#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
Healthy. No other word is as important to Ryan Kesler as this one to start the season. #Canucks

Healthy.

No other word is as important to Ryan Kesler as that one to start this season.

After scoring 41 goals in 82 games in 2011, he's had 26 over the last two seasons. Injuries can do that to a player's stats. The body can heal, but the mind needs to be there as well, and with Kesler, he's finally healthy from head to toe.

People seem to forget that from 2008 until the end of 2011, Kesler didn't miss a regular season game. As well, he only missed four in 2012. But after a season last year that some Canucks are calling "embarrassing", most players took some time off after a stunningly quick exit from the playoffs to let their bodies rest and recuperate because of 48 games played over 99 days BEFORE the playoffs.

Kesler was back on the ice after one week.

Doing two-a-days on his own.

He also took the time to painstakingly rehab all his joints, to slowly prepare them for his hardest summer of training. It's paid off. He says he can't remember feeling as good as he does now.

In wanting to go forward he's also taking a page out of the past. Gone is the Bauer stick and skates he's used for the past few years as this year it will be Easton. He's used that brand before and he's going to again.

With a new stick, a modified curve (he's taken some of the bend out), and instruction from a professional shooting coach paid for out-of-pocket, Kesler is leaving nothing to chance as he enters his 10th season as a Canuck.

There is an argument to be made that the better Kesler plays, the more the Sedins benefit, instead of vice-versa. In looking back at his career year of 2011, teams were altering their defensive deployment and putting their top pairing out against Kesler's line, freeing up the Sedins to toy with any team's second pair. It worked.

With the possibility of playing alongside the most versatile Canuck on the roster in Alex Burrows, the Canucks will once again be able to boast two strong duo's within their top six. With those two players linked to the rise of the Canucks following their promotion from the Manitoba Moose in 2006, their time is now.

Yes, the chip on Kesler's shoulder is broader and more menacing, and the passion to win and the hatred of losing is probably only matched by new coach John Tortorella. If ever there was a coach that meshed with Kesler's mindset, it's the one he'll play for this season.

So whether it’s Beast-mode, Kesler 2.0, or Assistant Captain America – Ryan Kesler is determined to succeed this hockey season, and he's certainly healthy to do so.

Great to hear he's had a real focus on preparing his body for the rigours of an NHL season and been able to do it over a full summer. I don't know if he'll ever hit his career highs of a few years ago again, but I certainly look for him to have a big year if he gets the right line support.

And on a side note, did any notice he cut his hair and got rid of the 'wings' he's had for a few years now? There's a pic of it in the article (click the link in the first quote). I was wondering if anyone was going to tell him that didn't look very good or if he figured it out on his own.

Edited by elvis15, 15 September 2013 - 11:03 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year.

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Cup.

comeundone.gif

#3 Kassassinate

Kassassinate

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

This season is deffinatly going to be exciting, lots of people thinking our window is closing or has closed, but that just adds fire to Kes who everyone knows is a passionate SOB. No doubt that there is great potential for us to win it, just have to do it. This city/team deserves a cup for all the team has been through. Do it for ryp and luc!

#4 BurrsArrows

BurrsArrows

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

I agree with Kassassinate, with everything they have been through, the hate and drama over the past few years could be what pushes them, especially Kesler over the edge to be hungrier than ever and bring home a cup.

#5 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'm def gonna grab him in my hockey pool. He's gonna have a beast year as long as he stays healthy. Very excited for the season to start now that its so close!!
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#6 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

If I was a betting man if bet a lot on kess not being healthy for the compleat season and more on him playing injured and not as productive in the playoffs. The past tells more then you need to know if you pay attention to it.

#7 redhdlois

redhdlois

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Really looking forward to seeing an even more motivated Kesler....if there is such a beast ! Go Canucks!

#8 redhdlois

redhdlois

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

If I was a betting man if bet a lot on kess not being healthy for the compleat season and more on him playing injured and not as productive in the playoffs. The past tells more then you need to know if you pay attention to it.

I completely (note spelling) don't agree with you !

#9 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

I have a strong feeling Kesler will be in beast mode this hockey season.
Posted Image

#10 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

A healthy Kesler and a Kassian who can play top 6 minutes makes this team better than the teams of the last two years.

