happened again in '11 and we did win, but were a goal away from being a laughingstock after building an "insurmountable" lead. I still had some belief left in the tank.

Of course then there was the SCF where Luongo picked the absolute worst time to become Jeckyll and Hyde. Yes he was magnificent in three games but he was equally horrifying in the other three, and the 7th game was absolutely nothing for him to write home about.

After all of that my faith in Luongo's playoff ability was completely shot. I'm tired of holding my breath whenever a shot is directed his way. I mentioned this in some other thread but the postseason Luongo rollercoaster has fried my nerves.

So Apollo, you and I are on a completely different wavelength as far as Luongo is concerned. You have an unshakable belief in Luongo's ability and my belief in him is long gone. That's not to say that Luongo couldn't earn my faith in him back, but it will have to wait until next playoffs.

I agree with the meltdown vs Chicago in 09 and such being Lu's fault, but Lu gave us a chance to win in 6 of the 7 games in the finals. It wasn't till after the first goal was scored against us in each game that we started to fall apart.

With Torts defensive system, we shouldn't have as many blowouts, which will greatly improve our chances come playoff time imo.

To add to that .... luongo got out goalies by Thomas. Thomas had probably the greatest if not ONE of the greatest 7 game SCF series of all time. Most saves in any scf... we just got unlucky.

Boston wasn't that good and it showed when they lost this year. Because Rask played terrific for them... but not god like flat out stealing games like Thomas did that year. Luongo was phenomenal that series but was simply out matched by Thomas who got hot at the right time.

Thomas 2 good seasons

Luongo 12+ ....

It happens in hockey ... sometimes a goalie comes out of no where and just has a good year or two.

Leclaire... Emery... Theodore... Leighton ... etc etc. To be good for over 10 years as a goalie is much more impressive than Thomas's one godlike playoffs. Maybe our shots were weak or maybe juliens system worked better.

I don't want to argue about the past.... I just want all our fans to support our players. Not just Lui; the likes of Edler, Kass, Kesler, etc...

Riviera again I see where u are coming from and yes here have been meltdowns. But what goalie doesn't have meltdowns. Roy... brodeur... even Crawford this playoff when he got roasted glove side .

If we believe in our team they'll achieve. This is going to be a Cinderella ending for us. Should we win the cup this year there will be a movie made about this run.... from the luongo story to the coaching to the sedins...

GO CANUCKS GO. I WILL ALWAYS BLEED BLUE.

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Greatest goalie in Canucks history. Hopefully he can look past the fairweather fandom and stay with Vancouver.

Sad that we have so many who are willing to throw him under the bus when the true issue with the team was lazy coaching and a porous defense. I mean, it's easy to blame a goalie for not stopping every shot but why are there so many shots getting through in the first place?

Riddle me that!

Yeah, I can say that I'm totally ok with how things panned out...I actually called that they would end up this way. In watching Lu today, he is pretty intensely focused. Never even looked to the crowd and it was all business....it would be so great if this crazy story ended up with Stanley Cup being hoisted over his head surrounded by his Vancouver teammates. This bunch really does deserve it.

Personally, i m just glad all the goalie drama is over. We now have a definite #1 who can concentrate on stopping pucks rather then looking over his shoulder at the competition. Lou is a pro who knows his role and will perform at the peak of his ability. I am confident that, given time, this dark episode will be left in the past where it belongs.

it makes perfect sense why. Canucks score 3 goals in each, then easily not all Luongo. Can't argue facts, 3 wins with 4 goals scored.

Can you honestly say 8 goals in 7 games is acceptable and enough to win a Stanley Cup? This won't even get you 4 regular season wins

Archived