183 replies to this topic

#1 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Ben kuzma's tweet. Looks like he's already getting a little hot at the media and they haven't even played 1 game. I personally like it.

https://mobile.twitt...670697271762944

Edited by Canouver, 16 September 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#2 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,464 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

He's just setting the tone and establishing some ground rules. Nothing to see here....

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#3 Shredder

Shredder

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Post game interview with torts is gonna be something else. I hope he rips them a new hole for them to take bathroom breaks with.

Go tortilla Go!
Posted Image
Shinkaruk is going to be the next best thing this organization has seen.

Sig made by me, private message to request one, would like credit.

#4 sexpanther

sexpanther

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Pretty tame I think. As Deb says "establishing some ground rules"
Posted Image

#5 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Haha best part is, he's already the centre of attention....
Posted Image

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,174 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

He's just setting the tone and establishing some ground rules. Nothing to see here....

You have to admit, tact doesn't seem to be his strong suit.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year.

#7 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

http://blogs.theprov...lphones-go-off/

I'm starting to like this guy. A man who walks/talks with such genuine confidence that he doesn't (need to) pretend to be more or able to do more than he can.

As John Tortorella spoke at the podium of his first real opportunity to evaluate the kids tonight in the preseason opener for the Vancouver Canucks and their new coach, a cameraman’s cellphone chimed. Somebody didn’t do their homework. Heads up. Cells off.

“That’s going to be a major-league fine, I tell ya,” bristled Tortorella. “I’ll walk if cellphones go off.”

Tortorella will walk to the elevator tonight and allow assistants Mike Sullivan and Glen Gulutzan to run the bench against the San Jose Sharks. That should give him a better read on Brendan Gaunce, Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk and maybe further confirmation that Nicklas Jensen may be ready for prime time. Hence, the eye-in-the-sky approach instead of his initial plan to patrol the bench.

I’m just not a good enough coach to be able to coach a game to try and win it — which we should be trying to do — plus evaluate and give a fair look to see these kids,” he added. “I want to watch the kids and I usually sit alone because you have people talking about this play and that play. That was a big reason I didn’t go to Penticton (Young Stars Classic) because you had too many people talking and I want to make my own evaluation.”

That said, Gaunce is high on the curiousity meter because of the third-line centre hole and an uneven performance in Penticton and main camp by the 2012 first-round pick.

“He’s one of a few,” added Tortorella. “And this is where the major evaluation is going to happen. We’ll move lines around and I don’t read too much into them. But I want guys to test the waters. There will be mistakes but I want to see enthusiasm.”

Edited by mikeburn, 16 September 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#8 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 27,464 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

POPULAR

The media fails to use tact so he's just giving it to them in their terms. This is how it is - take it or leave it. I like it...he calls the shots and it's his team. It'll be a privilege more than a right to access the team and, with how things play out here, that's likely a good thing.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

-Offensive Threat

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

If he had actually walked, hey, that's a story...
Posted Image

#10 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,948 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

POPULAR

I wouldn't be surprised if that person let their phone ring on purpose. We all know how the "reporters" in this town like to create stories.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#11 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

If he had actually walked, hey, that's a story...

'Torts takes a dump. More at 11.'
Posted Image

#12 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

'Torts takes a dump. More at 11.'

Hey, be fair! That'd make the early 6pm news :lol:

#13 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

POPULAR

unprofessional to have a cell phone go off in a meeting. I don't blame him for his ultimatum on the subject.

#14 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Oh man we need games to start ASAP. Thank goodness there is one tonight.

#15 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

I hate how the NHL only allows the local area to watch the games, living in NY I can't watch any preseason games. :(

canucks141.png

#16 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,174 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

POPULAR

The media fails to use tact so he's just giving it to them in their terms. This is how it is - take it or leave it. I like it...he calls the shots and it's his team. It'll be a privilege more than a right to access the team and, with how things play out here, that's likely a good thing.

Oh sure, but at the same time - especially given his reputation - he'll need to be aware of how he builds his relationship with the local media.

Here's the presser:

#17 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 27,464 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

The thing is, his reputation is what it is and it won't be salvaged via the media. I'm sure he's accepted it for what it is and it's quite apparent he isn't going to change for anyone. Burke's like that too and I admire the man who'll say "this is me, take it or leave it". If he softens and shows weakness, they'll eat him alive. Nope, establish the foundation here....don't like it, there's the door.

