The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

Nichushkin may turn out to be the better player, at least offensively. He is still considered a high reward, high risk player.

The fact is, you don't trade your #1 goalie for a high risk player. Horvat is a sure thing.

Unfortunately for Bo, he will always be rated against Nich and Schneids for much of his career with the Nucks. Hopefully he is able to perform well and make the fans forget about the other two.

Funny you say that since I always wanted the Canucks to draft Kopitar before the draft happened similar to Nischuskin who I think might be the next Kopitar only on the wing. I like Horvat too but I wanted Nischushkin before the draft and I thought the Canucks traded into top 10 to get him since Horvat wasn't even in my radar.

Dat sig.

I think its poor taste to write Nichushkin off just because he's Russian. There are tons of Russians Playing in their careers in the NHL. Saying Bo is the better player because Nichushkin will flee to the KHL is naive.

​Fact is there Both good players nobody knows how they will develop at this point. Management want's to take the team in the direction of being tougher to play against a Tortorella style team that win or loose will make teams pay the price every night.

Could Valeri be the next Malkin?? Maybe

Could Bo Ho be the next Messier???

At this point its way to early to say. We will just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Only time will tell but sayin one is better than the other because Valeri is Russian and there is a chance he might choose to play in the KHL IMO is wrong headed. You draft the player you feel fits your team need/model not model your team after your new shiny toy.

i cant wait to see what everyone has to say in a couple years when Nichushkin decides to bolt to the KHL. Gunna be "ZOMG SHOULVE DRAFTED MAX DOMI" cause he might have 2 more goals and 3 more assits than Bo LOL

Ive always loved russians players but i would not have taken him over a good clutch canadian kid. How many cups do major russian players have? How many winners in the past 10 years have had a canadian captain? Nuff said. You just need to relax. Shall i bring up Fabian Brunnstrum??? I remember when CDC was LIVID when we lost that sweepstakes, and he got a hattrick in his first nhl game and howd that turn out? LOL

I made the same one but was closed due to mod favoritism.

This is almost identical topic but was allowed to go on and on.

Well, it should be closed. It's way to early to be discussing the future potential of players that were just drafted. Have this discussion in 3/4 years or more.

Part of what makes me wary is that Dallas' new GM Jim Nill, who selected Nichushkin, was previously the long-time director of scouting for the Red Wings... and we all know what gems they've managed to unearth over the years. Guess I just don't wanna relive Shawn Antoski 2.0 - but yeah, only 1 game. Lets hope Torts gives these young guys some rope unlike Coach V.

Using Antoski as an analogy suggests you don't know much about either player - that[s a pretty bad analogy that doesn't help you make your point.

You also don't know who Nill would have selected if he had the 9th pick. Nill selected Nichuskin in the 10 spot - you're assuming Dallas wouldn't have taken Horvat themselves.

I'll say it now. Nichushkin will be a hell of a player, top player in the next few years when he gets a full chance to play. He may be better than Horvat statistically. But Bo is going to be the complete player that we all want and need. A player that can play on the PP, PK, shootout etc, and honestly that's all I want. We do have Hunter for the snipe show type skills though ;).

Nichushkin is going to get laid out this year with his skating style if he makes the team, mark my words.

His head is down too much, his balance is too sideways, and he is going to be shocked that he was was hit cleanly in parts of the ice he didn't expect. The NHL defenders are going to step into him every time they get a chance.

He's going to learn the hard way that his size won't get him a free pass into the offensive zone.

As quite a few people have mentioned, the Canucks were able to draft Shinkarek, which helps make up for the undrafted offense that Nichushkin would have provided.

Horvat, if all goes according to plan, will be a solid 2 way center who will hopefully pitch in 50-60 points; while Shinkarek will hopefully pitch in 60-70 pts.

Had Shinkarek not dropped and the Canucks drafted a defender or another 2 way player, then this is a bigger problem. As it is, Gillis got two fantastic choices this year.

As much as I like Bo, I think in a deep draft with a top ten pick you gotta take a first line capable player. Especially with Valeris size and nhl readiness I was really surprised we passed on him. Still too soon to tell but I believe we passed up on a potential all star just because of his nationality.

Archived