#11 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

inb4 Vintage posts a link to a previous story of this thread

Edited by Warhippy, 15 September 2013 - 01:16 PM.

CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#12 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

I completely (note spelling) don't agree with you !

How could you not agree that he's injury prone, I don't get it? Your just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. Thumbs up to you!!

Edit: you may not like to think its a strong possibility but c'mon.

Edited by Nino, 15 September 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#13 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

If big Kass produces the way he should with the twins, and Kes is healthy and just as good, if not better than before, then our offense will be loaded. From what I hear, Higgins and Hansen are as good as ever, and of course Burrows is going to produce. The real x factor is Booth who I think, as long as he stays healthy, he will be a significant force to be dealt with. Next year is looking bright.
21bj6s4.jpg

Credit to: Vintage Canuck

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

How could you not agree that he's injury prone, I don't get it? Your just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. Thumbs up to you!!

Well, if you want to talk about the past being a predictor of the future, then you have to also consider the fact that Kesler only missed 4 regular season games from 2008-2012. He's had 4 seasons of 82 full games, plus one each of 77, 78 and 80. That's not bad at all.

He had hip surgery in 2007 and the broken finger, costing him half the 06/07 season and part of the playoffs, and of course last year he had recovery from the shoulder surgery and the broken foot, but that's the only things that cost him regular season games. Other than that he's had to heal in the off-season from playoff injuries.

Sure, he's played injured in the playoffs, but so have a lot of players. Also, a number of top level players haven't been very productive in the playoffs, particularly the finals. The odds are in your favour that a player's production will drop and he'll be carrying some bumps and bruises at least, but Kesler's history actually points to him playing at least most of a full season.

He could be injured at some point, but to discount someone's opinion that it's not a strong possibility is certainly more on you than us.

Edited by elvis15, 15 September 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#15 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

A healthy Kesler is a scary Kesler.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#16 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Well, if you want to talk about the past being a predictor of the future, then you have to also consider the fact that Kesler only missed 4 regular season games from 2008-2012. He's had 4 seasons of 82 full games, plus one each of 77, 78 and 80. That's not bad at all.

He had hip surgery in 2007 and the broken finger, costing him half the 06/07 season and part of the playoffs, and of course last year he had recovery from the shoulder surgery and the broken foot, but that's the only things that cost him regular season games. Other than that he's had to heal in the off-season from playoff injuries.

Sure, he's played injured in the playoffs, but so have a lot of players. Also, a number of top level players haven't been very productive in the playoffs, particularly the finals. The odds are in your favour that a player's production will drop and he'll be carrying some bumps and bruises at least, but Kesler's history actually points to him playing at least most of a full season.

He could be injured at some point, but to discount someone's opinion that it's not a strong possibility is certainly more on you than us.

Your sugar coating it, he's had more then his share of injurys and his games missed to injury is increasing along with his age (as it should). Add to that he plays a style that is not easy on his body and it all leads to a great possibility of kess getting injured again this year.

#17 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

While kes has been injury prone the last few years I think he is over that.. Having a full off season to train and get stronger will help prevent injuries plus Kesler didn't miss any games for like 3-4 seasons before he got Hurt in 2011 vs the sharks. You gotta have faith cuz a healthy Kesler will go a long way in van winnin the cup
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

Your sugar coating it, he's had more then his share of injurys and his games missed to injury is increasing along with his age (as it should). Add to that he plays a style that is not easy on his body and it all leads to a great possibility of kess getting injured again this year.

Sure he's been injured, but your statement was that you could bet a lot on him missing time in the regular season so you think there's so a high probability of winning said bet on all three counts (including playing injured and not being as productive in the playoffs) using his history as a predictor. Well, my point is there's a significant enough predictor at least that he could play most if not all of the regular season games based on that same history.

If you want to try and prove "he's had more then his share of injurys" using facts to back it up and comparisons to at least the average NHL player then go right ahead, but don't expect much support that he is all but guaranteed to miss regular season games with injury based on two of his eight and a half NHL seasons.

#19 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Kesler talked at great length about how he's worked on the mental side of his game over the summer. He's focused on not playing with as much emotion and avoiding the types of situations he has put himself in in the past where he got injured.

