The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts gets interviewed today.

Canouver

funny seeing reporters and others respond to that on twitter. some people are so overly sensitive. as a media member, if you dont want torts to be a 'jerk' to you, be on your game. have your phone silent, ask insightful questions, and the guy will treat you with respect. simple as that. can't even count the amount of times he has commented "great question" or something along those lines when some of the better reporters have the floor.

What's the problem? Oh the poor media and their little feelings are hurt because the head coach was giving a thoughtful press conference and answering their questions and didn't like it when a loud phone went off and disrupted him... Come on. I love watching torts speak. The media on the other hand is pathetic and I can't stand them.

So, what people are suggesting is that since the media is rude, it's okay if Torts is, as well?

Basically, fight fire with fire? Oh...okay...this is going to be an interesting season.

People assume the media will back down. But we all know what happened in New York.

I wonder what gong show awaits us.

He wasn't rude. Rude would be gt(hell)o. He was direct and to the point.

I think whomever let their cellphone ring during the presser is the one who lacks basic tact and manners. I would liken it to someone not turning their phone off or to vibrate at a movie theater. It's rude and Tortorella had every right to call the person out.

There are enough idiots at those pressers that I am sure that Torts will be baited at some point. The question the journos are probably asking or taking bets on (as they down their beers) is how long it takes for them to get a reaction from Torts. I have no use for the breed.

If this is as bad as it gets, I have no issues, but if it gets worse as the season wears on it might end up where we're looking for a diversion from the diversion.

I'm sure that's not the strategy he has in mind, but it won't settle down at all if he has that reaction even unintentionally when dealing with Vancouver media. Plenty of stupid reporters asking dumb questions, so soon enough he'll be looking around the room to see if Larry Brooks is hiding behind some of them.

There's definitely onus on both sides to be better, but it's gotta start somewhere. With Torts' comments after getting hired, it seemed like he was going to try and take that on. I have seen it a number of times, but this isn't one of them. The questions will only get worse and he'll only get more frustrated as they keep coming and bad games happen.

I'm not worried about this comment on it's own, even if it could have been better worded, but I am if it's a sign of things to come. The media in attendance at every presser aren't going to be top notch sports journalists, so there's only going to be more situations for Torts to get frustrated at.

Archived