Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

GDT/PGT | Sept. 16/13 | San Jose Vs. Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SNET-P | Pre-Season |

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#811 Visp

Visp

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

I was at the game too, two guys that stood out:

Yannick Weber- I thought he had a great game. Great presence out there and looked so ready to unleash the shot but never got the chance. Looked more physical than I remember. IMO one of the most noticeable defenceman.

Andrew Alberts- TERRIBLE game, gave the puck away every time he touched it, got stupid penalties and looked slow.. I've always defended this guy but seriously nowadays I would take Weber or Corrado for the 6th spot any day of the week!

#812 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,052 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

I liked Cannata, I liked Lack, both were good. I really think Cannata could give Eriksson a tough time to grab that starters spot. Its just as much his as it is Eriksson's IMO, he may even be better than Eriksson. I liked what I saw from him tonight, you can really see how much he has improved since turning pro.

Horvat, Shinkaruk & Gaunce had there moments, it was good games from those guys, Jensen didn't do much, but there was some solid effort there, just gotta translate it into some success,

Kesler looked good, I think it will be a good year for him.

Hamhuis again showed why he's one of our most valuable players.

Tommernes looked good, he's soaring up my list of our top prospects, I think he may see some games this year.

Corrado is ready for the NHL. I really like what we have there, I envision him wearing an 'A' in the future and being a strong, important 2-3 guy somewhere down the line.

There were some real bright spots tonight, can't wait to see Schroeder play in our next one! :)

I have to admit I missed some of the game dealing with my sick dog but in what I did see Tommernes had at least one brutal giveaway and generally looked lost out there.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#813 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

The people who think Gaunce disappeared or was invisible all night need to look deeper into the game. The kid was never, ever out of position, in either end.........I think he was the best defensive player for either team last night, and he was good offensively. I think the thing that surprised me the most was his vision. He had a couple of sneaky plays last night, but the sauce to the third layer player sneaking in back door was something you can't teach someone. He's going to be a great player and a great leader on this team. The big 4 prospects are all going to be very good I think.

Lack was a rock, but man, I was pleasantly surprised with Cannata........he's really gone mostly unnoticed. He might never amount to more than an AHL starter or NHL backup, but he did a great job last night.

I like Gaunce's game. I didn't think he would stick initially but have to rethink that. My concern would be him on the 4th line and not getting enough ice time. Last night was a joke at 10 minutes. Corrado: He is supposed to be at 205 pounds but I saw him bounced a couple of times which surprised me. Archibald: I like this kid. Size and good hands. If he hadn't spent so much time in Kallamazo last year instead of Chicago I would give him more of a chance at making the 4th line. Half a season in Utica and he might challenge.

#814 LimitedEdition

LimitedEdition

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

I was really hoping we'd see some of the young guys step up and make themselves noticable, the only player that did that was Shinkaurk. A few thoughts:

Shinkaruk: Besides his gorgeous goal, I was impressed with his mix of skill and grit. I noticed him on multiple shifts - of all the young players I think he's raised his stock the most.

Gaunce: Looks tentative and one dimensional. Seems to always make safe plays and doesn't look like he wants the puck on his stick. I hardly noticed him out there, I wasn't impressed. He doesn't look like a first rounder that has had a year of seasoning after his draft year. His skating is average at best.

Horvat: Only noticed him on one shift with a good burst of speed down the wing, I was impressed with his speed on that particular play. Other than that he was mostly invisible but didn't look out of place. I was hoping for more out of him. I was surprised he didn't look bigger out there - he's listed at 6'0 and 206 lbs which isn't massive, but I thought he looked smallish.

Jensen: Completely invisible, didn't have an impact on the game at all. This was the guy I was hoping to step up the most and play his way onto the team. Very disappointed.

Tommernes: I was impressed with this guy, he seems to be a good late round pick. Good positionally and confident with the puck. A year or two in the AHL and he could be a solid 5 or 6 d-man.

Lack: Looked really good and didn't seem to have any lingering effects from his hip injury. He's a big body that covers a lot of the net and is good positionally. I didn't feel he was overly quick, but because of his strengths he doesn't need to be.

