The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT: Around the NHL Week Of September (16-20) 2013 (Pre-Season)

It actually hurts watching him play. I was really looking forward to watching him in almost every game for the Canucks. Since I'm a goalie too I was hoping to learn from him as he's one of the most technically sound goalies in the league. It is just so shocking that he's not a Canuck anymore.

I'm glad he did well. Who knows, he might even take the starter's job away from Brodeur. Wouldn't be the first time he's upstages an Olympic gold medalist!

Good for schnieds and I'm happy he's in NJ. I have always loved that team because of Marty and how hard they played as a 'team'. Nice to see them get Marty 2.0.

Sad to see him gone, now lets just be patient with BoHo and in a couple of years perhaps we'll look back and say, "well we gave up alot but we got a heck of a player back"...

I think that will be the case. BoHo has looked pretty good for an 18 yr old kid, ya he wasn't as noticable last night but lets not forget he's 18!! Same with gaunce and my oh my, Schinkaruk, even surprised me the cynic!

Our future looks pretty bright, and it will take 4-5 years to get those three to take over the reigns and be the 'next wave'...and by that time Schnieds would have been 31/32 anyways...so really we're not worse off, if anything perhaps given our window better off because we are re-stocked for when Lou is slowing..

Panthers president addresses lightly attended preseason game:

Florida Panthers executive Michael Yormark reached out to Puck Daddy to explain the widely mocked attendance for Monday afternoon’s preseason game against the Nashville Predators, which still requires this shot for context and a little shock value:

Like Brown said earlier, Yormark told Puck Daddy that the main function of the exhibition is for scouts to evaluate talent rather than for fans to fill the building. He admitted that “the day game attendance is not as high as we would like,” but described the doubleheader as a “unique opportunity for our fans.”

The most interesting tidbits came when the outspoken front office member said that ticket sales are generally looking up, at least compared to the abbreviated 2013 campaign.

“ … However, in no way does today’s attendance reflect our expectation for the upcoming season,” Yorkmark wrote. “In fact, we fully expect an opening night sellout, our new full season equivalent ticket sales are up 41-percent over last year and we also expect the 2013-14 season to be the fourth consecutive year in which we see an average home attendance increase at the BB&T Center.”

That 41-percent mark might be a little misleading because of the likely damage that came from the lockout, yet it still is a nice figure for Florida to point to.

Does any of this totally erase the embarrassment of such a scant crowd? Probably not, but it doesn’t seem like the Panthers were completely shocked by sparse attendance of an exhibition with little selling power, either.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/16/panthers-president-addresses-lightly-attended-preseason-game/

Chicago’s Hossa (upper body) to miss next four games:

Injury reports continue to roll in across the NHL.

This time, it’s Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa — on Thursday, the club announced he’d miss their next four preseason games after re-aggravating an upper-body injury.

The ‘Hawks play tonight against the Penguins, Friday against the Capitals, Sunday against the Red Wings and then Monday against the Penguins (again).

Based on the four-game window, Hossa could theoretically return for Chicago’s final two exhibition games next week, but the club has stated he’s “expected” to be ready for the start of the regular season on Oct. 1.

As for the injury?

It’s unclear exactly what Hossa tweaked. The 34-year-old missed time last year with an upper-body injury (including Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final) and, afterward, reports surfaced of him dealing with a bad back throughout the playoffs.

Injuries have been a part of Hossa’s deal since joining Chicago in 2009. He’s missed over 50 games with upper-body, shoulder and concussion issues.

In other Chicago injury news, prospect Brandon Pirri left practice on Thursday with a lower-body injury, an ailment that’s dogged him throughout training camp. Pirri, 22, led AHL Rockford in scoring last year and was pegged as a potential replacement at center for Dave Bolland, sent to Toronto at the NHL Entry Draft.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/19/chicagos-hossa-upper-body-to-miss-next-four-games/

Isles’ Gallant, Devils’ Barch find a way around fighting without helmets penalty:

The NHL has its heart in the right place by trying to force players to keep their helmets on during fights, but as Puck Daddy points out, it looks like enforcers found a way around such inconveniences.

During Thursday’s preseason game, New York Islanders enforcer Brett Gallant and New Jersey Devils tough guy Krys Barch fought three times, but that wasn’t the biggest deal. Instead, the most interesting part was that the two fighters took each others’ helmets off, exposing a loophole in Rule 46.6., which hands out a two-minute misconduct if a player removes his own lid before a squabble.

It’s likely that the league will close that up soon enough, but the interesting question may be: how long will it take? (Not to mention the risks involved if both fighters aren’t in on the “deal.”)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/19/fight-no-helmets/

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Archived