At this stage, I doubt Torts is interested in saving face or his media image. He's a hockey coach who wants to win...good enough for me.

(and, as a footnote...cellphones are rude and disruptive...I have no problem with a "no cell phones" during a conference, etc....should be a given and common courtesy. He's giving them his time...if they can't fully engage and turn off the distractions, I don't blame him for not bothering. These pressers are short and sweet, turn off the devices for 10 minutes)

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

-Offensive Threat

#18 webba

webba

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I hate how the NHL only allows the local area to watch the games, living in NY I can't watch any preseason games. :(

Every single one of the pre-season games are on the NHL network in the US.

Edited by webba, 16 September 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,174 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Fair enough, but he's already said in previous interviews since being hired he'll have to look at how he interacts with the media and that he needs to change. The first time a cell rings accidentally (or perhaps on purpose to push his buttons?) and he interrupts his own comment to say he'll walk. It wasn't that bad, but perception means a lot and it's really early on in the process for him here. I don't fault him for calling out someone leaving their ringer on, since it absolutely is rude and disruptive for others, I just question how he did it.

Maybe try this?

Edited by elvis15, 16 September 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#20 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Every single one of the pre-season games are on the NHL network in the US.

NHL should make a deal with network providers to allow fans to pick what team they get. It would be revolutionary and the could make money on it, make it exclusive to NHL so other leagues don't copy it unless they pay a fee or something.

#21 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

I didn't have a problem with it, to be honest. He might have been a little curt, but it is rude as hell to not have your cell phone on silent during a presser. It's bad enough we already can't hear the freaking questions and half the time have to guess who the "he" being talked about is. I don't want to have to try to hear the speaker over annoying cell phone ring tones too. And for the speaker, it's distracting and disruptive. It's just plain old rude and they deserved to be called out for it! After all, I seriously doubt it was that person's first presser. They're professionals and a certain level of professionalism should be expected and demanded.

Just because we have the technology to have a phone with us at all times doesn't mean we have the right to subject other people to it at all times and that's something frankly that a lot of people, young and old, need to be reminded of. Curtly if necessary.

Edited by poetica, 16 September 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#22 webba

webba

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

NHL should make a deal with network providers to allow fans to pick what team they get. It would be revolutionary and the could make money on it, make it exclusive to NHL so other leagues don't copy it unless they pay a fee or something.

The issue is more that the guaranteed revenues from local stations would plummet; if you can't give accurate subscriber counts you can't sell advertising for high rates and make less money. The "a la carte" would only remotely work if the NHL was producing and running the crews and productions for all games, selling all advertising and working out individual deals with 25 cable companies and 5 satellite companies and managing the technology to allow all of that for those providers and their systems, which they do -0- of right now. So, basically, it's just far too overreaching for the league to take a stab at for limited/less upside.

#23 Me_

Me_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

You have to admit, tact doesn't seem to be his strong suit.

And the local media does?

#24 yes we can nucks

yes we can nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

I saw the video on Global noon news. It was hardly the 'going off on the media' that Global tried to make it out to be. Torts had a right to be upset. Having a cellphone ring during an interview is incredibly rude.

#25 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

The issue is more that the guaranteed revenues from local stations would plummet; if you can't give accurate subscriber counts you can't sell advertising for high rates and make less money. The "a la carte" would only remotely work if the NHL was producing and running the crews and productions for all games, selling all advertising and working out individual deals with 25 cable companies and 5 satellite companies and managing the technology to allow all of that for those providers and their systems, which they do -0- of right now. So, basically, it's just far too overreaching for the league to take a stab at for limited/less upside.

Advertising shouldn't be a problem just do what team 1040 does for evening when the program is from fox sports and they cut the feed and play their regional ads and go back to the show/game when it starts back up. It could help spread hockey to US markets that have bad local teams. Anyways it's more vision based than realistic.

#26 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,496 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Our media needs to take a long walk off a short pier....
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,174 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

And the local media does?

Nope, but the Canucks didn't hire them to be one of faces of their team. They also didn't come from another big market where they were fired in part for their relationship with the players and media.

#28 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 27,464 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

When adults display bad manners and rudeness they don't deserve much patience or tolerance in having to bring them up to speed...they should know better.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

-Offensive Threat

#29 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Haha best part is, he's already the centre of attention....

That might be best for the team

23NCfNh.png

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome sig

#30 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 27,464 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

That might be best for the team

Exactly. A great diversion away from the players...gotta be a good thing.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

-Offensive Threat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.