Corrado: Played a very good game and is good positionally. Confident with the puck and defending in his own zone. Apparently he put on soome muscle in the off season but he did get roughed up on numerous occasions. I think he's a favourite for the 6th defensman spot on the team but he still needs to get stronger. He reminds me of Tanev. I'd like to see him play with a bit more of an edge. I'm being picky though, I liked what I saw from him.

#815 Drakrami

Drakrami

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

I kind of find that about Shinkaruk too LOL. He has the kind of cheeky grin that makes you want to clock him in the face. Good thing he's on our team so I won't have to worry about that.

What, hes supposed to frown all day? Hes just 18 years old, still a kid. There's nothing wrong with his grin.

#816 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

the no call on the elbow to alberts' head was a blown call....the instigator on Sestito was questionable and so was the singling out of Burrows late in the third.

I'd agree on the first two. Burrows deserved his, but the Shark (I can't remember who) who threw a punch should have got one too.

#817 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

AND LASTLY, Shinkaruk should replace Booth!!! There's no way DB7 could do what HS9 did on that goal ::D

It was a nice shot for sure. It's preseaon, though, so it's hard to read too much into it just yet (his overall play said more to me than picking the spot on a slightly out of position rusty goalie).

#818 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

What, hes supposed to frown all day? Hes just 18 years old, still a kid. There's nothing wrong with his grin.

Yeah, he's just a kid - the whole experience for him must be surreal - of course he should be enjoying it.

#819 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

Gaunce: Looks tentative and one dimensional. Seems to always make safe plays and doesn't look like he wants the puck on his stick. I hardly noticed him out there, I wasn't impressed. He doesn't look like a first rounder that has had a year of seasoning after his draft year. His skating is average at best.

Really, technically in my mind he didn't have an extra year. He was hurt quite a bit when the NHL went into a lockout which erased training camps and preseason games from the schedule, which IMO is crucial for a player's development. To prepare to get to the next level, you need a taste of what to expect and work on to get there, and Gaunce didn't get that chance last year.

Essentially, I see him on equal footing with Shinkaruk in terms of development - although drafted a year later, Shinkaruk is a late-1994 (hence the same age as Gaunce with same amount of years in CHL as Gaunce) and will be turning pro after this season. For both players, this is their first glimpse at the NHL.

Had Gaunce had a glimpse last season to learn what he specifically needs to work on to make it at the next level by playing a few games against NHLers, I think Gaunce could have been ready this year - but he didn't have the opportunity and is not ready.

And Shinkaruk is just the better player - had he been draft eligible in 2012, he would have been a top-10 pick and arguably top-5 (49 goal-scorer in the WHL). So the lack of training camp means Gaunce is essentially on the same page as Shinkaruk, but Shinkaruk is just better prepared and is further along at this point.

I expect Gaunce to be NHL ready by next season now that he's seen what he's missing to make the jump.

Horvat? Well, he is lucky that he has what Gaunce was robbed of - a training camp at age 18. Had Gaunce had a training camp last season, he could have been ready this year. I see the same for Horvat - since he had training camp this year, I could see him work on specific things and make the team as a 19-year-old next season.

#820 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

WARNING: The following is a very long post that is chalked full of optimism. ;)

Pretty impressive stat line for Shinkaruk last game: http://www.nhl.com/s...14/ES010020.HTM

Played 21:44 TOI, including 6:45 PPTOI and 14:59 EVTOI (0:00 SHTOI). He was the highest minutes forward on the team at even strength, as he played the full game with Kes and Burr on the 1st line and was also double shifted while Sestito served his misconduct. His 6:45 on the power play was second only to Kesler.

Hunter was credited for directing a total of 7 shots on goal (but 4 of these attempts were blocked). He was the most active player on the team, by far, in terms of shooting events (Corsi).

His goal speaks for itself. He also picked-up an additional +1 for being on the ice (and in the play) on Gaunce's goal, leaving him with a team high +2 for the night (he had zero on-ice goals against).

