The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts gets interviewed today.

Canouver

http://blogs.theprov...lphones-go-off/

I'm starting to like this guy. A man who walks/talks with such genuine confidence that he doesn't (need to) pretend to be more or able to do more than he can.

As John Tortorella spoke at the podium of his first real opportunity to evaluate the kids tonight in the preseason opener for the Vancouver Canucks and their new coach, a cameraman’s cellphone chimed. Somebody didn’t do their homework. Heads up. Cells off.

“That’s going to be a major-league fine, I tell ya,” bristled Tortorella. “I’ll walk if cellphones go off.”

Tortorella will walk to the elevator tonight and allow assistants Mike Sullivan and Glen Gulutzan to run the bench against the San Jose Sharks. That should give him a better read on Brendan Gaunce, Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk and maybe further confirmation that Nicklas Jensen may be ready for prime time. Hence, the eye-in-the-sky approach instead of his initial plan to patrol the bench.

I’m just not a good enough coach to be able to coach a game to try and win it — which we should be trying to do — plus evaluate and give a fair look to see these kids,” he added. “I want to watch the kids and I usually sit alone because you have people talking about this play and that play. That was a big reason I didn’t go to Penticton (Young Stars Classic) because you had too many people talking and I want to make my own evaluation.”

That said, Gaunce is high on the curiousity meter because of the third-line centre hole and an uneven performance in Penticton and main camp by the 2012 first-round pick.

“He’s one of a few,” added Tortorella. “And this is where the major evaluation is going to happen. We’ll move lines around and I don’t read too much into them. But I want guys to test the waters. There will be mistakes but I want to see enthusiasm.”

The media fails to use tact so he's just giving it to them in their terms. This is how it is - take it or leave it. I like it...he calls the shots and it's his team. It'll be a privilege more than a right to access the team and, with how things play out here, that's likely a good thing.

The media fails to use tact so he's just giving it to them in their terms. This is how it is - take it or leave it. I like it...he calls the shots and it's his team. It'll be a privilege more than a right to access the team and, with how things play out here, that's likely a good thing.

The thing is, his reputation is what it is and it won't be salvaged via the media. I'm sure he's accepted it for what it is and it's quite apparent he isn't going to change for anyone. Burke's like that too and I admire the man who'll say "this is me, take it or leave it". If he softens and shows weakness, they'll eat him alive. Nope, establish the foundation here....don't like it, there's the door.

At this stage, I doubt Torts is interested in saving face or his media image. He's a hockey coach who wants to win...good enough for me.

(and, as a footnote...cellphones are rude and disruptive...I have no problem with a "no cell phones" during a conference, etc....should be a given and common courtesy. He's giving them his time...if they can't fully engage and turn off the distractions, I don't blame him for not bothering. These pressers are short and sweet, turn off the devices for 10 minutes)

Fair enough, but he's already said in previous interviews since being hired he'll have to look at how he interacts with the media and that he needs to change. The first time a cell rings accidentally (or perhaps on purpose to push his buttons?) and he interrupts his own comment to say he'll walk. It wasn't that bad, but perception means a lot and it's really early on in the process for him here. I don't fault him for calling out someone leaving their ringer on, since it absolutely is rude and disruptive for others, I just question how he did it.

Maybe try this?

http://youtu.be/5gsDKtZb8Yc

Archived