The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Thomas to Panthers

zombieksa

Was a rumor before, now looking official so new thread started.

Joe Haggerty@HackswithHaggs8m

Swing State RT @hfialkov: A source just told Sun Sentinel that Panthers are Tim Thomas' top option and news should break today. #FlaPanthers

Thomas Drance@ThomasDrance14m

Tim Thomas expected to join Panthers on professional tryout http://beta.thescore.com/news/292573

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie28m

FLA just working thru final insurance issues and if all goes as expected today, Tim Thomas will be back on the ice with the Panthers.

One final insult to Strombone1.

And I'm just stating how it's not ironic until he signs with them for a high priced deal and plays well enough for Florida to forget passing up on Lu. That says Florida wanted Thomas of all people even over Luongo just because of the term and what they would have had to give up in trade.

It's more likely that Florida will only be able to bring him in if he signs for less. That doesn't speak to just how good he'll be on a young team that needs defensive help after a year off, but that's another story. Thomas is a gamble, but at a good enough price (aka low salary) he wouldn't be that bad for a team that needs the help and could be a risk worth taking over trading assets to get a goalie on a long term contract who still has a $6.7M salary for the next 5 years.

Maybe Florida loses it and he signs for a higher amount, but he's still a gamble at any price until he shows how well he can play over a full season.

Hmm I don't know TT on a one year low risk/high reward contract or Luo on a 9yr term? we give up 0 prospects for Timmy. We are rebuilding so it's not like we're reaching for the stars here. Marky gets a proven "winning" mentor with a lovely trophy case, at the age of only 23. Only difference here is we don't have to trade our future goaltender at the end of it all ;)

Hmm I don't know TT on a one year low risk/high reward contract or Luo on a 9yr term? we give up 0 prospects for Timmy. We are rebuilding so it's not like we're reaching for the stars here. Marky gets a proven "winning" mentor with a lovely trophy case, at the age of only 23. Only difference here is we don't have to trade our future goaltender at the end of it all ;)

It has nothing to do with Boston, 2011 or the loss. But I have never really been a fan of Tim Thomas, not even when he was playing in Finland. Now with that ridiculous beard of his, I dislike him even more. And I rarely come out and say I dislike a player or any other person for that matter. But Tim Thomas is one of those guys I can't stand. Mainly because of that ego and the byproducts coming out of his mouth.

I had hoped he'd take another year off and calls it a career.

(A heck of a goalie with good stats and all, but other than that, yuck)

He was an impressive goalie, but I can't stand him as a person. I think he's a loudmouth coward who's fine with all of the posturing and gum flapping, as long as he's got the upper hand. Like hitting Hank (or Danny?) knowing full well he couldn't hit him back. That's a coward move. And then to pretend he was defending himself because he was constantly being bumped into! Yeah, because a Sedin coming in alone on a breakaway while you have 2 Bruins defenders in front of him is a really threatening situation. :rolleyes:

Out of the game, he disrespected his team and his country by refusing to go to the White House and meet his president. Whether he voted for him or not, he is the President and that office deserves respect! Anyone who claims to care about his country should know that. And it's not like anyone would ever think going to the White House as a part of a winning sports team was endorsing anything.

He also likes to run his mouth about whatever dumb idea falls out of it, but then gets mad whenever anyone else exercises their free speech and says something back, even going so far as to remove any and all comments that weren't kissing his arse from his Facebook page, which he lied and said was "private" despite the fact that it was viewable by the public and all of the photos showed him playing for Boston, holding the Cup, or in some other professional situation. There were no personal pics nor any personal references. I can respect what he accomplished as a goalie, but as a person I think he's a lying coward and full of sh*t.

So, as petty as it is, I gotta be honest. I hope he can't save a leftover cookie and gets sent home quickly. He can't hold a candle to the amount of class Luo has.

He won't do well at all in Florida. He plays too far out of his crease to cut down the angle, and sprawls to recover. He won't have the Boston Bruins defense to bail him out. I would be surprised if he gets a GAA of 3.5 or less with Florida. A year off is never a good move, especially as a goalie. He'll have a tough time getting back into his regular game shape, ie. stamina, endurance, agility, flexibility, and reaction speed. This is just my opinion, but I don't think he'll last long there, most likely just until Clemmensen gets back.

Archived