Was credited for only one hit (contact leading to separation from the puck) but he played a surprisingly physical game. He was a bit of a banger last night, coming in hard on the forecheck and repeatedly initiated contact with opposing defenseman (especially in the offensive zone behind the net). He definitely has more agitation to his game than I initially thought (and we've seen this on display since the start of Young Stars Tourney) and it seems like he might even fit pretty well with Kesler and Burrows' as an additional pest option on that line (if they end up playing their old "Frick'n'Frack" style). He seems to actually relish this part of the game and given his energy and enthusiam, I'm interested to see how far he can take things in that direction (obviously without going too far and without taking away from his bread-and-butter offensive skill game).

Shinkaruk often appeared to play significantly bigger than he actually is (John Garrett made some funny comments about Hunts being one of the Canucks' "big and strong" forwards--I'll agree that the "strong" part was actually on display during a couple shifts but Shinkaruk isn't "big" except compared to Cheech--and even questioned Shinkaruk's height and weight as listed in his broadcast notes, seemingly convinced that Hunter is much bigger than he's been officially charted).

It was only one game, but Hunter certainly looked capable of handling the physical grind that's required to play in the NHL. He did not appear intimidated at all (with the physical side of the game--he did seem a little overwhelmed with the occasion during the early minutes and it took a while for his emotions to settle down) and he seems to be the kind of player who "gives as good at he gets" when it comes to the physical side of the game (which is very encouraging IMHO). Different players, to be sure, but there've been moments during the past couple weeks (including last night) when Shinkaruk's feistiness has reminded me a little of how a young Pavel Bure used to approach the physical side of the NHL game.

Hunter's performance definitely eased some of my concerns about his current size. Hunts is going to still get bigger as he gets older but he already seems to be further ahead physically than many of his critics have suggested. While he's definitely undersized (currently) for the NHL, it didn't look (at least last night) like he should have any significant issues playing against bigger opponents.

His game wasn't all roses however. Early in the contest, he looked a bit lost on a couple shifts and it took him a while to really settle in. He made a couple poor reads and he lost on a couple gambles that left him briefly out of position and created on-man situations that his teammates needed to cover for. Some of that you just have to live with as Shinkaruk needs to take risks (in one case, he nearly created a steal that would have led to a high grade scoring chance) in order to fully reap the rewards he's capable of creating offensively.

All in all, it was a pretty impressive night. Once Shinkaruk settled down, he didn't look out of place in an NHL (albeit preseason) top-six role playing with Kesler and Burrows on that game's first line. It's still a longshot for him to actually make this Canucks' 2013-14 roster but he added some more points to the "pro" column last night. Hopefully he continues to perform well and we'll see where things stand once the rest of the preseason has played out.

#821 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

I was at the game too, two guys that stood out:

Yannick Weber- I thought he had a great game. Great presence out there and looked so ready to unleash the shot but never got the chance. Looked more physical than I remember. IMO one of the most noticeable defenceman.

Andrew Alberts- TERRIBLE game, gave the puck away every time he touched it, got stupid penalties and looked slow.. I've always defended this guy but seriously nowadays I would take Weber or Corrado for the 6th spot any day of the week!

I noticed the same thing too... I've always tried supporting Albert's just cuz he's a beaut and tough but he always disappoints.

Weber just needs to get open on the Point and hopefully release some bombs on that PP
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#822 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,914 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Really, technically in my mind he didn't have an extra year. He was hurt quite a bit when the NHL went into a lockout which erased training camps and preseason games from the schedule, which IMO is crucial for a player's development. To prepare to get to the next level, you need a taste of what to expect and work on to get there, and Gaunce didn't get that chance last year.

Essentially, I see him on equal footing with Shinkaruk in terms of development - although drafted a year later, Shinkaruk is a late-1994 (hence the same age as Gaunce with same amount of years in CHL as Gaunce) and will be turning pro after this season. For both players, this is their first glimpse at the NHL.

Had Gaunce had a glimpse last season to learn what he specifically needs to work on to make it at the next level by playing a few games against NHLers, I think Gaunce could have been ready this year - but he didn't have the opportunity and is not ready.

And Shinkaruk is just the better player - had he been draft eligible in 2012, he would have been a top-10 pick and arguably top-5 (49 goal-scorer in the WHL). So the lack of training camp means Gaunce is essentially on the same page as Shinkaruk, but Shinkaruk is just better prepared and is further along at this point.

