The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

How is the draft rigged? Fairly easily, actually.

The better question would be why. And imho it's to help promote the game in the south. Dallas needs some help in getting some fans back and if this guy pans out quickly, yay for them. Horvat will be a good, do-everything centerman, but it's going to take more time. Anyway, pure tinfoil talk. Means nothing, so carry on.

Tinfoil talk describes the thread lol.

Well, it should be closed. It's way to early to be discussing the future potential of players that were just drafted. Have this discussion in 3/4 years or more.

It works better to discuss a players potential before they reach it....otherwise we are just discussing their current skills. Arguing who will be better is fun and let's us view other people's opinions of certain players.

Nichushkin is by far the better offensive player. Not even close. Much more skill, better size too.

Horvat is better defensively, more clutch, better fit for the playoffs and most importantly a good fit at center which is what we want.

Nichushkin would have been nice, but we wouldn't have had many centers after Henrik and Kesler, whereas we've already got big physical wingers in Jensen and Kassian.

The opt out is time will tell. Odd's are the big Russian will be the better player this year?

I'm not sure I buy that Jensen is physical and I, like everyone else, hope that Kassian can play with the Twins?

The Twins have been screaming for a big powerful and fast, goal scoring winger for years! And for an argument where we have two big winger prospects, it could also be argued we had two recent 1st round draft picks (Schroeder and Gaunce) invested in centers.

you'll be glad the canucks took horvat 3 years from now when nichushkin's entry level deal runs out and he threatens to go to russia if he doesn't get 7 mil a year.

Having to give a good player $7 mill is not a bad problem. Ask Philly what they would like to pay Bobrovsky?

Like I said in another thread, who would you rather have, Radulov or Ladd?

One has two cup rings, the other is playing in the KHL.

Nichuskin > Radulov!

Nichushkin is by far the better offensive player. Not even close. Much more skill, better size too.

Horvat is better defensively, more clutch, better fit for the playoffs and most importantly a good fit at center which is what we want.

Nichushkin would have been nice, but we wouldn't have had many centers after Henrik and Kesler, whereas we've already got big physical wingers in Jensen and Kassian.

How do you know all this after 1 pre-season game.

The Legend Of Hannu Jarvenpaa... is my go to response for this genre of OP.

http://www.curtiswalker.com/jets/jarvenpaa.aspx

The Legend of Hannu Jarvenpaa

In the 1986 Entry Draft, the Jets had the 71st overall selection and took right winger

Hannu Jarvenpaa out of Finland. Though he only played three uneventful seasons for the Jets, scoring only 11 goals in 114 regular season games, his tenure as a Jet started in a manner which gave fans hope he might have a much larger impact than he eventually did.

On September 19, 1986, Jarvenpaa made his debut as a Jet in an exhibition game against the Minnesota North Stars. The game was the first on the Jets exhibition schedule and coming into the game, little was expected from the soft-spoken 23-year-old Jarvenpaa, who was making his North American debut.

What followed made Jarvenpaa somewhat of a folk hero and left Jets fans with a lasting impression that those in attendance will always remember him by. The Jets won the game 7-4, but Jarvenpaa scored the first, second, fifth and sixth goals. It was the first time he had ever scored four goals in a game, but managed to on this night, with the help of linemates Thomas Steen and Gilles Hamel. All four goals came in heavy traffic around the North Stars net, which prompted not just one, but two standing ovations from the crowd, who obviously liked what they saw and the legend was born. Jarvenpaa also put a big check on Dino Ciccarelli in the first period, and for his efforts, was named first star of the game.

His legendary status among long-time Jets fans grew from the ashes with lightning-quick speed and many fans to this day still remember the "Hannu Jarvenpaa Game". His one night of fame gave him as much notoriety as any Jet of his time and those in attendance that night won't soon forget the first impression he left.

I was there ;)

Tinfoil talk describes the thread lol.

Looks like someone hasn't noticed the systematic handing of games to certain teams by the officials. That's a known and accepted fact of the NHL today so rigging (or at least colluding to the point of knowing what's going to go on before the draft starts) isn't a jump. It's a lot easier than rigging a game.

To samjamjam: I herd they even have head sets yelling the players exactly what to do on the ice. Lou is told to let pucks in so Canucks will lose and so on. Goes even deeper than that.... kids just learning to skate are told what to do by chips implanted in their heads so that the nhl can control the players coming into the draft in 15 years. and everything is a big set up so it goes all as planned. It's why kovy left he was tipped off to the system and got out as fast as he could. Bo hunter has been in the nhl for the Canucks for over 40 years. Maybe they even control us to as what we say on a message board... the new Canucks slogan should be "We are all pawns"

I see Nichushkin didnt do anything today....neither did barkov or mackinnon....there really is no point in comparing the picks at this point...some guys have bigger potentials and some guys are more ready right now than others.

Mackinnon = BUST!

Should hve drafted Jonez!!1!

Mackinnon = BUST!

Should hve drafted Jonez!!1!

Honestly, I've always been of the opinion they should have drafted Jones or Drouin cause I felt with O'reilly and Duchene, they could afford to pass on the centre and add a dynamic winger or a potential franchise dman. And in a worst case scenario, in 2 season they could draft Connor McDavid, just my thoughts anyways

Did we pick the wrong player again?

While Horvat looked impressive in the young guns tournament, he wasn't very noticeable in his first pre-season action, while Nichushkin... scored 2 goals and had 9 O.o shots, a hit, and 2 blocked shots in his first game.

I realize it's incredibly early, but what a way to make a first impression.

Are you really a Canuck fan?

Nuchuskin would have been a top 3 pick if it wasn't for his nationality. How can you trust a Russian these days??? What if he pulls a kovalcuk on you!!! Would you trade schiender for a Russian that can bail out on you?? One argument with Torts and he's on the next plane outta town!!!! Horvat was the safest pick and I think he will be a great player for many years to come !!!

Archived