Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shredder

Thoughts on Gillis

64 posts in this topic

So, after the whole goalie circus and a couple good picks at the draft with a somewhat solid prospect pool now (Shink, Horvat, Jensen, Subban, tommerness, Corrado, Gaunce, Mallet etc.) and a coaching change to give our boys that extra push, what are your thoughts abut GMMG?

He's the only other GM to lead us to a cup final, and I've got to say I've doubted the guy but he's been playing it smart with the whole Detroit mirroring ie. playing with vets, not pushing younger kids, like being a cup contender while collecting top scores for the future (potentially)

One of the best in the league. But consistency is boring and unless you keep it up for decades ala Ken Holland, you don't get the recognition for it. Refilling the cupboard with surprising speed turned some heads though. For all the talk of how Mayray was our only recent draftee to make the team, signings + draftees should make up a serious portion of the roster relatively soon. We're going to have to offload people relatively soon because we'll have such good depth.

For people that use his drafting as a big show of his ability to gm, i disagree. Canucks have many scouts, and Gillis takes into account what all of them say. His first few seasons weren't that successful from a drafting standpoint, but the last three seasons have been quite good for always picking past like 24 lol.

His big strength is his contract abilities. Tanev came in under than what most fans were expecting by 500-1m, we got garrison/hamhuis to such great deals.. (but yes we do lack that pietrangelo/keith/chara type guy.)

Imo his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. He made a deal for a rare type of player and Kassian has shown that ability to be a really good player in the NHL, and if he can get his consistency up, it'd help a lot. The ballard deal is the only one that makes me scratch my head but w/e

Suggest to Luo the goalie circus is over.

Gillis is a mixed bag.He hates the media and yet wants and exerts control.His draft record sucked and he shed draft picks like toothpicks in his first three years.He picked up good FA's and yet gave up on good young players.

I believe he has done a fairly good job but his communication skills suck and some of his people skills seriously lack.

At times he acts more like a lawyer than a priviliged human being with one of the best jobs on the planet.

It is less maddening to concentrate on the players and their year's work rather than the GM and/or the coach.

It takes a special GM to take what we could have been and just absolutely rip it apart.

We've been contenders every year so what do you expect when we're mostly drafting 20+ overall?

It's not every year that you get a 2003 draft.

We've been contenders every year so what do you expect when we're mostly drafting 20+ overall?

It's not every year that you get a 2003 draft.

He's the only other GM to lead us to a cup final, and I've got to say I've doubted the guy but he's been playing it smart ...

He does everything extremely well except for trading and not sweating.

Gillis effed up on our goalies. I still have faith in our team as it is. I hope his Sedin extension is a good one. I don't doubt it will be reasonable

For people that use his drafting as a big show of his ability to gm, i disagree. Canucks have many scouts, and Gillis takes into account what all of them say. His first few seasons weren't that successful from a drafting standpoint, but the last three seasons have been quite good for always picking past like 24 lol.

His big strength is his contract abilities. Tanev came in under than what most fans were expecting by 500-1m, we got garrison/hamhuis to such great deals.. (but yes we do lack that pietrangelo/keith/chara type guy.)

Imo his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. He made a deal for a rare type of player and Kassian has shown that ability to be a really good player in the NHL, and if he can get his consistency up, it'd help a lot. The ballard deal is the only one that makes me scratch my head but w/e

Drafting is getting better but his trading ability is pretty bad.

I don't think MG is a very good GM. A few of his bright spots could of been done with any GM

Signing Hamhuis, The Sedins, Garrison - any GM could of. They all wanted to play here anyways.

Drafting is getting better but his trading ability is pretty bad.

I don't think MG is a very good GM. A few of his bright spots could of been done with any GM

Signing Hamhuis, The Sedins, Garrison - any GM could of. They all wanted to play here anyways.