I expect Gaunce to be NHL ready by next season now that he's seen what he's missing to make the jump.

Horvat? Well, he is lucky that he has what Gaunce was robbed of - a training camp at age 18. Had Gaunce had a training camp last season, he could have been ready this year. I see the same for Horvat - since he had training camp this year, I could see him work on specific things and make the team as a 19-year-old next season.

gaunce is, in my mind, the most complete player of the three. People really need to watch the game.........he played an almost perfect technical game last night and showed real glimpses of his creativity. I have no doubt that he could slide seamlessly into the lineup this year based solely on the strength of his disciplined game.

#823 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Funny. I guess it takes a hardcore fan to be so definitive about players after the 1st pre-season game. But remember it's an evaluation of players. Not a real game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches were evaluating Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis, Lack etc.. more than (what fans consider) the new players last night.

IDK if anybody caught the post-game with Sullivan (he sounds really intelligent BTW) but he mentioned that they haven't practiced the PK yet. Sullivan mentioned how impressed he was with the kill on the 5-on-3. He sounded somewhat surprised how well Kesler and Burrows were defensively.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#824 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Pretty impressive stat line for Shinkaruk last game: http://www.nhl.com/s...14/ES010020.HTM

Played 21:44 TOI, including 6:45 PPTOI and 14:59 EVTOI (0:00 SHTOI). He was the highest minutes forward on the team at even strength, as he played the full game with Kes and Burr on the 1st line and was also double shifted while Sestito served his misconduct. His 6:45 on the power play was second only to Kesler.

Hunter was credited for directing a total of 7 shots on goal (but 4 of these attempts were blocked). He was the most active player on the team, by far, in terms of shooting events (Corsi).

His goal speaks for itself. He also picked-up an additional +1 for being on the ice (and in the play) on Gaunce's goal, leaving him with a team high +2 for the night (he had zero on-ice goals against).

Was credited for only one hit (contact leading to separation from the puck) but he played a surprisingly physical game. He was a bit of a banger last night, coming in hard on the forecheck and repeatedly initiated contact with opposing defenseman (especially in the offensive zone behind the net). He definitely has more agitation to his game than I initially thought (and we've seen this on display since the start of Young Stars Tourney) and it seems like he might even fit pretty well with Kesler and Burrows' as an additional pest option on that line (if they end up playing their old "Frick'n'Frack" style). He seems to actually relish this part of the game and given his energy and enthusiam, I'm interested to see how far he can take things in that direction (obviously without going too far and without taking away from his bread-and-butter offensive skill game).

Shinkaruk often appeared to play significantly bigger than he actually is (John Garrett made some funny comments about Hunts being one of the Canucks' "big and strong" forwards--I'll agree that the "strong" part was actually on display during a couple shifts but Shinkaruk isn't "big" except compared to Cheech--and even questioned Shinkaruk's height and weight as listed in his broadcast notes, seemingly convinced that Hunter is much bigger than he's been officially charted).

It was only one game, but Hunter certainly looked capable of handling the physical grind that's required to play in the NHL. He did not appear intimidated at all (with the physical side of the game--he did seem a little overwhelmed with the occasion during the early minutes and it took a while for his emotions to settle down) and he seems to be the kind of player who "gives as good at he gets" when it comes to the physical side of the game (which is very encouraging IMHO). Different players, to be sure, but there've been moments during the past couple weeks (including last night) when Shinkaruk's feistiness has reminded me a little of how a young Pavel Bure used to approach the physical side of the NHL game.

Hunter's performance definitely eased some of my concerns about his current size. Hunts is going to still get bigger as he gets older but he already seems to be further ahead physically than many of his critics have suggested. While he's definitely undersized (currently) for the NHL, it didn't look (at least last night) like he should have any significant issues playing against bigger opponents.

His game wasn't all roses however. Early in the contest, he looked a bit lost on a couple shifts and it took him a while to really settle in. He made a couple poor reads and he lost on a couple gambles that left him briefly out of position and created on-man situations that his teammates needed to cover for. Some of that you just have to live with as Shinkaruk needs to take risks (in one case, he nearly created a steal that would have led to a high grade scoring chance) in order to fully reap the rewards he's capable of creating offensively.