In an earlier post you suggested we take a look at the past to try and explain Kes' future behavior. This makes sense to me to, but the results are entirely opposite of what you suggest. Kesler rarely misses games if you look at his total NHL career:

Kesler has had nine full pro seasons (1 AHL, 8 NHL).

Year 1: Missed 4 games
Year 2: Full season
Year 3: Missed 34 games
Year 4: Missed 2 games
Year 5: Full season
Year 6: Full season
Year 7: Full season
Year 8: Missed five games
Year 9: Missed 31 games

So, in total, Kes has missed an average of 8 regular season games per year. If you exclude last year, he averaged 5 missed regular season games.

Injuries that have derailed an entire season appear to be the exception, not the rule for Kesler.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#20 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yup, that was my point too. I only pointed it out after he ridiculed another poster for having an opposite opinion. If he wants to use history as a predictor for this year, he's the one that's off base versus the rest of us.

#21 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

#22 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Kesler talked at great length about how he's worked on the mental side of his game over the summer. He's focused on not playing with as much emotion and avoiding the types of situations he has put himself in in the past where he got injured.

In an earlier post you suggested we take a look at the past to try and explain Kes' future behavior. This makes sense to me to, but the results are entirely opposite of what you suggest. Kesler rarely misses games if you look at his total NHL career:

Kesler has had nine full pro seasons (1 AHL, 8 NHL).

So, in total, Kes has missed an average of 8 regular season games per year. If you exclude last year, he averaged 5 missed regular season games.

Injuries that have derailed an entire season appear to be the exception, not the rule for Kesler.

Are you people really trying to argue that Ryan isn't injury prone? Lol... Lol...

#23 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Are you people really trying to argue that Ryan isn't injury prone? Lol... Lol...

Are you really trying to ridicule others for saying your opinion about his likelihood of getting injured again is wrong when using past seasons as a predictor?

If you think he's injury prone, fine, but don't use past seasons as your evidence. Feel free to come up with facts about the number and length of his injuries to show us that he is more injury prone than the average NHL'er as I mentioned before to support that side of your argument that he's likely to be injured again this year.

Edited by elvis15, 16 September 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#24 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm just presenting evidence that he his past isn't as injury prone as people argue, given that he's played a number of full seasons as a pro. Not sure what you're trying to do, other than make claims with, not only no evidence to support it, but in fact made in the presence of evidence that suggests that opposite.

If it were me, I'd feel pretty sheepish to say someone has been plagued by injury in the past and then have actual evidence indicating the exact opposite.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#25 kassian 09

kassian 09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

10 min 1st....

#26 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm just presenting evidence that he his past isn't as injury prone as people argue, given that he's played a number of full seasons as a pro. Not sure what you're trying to do, other than make claims with, not only no evidence to support it, but in fact made in the presence of evidence that suggests that opposite.

If it were me, I'd feel pretty sheepish to say someone has been plagued by injury in the past and then have actual evidence indicating the exact opposite.

I'm not sure if this is a joke? Your asking me to find evidence he has had injury problems?

#27 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 28,091 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

He is so totally committed to this thing...really pulling for him to have a great year. Had a moment at camp where he took a hit a little awkwardly...I winced in seeing him do so. He is so invaluable to this team and when he's off, it has a trickle down effect.

A true professional athlete in every sense of the word. He's up there in my top 3.

He is not "injury prone"....he plays a really hard, physical style that involves risk of injury as a result. He's fully engaged in the trenches and not on the perimeter. Happens. Injury prone is picking up a cracker stuff....

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#28 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Give it up, Nino. DBTR's stats back it up.

What part don't you get?

#29 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

With Keslers robust style. He will no doubt be injured or play hurt throughout the year. He has to be more aware out there and pick his spots better. Like trying not to run guys over that have 30 lbs on him. (Douglas Murrey)
jersey collection.jpg

#30 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,325 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'm not sure if this is a joke? Your asking me to find evidence he has had injury problems?

You could look at it that way, or you could look at it that we're telling you the evidence you are using is contrary to your conclusion that he's injury prone. Feel free to use other evidence besides the amount of games missed in previous seasons to prove it if you feel you still have a case and want to debate it though.

A solid first effort from him last night though. He'll surely be a big part of our team's chances and him being able to stay mostly healthy will be important if we want to do well. Tortorella will certainly appreciate his style of play and use him a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.