All in all, it was a pretty impressive night. Once Shinkaruk settled down, he didn't look out of place in an NHL (albeit preseason) top-six role playing with Kesler and Burrows on that game's first line. It's still a longshot for him to actually make this Canucks' 2013-14 roster but he added some more points to the "pro" column last night. Hopefully he continues to perform well and we'll see where things stand once the rest of the preseason has played out.

Good summary of his game but Shinkaruk only spent the first with Kesler and Burrows. He was swappers onto the all rookie line with Jensen and Horvat and almost never saw anymore time with the vets except the late PP in the third.

#825 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

I agree with the first sentence but not with the second. The score of 3-2 against was flattering to the Canucks. It could easily have been 5-2. The entire second half of the game seemed to played on ice tilted down toward the Canuck goal. A shot total of 42-16 against is a very bad start.

This game was a chance for young players to show they are ready to help the team. No one did. Shinkaruk is a good young player but, given his size, will almost certainly get another year in Junior. He is a good bet for next year. None of othe other young forwards showed any sign of being ready.

As for defence, the Canucks should be solid. I think Corrado makes the team.

The best thing about tonight's game was that it provided positive evidence on Lack. He should be okay as the backup.

I couldn't agree more with your concern about the shots. It was ridiculously lopsided. And concerning that Burr didn't get a single shot, while Kes only got 4 despite so much ice time. In fact, their ice time was so excessive it really did make me wonder if Torts didn't have a different game plan for a game in which the result didn't matter. Maybe it was a little rust, or they were just tired from the intense camp. Or, and admittedly it's probably wishful thinking, they were told to focus on shot blocking (which we did in abundance, 21-10) and/or other aspects of the game for evaluation purposes. (Burrows blocked 3 shots in that one game, whereas last season he blocked only 15 in 47 games.)

Whatever the case, it did give us a great idea of where both goalies were and it was good news. Cannata only got beat by that one weird tip-in for a SV% of .933 and Lack, though still needing some work on his rebound control, showed he's recovered from surgery rather nicely with a .926 SV%. So, whether they were told to focus on specific aspects of the game or not, there was still some value in that game to evaluate the younger players. And that was what I meant by not a bad start to the pre-season.

That being said, if we're still being outshot, especially that badly, getting near the start of the season with most/all of our regular lineup I'm going to be very, very concerned.

Edited by poetica, 17 September 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#826 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Anyone have a video of Shinkaruk's goal? I wanna see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ5cGl5TY20&feature=youtu.be
Go, Canucks, Go!

#827 insomniac604

insomniac604

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Shinkaruk - I liked what I saw. He plays a lot bigger than he is. His goal wasn't one you would get from a lot of goalies, but games are about finding the spots. He looked a lot better on the Kes/Burr line than Jensen did, despite a shaky start.

Horvat - It was unfortunate he got put on a crappy line. He got more ice time & better partners as the game progressed. I liked his speed. He's a hard nosed guy.

Gaunce - Nice goal but he looks a little soft out there. I think his babyface has something to do with that. He just looks so nonthreatening that anytime they zoom in on him just standing in a scrum, it looks like somebody left their kid brother on the ice. He needs to establish himself.

Jensen - Made some good plays but Shink was downright better. If there *is* only one spot available, he will have to work hard to earn it. My bet is we will see him in/out during the season and as a full-timer next year.

Kesler - Should never be the C on a PP. lol. When Henrik leads into a zone he waits for his wingers so he has options. Kes drives the net and hopes his wingers get a rebound. Both styles can lead to success, but the PP is about possession. Kesler doesn't like to wait.

Corrado - Looked big and strong out there. Has a solid point shot.

Weber - I still think he should be our 6th D. He is very good on the PP.

Lack - Based on his rusty play in scrimmages I wasn't expecting much, but he was good. Definitely competing for the back-up job.

Edited by insomniac604, 17 September 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#828 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Last night, the best canuck that played was Frank Corrado. Man this guy oozes out calmness and ability to dictate the flow on the backend. Simple out of the zone plays and passes, good defensive coverage, lots of blocked shots and especially on the 5 on 3 PK he didn't look out of place at all. If he keeps this up during the preseason he will play himself onto the Nucks, not barely squeaking in but he simply outplayed guys like Alberts possibly out of a position.

Yannick Weber despite his size, he actually is good positionally in his own end. THough his size and strength will work against him he plays a steady game and I like how he knows when to pinch in the offensive zone. He played a sound game which should get some extra looks.

Gaunce played an okay game. He did have a goal which was really based on Weise's smart play to shoot off the pads, and Gaunce's willingness to go to the net. But Gaunce wasn't physically involved in the game. I wanted to see more of his hitting and ability to use his size to his advantage but im not sure whether he is lazy, or just not a great enough skater that he can't get to those loose pucks or make the gritty plays like grinding it out on the boards. He leaves you wanting more. He needs another year in the OHL to find that consistency playing a physical branded game if he wants to win a center spot especially on this team.

Horvat was average, but i took notice when he went to the net multiple times. A lot of the players we have are perimeter players but his willingness to go to the net shows he could be ready to play the NHL rugged style as a third line center. However, he needs to work on his faceoffs. Played an expected rookie game for the first game so i expect the nerves will be shaken out and will start to show more

Shinkaruk really gave me the confidence that with The Sedin's getting older and Kesler isn't getting much more younger, we have a bright future for the offense and Shinkaruk is a prospect with a calibur that we haven't had offensively for a long time.

25gxmpw.png

#829 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

Last night, the best canuck that played was Frank Corrado. Man this guy oozes out calmness and ability to dictate the flow on the backend. Simple out of the zone plays and passes, good defensive coverage, lots of blocked shots and especially on the 5 on 3 PK he didn't look out of place at all. If he keeps this up during the preseason he will play himself onto the Nucks, not barely squeaking in but he simply outplayed guys like Alberts possibly out of a position.

Yannick Weber despite his size, he actually is good positionally in his own end. THough his size and strength will work against him he plays a steady game and I like how he knows when to pinch in the offensive zone. He played a sound game which should get some extra looks.

Gaunce played an okay game. He did have a goal which was really based on Weise's smart play to shoot off the pads, and Gaunce's willingness to go to the net. But Gaunce wasn't physically involved in the game. I wanted to see more of his hitting and ability to use his size to his advantage but im not sure whether he is lazy, or just not a great enough skater that he can't get to those loose pucks or make the gritty plays like grinding it out on the boards. He leaves you wanting more. He needs another year in the OHL to find that consistency playing a physical branded game if he wants to win a center spot especially on this team.

Horvat was average, but i took notice when he went to the net multiple times. A lot of the players we have are perimeter players but his willingness to go to the net shows he could be ready to play the NHL rugged style as a third line center. However, he needs to work on his faceoffs. Played an expected rookie game for the first game so i expect the nerves will be shaken out and will start to show more

Shinkaruk really gave me the confidence that with The Sedin's getting older and Kesler isn't getting much more younger, we have a bright future for the offense and Shinkaruk is a prospect with a calibur that we haven't had offensively for a long time.

The most noticable thing about Corrado for me yesterday was how comfortable he was communicating on the PK with guys like Kesler and Burrows. He was also shouting and poking, especially on the 5-on-3 PKs, for who to take and how to rotate.

#830 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ5cGl5TY20&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting this.. the shots of his parents looking so proud they were almost in tears made me tear up a bit.

OXwjSoG.gif

#831 insomniac604

insomniac604

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

The most noticable thing about Corrado for me yesterday was how comfortable he was communicating on the PK with guys like Kesler and Burrows. He was also shouting and poking, especially on the 5-on-3 PKs, for who to take and how to rotate.

Corrado had a really good game. He took control of the D and sometimes made me forget that Hamhuis was even playing. Not that Hamhuis had a bad game. Frankie just stood out.

#832 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for posting this.. the shots of his parents looking so proud they were almost in tears made me tear up a bit.

I know. You could almost see them thinking, "THIS is why it was all worth it." It was awesome!

And it was an awesome goal too!
Go, Canucks, Go!

#833 redhdlois

redhdlois

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

I like Gaunce's game. I didn't think he would stick initially but have to rethink that. My concern would be him on the 4th line and not getting enough ice time. Last night was a joke at 10 minutes. Corrado: He is supposed to be at 205 pounds but I saw him bounced a couple of times which surprised me. Archibald: I like this kid. Size and good hands. If he hadn't spent so much time in Kallamazo last year instead of Chicago I would give him more of a chance at making the 4th line. Half a season in Utica and he might challenge.

yes.....I saw Corrado get nailed a few times......

#834 peaches5

peaches5

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

The only prospects that looked good besides the goalies was Shinkaruk midway through the game he picked up his play and was was the best player on the ice. He doesn't only look super skilled but he looks to have some feistiness to him which is a pretty big bonus.

I gotta say though you people who keep saying Tommernes looked good? What game were you at he was absolutely terrible. Hell he had countless giveaways one that should of been a goal and I literally turned to my bro and said there is the first cut right there. The kid looked awful.

Corrado disappointed as well he really did not play as good as i expected. Horvat was invisible, Jensen was invisible if Gaunce hadn't of scored you would of never of known he was there either.

#835 Perfect From Now On

Perfect From Now On

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Shinkaruk seems to feed off the pressure and being on the big stage. Although I don't see him playing for the big club this year, if he he does somehow make it this will be a big reason why.
Posted Image

Paradise with pines and ice.

#836 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,914 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

The only prospects that looked good besides the goalies was Shinkaruk midway through the game he picked up his play and was was the best player on the ice. He doesn't only look super skilled but he looks to have some feistiness to him which is a pretty big bonus.

I gotta say though you people who keep saying Tommernes looked good? What game were you at he was absolutely terrible. Hell he had countless giveaways one that should of been a goal and I literally turned to my bro and said there is the first cut right there. The kid looked awful.

Corrado disappointed as well he really did not play as good as i expected. Horvat was invisible, Jensen was invisible if Gaunce hadn't of scored you would of never of known he was there either.

Thats because you dont know what youre looking for.......too many posters here get hypnotized by the flash and ignore the substance. I thought all 4 of our top prospects played well last night, but gaunce was the best players for the Canucks, and probably had the best overall game for either team. Just becuase you cant see it doesnèt mean it didnt happen. he showed me, last night, that he has an NHL now game.

#837 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

With D-men Corrado was tremendous last night. I was also very impressed by the play of Alex Biega. Good foot speed, smooth skater and a good first pass.

None of the rookies really shone. Shinkaruk's goal was beautiful and Gaunce was in good position most of the night. Jensen was invisible as was Horvat for the most part. Without the fights Sestito and Weise were pretty useless as well. I expected against AHL level talent they would show more.

258o0g4.jpg

#838 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Shinkaruk reminds me a lot of Brendan Gallagher (same grin too), good speed, offense and the willingness to go to the net. It's only relaly game one, so I hope they can all elevate a bit more.
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#839 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Biega was really really bad.

#840 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,459 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Different players, to be sure, but there've been moments during the past couple weeks (including last night) when Shinkaruk's feistiness has reminded me a little of how a young Pavel Bure used to approach the physical side of the NHL game.

No need to quote the whole thing but I agree on the optimism. One thing I will say is about the Bure comparison, you can compare the style of play but you have to remember not just how much of a natural athlete Bure was but also how hard he trained as well. I don't really know what Shinkaruk's work ethic is outside of regular practices and gym sessions, but the reason Bure was able to handle that style as well as he did was the amount of time he put in outside of games.

For Shinkaruk to play that way, he might benefit from being taken under the wing of someone who played with Bure like Linden, or even Bure himself, to show him just how much Bure did even then to make him the elite player he was (and not just by skill level). I'm not suggesting he gets the 24/7 training attention from them, but just some time to share what Bure did and help setup the expectations Shinkaruk might need to come even close to that.

He really is quite vocal, I was surprised by that when watching the Young Stars tourney where I heard him multiple times. I don't talk a lot myself but I've always been a very vocal person as an athlete and he was by far the most noticeable for directing play, which is an asset.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.